Sheraton Newark NJ- No Lounge Weekends & Nothing for Evening

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Oct 28, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm now at the Sheraton Newark Airport NJ for the 1st time since the lounge open 7 days policy was instituted, which was several months ago, and was not only just told that the lounge is not open Friday evenings nor at all on the weekends but that there's no coupon for appetizers or anything; that I should come by the front desk in the morning for a breakfast voucher.

When I stayed here many times previously, I'd always been given the breakfast voucher on check-in, as a special benefit for Plats even though the lounge was closed.

Now that the policy is the the lounge is supposed to be open, it's actually gotten a bit worse with having to stop at the desk, the completely opposite direction from the restaurant.

About to phone Customer Service about this.

Jimgotkp and canucklehead like this.
  2. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just got off the phone with a very nice CS gent who phoned the hotel and got me a $10.00 bar credit and said I could get the breakfast voucher now if I wanted it.

Time for that beer.

Jimgotkp and canucklehead like this.
  3. Jimgotkp
    Original Member

Jimgotkp Gold Member

Status Points:
    Great to hear you got something. Absolutely hate it when hotels don't follow corporate's rules.

4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fairly brazen to put it right on the confirmation email, too!

5. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    UPDATE: Starwood Champion/Lurker contacted me that Corporate had also become involved and got in touch with the hotel.

Thanks, William.

6. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This place is very convenient to the A/P, but it is a bit of a cave. Very dreary. I'm sure it is extremely empty on the weekends.

7. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was actually packed this past weekend. Sometimes empty, sometimes full because of an event or gathering.

8. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to stay here over the weekend in December because a) convenience to EWR, and b) keeps me from paying larcenous rates to stay in NYC ("I don't want to BUY the hotel, just rent a room.")

9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to save more money, instead of the bus or train to NYC, have $1.50 exact change and take the #62 bus from the airport to Newark Penn Station, then take the PATH train into NYC. Yes, takes a little longer, but much cheaper. Tried for the 1st time this past stay, and if I leave enough time for it in the future, it’s my new way to get there and back.