Sheraton Minneapolis West (Minnetonka, Minnesota) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is a largely standard Sheraton for its generation--the time of mid-rise hotels with atriums containing all-day dining restaurants and indoor pools. Some renovations were done several years ago when Starwood reinvested in the Sheraton brand.

The red-orange brick hotel is located by the side of an expressway (I-394, which connects downtown Minneapolis with the ring expressway I-494/I-694 that in turn provides access to I-94 and I-35, including I-35W and I-35E) across the street from the parking lot of a large shopping center (Macys and similar mid-level retailers; bookstores and a gourmet grocery store and wine store are located separately on the far side of the shopping center). I'd guess the hotel is about ten miles from downtown Minneapolis, easily under a half-hour except during the height of rush hour. The airport is farther in distance, but should take about a half-hour outside of rush hour times. AFAIK there are no walkable restaurants outside of the hotel. If you're driving, get directions because access from the expressway exit is a bit tricky, even though you can see the hotel.

The building is about five stories high and is build around two atriums, with corridors ringing the atriums and a few rooms having no outside windows (just over the atrium). The front atrium contains the front desk (around the corner to the left as you enter the atrium, some distance and not visible from the main entrance), a standard new Sheraton business center, and the all-day dining restaurant which tends to feature buffets. The bar is off to the right, sort of behind the restaurant. The back atrium contains a small indoor pool. The noise from the pool really echoes, so be careful about the location of your room, although the front atrium also has some noise problems. The lounge is located on the top floor between the two atriums and has no exterior windows. It's small and is open 24/7 for water and the computer internet terminal.

Rooms are standard Sheraton with small bathrooms (combination tub/shower). The hotel has only a few suites, so don't necessarily expect an upgrade as a Plat. In the past, the lounge was sometimes closed without notice on weekends and slow periods.

I've seen some interesting special rates at this hotel for hunters and for visitors to the Renaissance Fair.

uggboy likes this.
  2. JFKSFOLAX_friend

JFKSFOLAX_friend Active Member

Status Points:
    Well, you mentioned the mall across the street. Outside of that mall is a restaurant called Bacio which is delicious. I wouldn't want to do the walk in the winter...but, if the weather is okay the walk isn't bad.

uggboy and MSPeconomist like this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the great review, have just had a look on their website, they are newly renovated and offer everything what a guest expects from a Sheraton these days, even the new Shine for Sheraton products on the rooms and Sheraton Link Internet stations plus newly renovated club lounge! Having said that, the location without a car seems to be not so good!;)

4. Minneapolis
    Original Member

Minneapolis Active Member

Status Points:
    Redstone is a great restaurant and no more than 500' away.

5. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps I should add that my comments about the (lack of) proximity of restaurants were made from the perspective of a cold, dark, and snowy winter night. In better weather, one would of course be willing to walk longer distances to/from dinner.

6. mikeef
    Original Member

mikeef Silver Member

Status Points:
    Trivia: The mall next door is Ridgedale Mall, which is featured/referenced in Juno. Not the world's most upscale mall.

This hotel is generally my hotel of choice when visiting MSP. Location is not great, but service is friendly and the price is always right. As MSPeconomist pointed out, the architecture is not exactly exciting, but it's a functional hotel.

I'll second the point about the pool noise.

Mike