Sheraton Miyako Osaka - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Simon, Jun 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I stayed here a couple of days ago and I wasn't very impressed. Whilst I didn't make use of the pool, club lounge or breakfast so I only have the room and check in and out experience to go by, I'd struggle to bring myself back to this hotel.

The hotel is located about 40 minutes from the airport where I was coming from and I checked in at around 11 pm. The only thing that was said to me during the entire check in process was "Good evening" and my room key, lounge access and breakfast cert were all thrusted at me. I had to go back later on to confirm exactly what they thought my welcome amenity was as they never bothered to ask. Maybe it was the whole Japanese person scare of a foreigner thing. I guess I'd have to go back to see whether i just go a bad reception staff member.

They failed to mention I'd been upgraded but I noticed this already in advance I'd been upgraded to a Premier City view room. This room was extremely hot (normal Japanese standards that i'm used to but still hate) and the air con only went down to 20 degrees on the dial which meant the room was 24 degrees so i ended up cranking the dial past the suido min temperate (I think I broke it) until it went down to 15 degree (min temperate) which made the room sleepable. Whilst the room never got to 15 degrees is probably got down to 20 after these extreme measure which was fine.

Apart from that, the rest of the room was as expected.

whkento, kaka and uggboy like this.
  2. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Argh, am planning a couple of stays here in August! Is it really that bad?

uggboy likes this.
  3. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It seemed that way. I forgot to mention how great value for money it is.

Maybe I was just unlucky and the pool, breakfast and club lounge are the highlights....

uggboy likes this.
  4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the cheapness is a huge factor. Doing six stays in six days, alternating between the Sheraton and the Westin, but the Sheraton is less than half the price...

uggboy likes this.
  5. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Maybe go for it then. Just about all the time the rooms booked in Japan are totally flexible so if it doesn't work out you can probably cancel the trip half way through.

Now i've had time to think, I'd probably go back again to suss out whether it was just a bad staff member or the hotel as a whole.

Maybe some other MP members can share their experiences at this hotel.......

uggboy likes this.
  6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll be able to post impressions in August... :p

uggboy likes this.
  7. adexpert
    Original Member

adexpert Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here a couple years ago and I found it to be just fine. As I recall the staff was quite friendly and the room was of the proper temperature.

They've got a shuttle that runs quite frequently (like clockwork) between the hotel and a nearby train station (I forget the name). If you hang a left out of the hotel there's a subway entrance perhaps 5 minutes walk away and if you keep goign another 5 - 10 minutes you get to the station the shuttle drops you at.

uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  8. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Going to be arriving here on Saturday on a non-status (boo!) booking for five days. Any tips?

Currently doing Plat challenge and tried emailing to ask for comp Gold but no dice. Anyone have better luck?

uggboy likes this.
  9. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Check if any of your credit cards or FF elite cards give free SPG Gold status. You might have to call to have it added to your SPG account.

uggboy likes this.
  10. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Highly unlikely given he lives in Japan and I think the only way here to get it through credit cards is to have an Amex Plat charge card or Cent card.

uggboy, sendaiben and MSPeconomist like this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know the AmEx cards work for this, but does it apply only to AmEx with USA addresses? Also, IIRC, NW PE got some hotel status, which I thought included SPG Gold.

Another idea is that AAA gets SPG Preferred or something, which is less than Gold but gets some of the same benefits. Perhaps other auto clubs get the same treatment. I do know that most SPG AAA rates either specify auto association or say AAA or CAA.

12. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the ideas, but don't have any of those :(

We really are the poor cousins of the mileage game out here...

uggboy likes this.
  13. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It applies to all Amex Platinum charge cards around the world to my knowledge. Sadly AAA club in Japan (AKA JAF) gets you no status with SPG.

uggboy likes this.
  14. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brief review so far: will now be staying here for six nights, so I'll be able to post more thoughts afterwards.

First impression: good. The hotel is extremely reasonable, and the room was excellent for the price (maybe one of the best rooms I've had at this price point -I don't have SPG status at the moment, so no upgrade or benefits).

The room is well-lit, feels large, bathroom worn but clean, nice TV (and DVD player -sweet!), large working area so I can use a laptop and spread papers around, comfortable desk chair.

The buses to Itami and Kansai International airports stop outside the hotel. Extremely easy connection to either.

Staff have been perfectly fine so far, although I tend to have little to do with them. Was addressed in Japanese during check in (something I personally like) so can't comment on the staff's English ability.

The area around the hotel is not particularly exciting: took a walk around last night and while it is not as good as being in Namba or Shinsaibashi, there are some restaurants, a coffee shop, and a department store nearby.

Temperature in the room is fine, although AC unit is very old and just has low, medium, and high settings. Seems to work just fine though.

One possible issue (that has not been a problem yet) is that the soundproofing doesn't seem to be all that great. You can hear people in the corridor quite clearly, something that might be problematic if the hotel was fuller or you had noisy people nearby. So far it's been fine: fingers crossed.

For now big thumbs up for this pleasant and very reasonable hotel! :)

whkento, uggboy and JALPak like this.
  15. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    And after six nights, still very impressed! No problems (and I am pretty fussy about service), reasonable, convenient. Will definitely be back.

whkento likes this.
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must be a reason!;)

17. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, the building is nowhere near as impressive as the Westin, but in terms of the overall experience, I would probably take the Sheraton if I was staying by myself on business, and the Westin if travelling with my wife :D

uggboy and whkento like this.
  18. kaka
    Original Member

kaka Gold Member

Status Points:
    ha! i was there the night after simon did but it never crossed my mind i ought to post anything here. well, that summarizes it up. i was there, used the room, did not feel either welcome or hated, but had the wireless internet and the business center (for the internet). the room was cool-ish after a cold shower. and nth else was added to the room.
    will i be back? it cost me 8000 yen and there was a triple points promo. could have been worse but well, as sendaibensaid, "I would probably take the Sheraton if I was staying by myself on business, and the Westin if travelling with my wife"

whkento likes this.
  19. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Quick update: I was here last year for six nights -this time I only stayed one night on business (Feb 2013).

As before, I was impressed. The hotel is extremely convenient, accessible by bus directly from both airports, and by subway.

The good
    Clean and pleasant room
    Extremely varied buffet breakfast
    Polite and well-trained staff
    Great location

The bad
    This hotel is very popular with large tour groups -can make the lobby and breakfast a bit chaotic

Overall
    This is a great hotel to stay at on business: comfortable, convenient, and reasonably-priced.

uggboy likes this.
  20. fumitani
    Original Member

fumitani Gold Member

Status Points:

location sucks!!!!!!! enough said from a local :p

21. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Suits my purposes just fine...

-what's wrong with it? :D