Sheraton Maui Resort & Spa - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Jul 23, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked in the Wiki but didn't see a Master Thread for this property. This post is a stub and will be edited to include additional information. Information is current as of 23/JUL/2013.

Hotel's website: http://www.sheraton-maui.com

Hotel Information: 508 rooms and suites, conference facilities, on-site spa. No club lounge.

Resort Fee: $30/night. Covers parking, shuttle service, free internet access in all rooms, etc. See link for full list. Note: To help with "dilution" of Platinum beenfits, Platinum guests receive upgraded internet access for free, something the hotel charges others ~$16/day for. We were instructed when signing on to accept the charges and they'd be removed from the bill. The speed difference was notable, especially with a full hotel.

Room amenities: My experience is in a Deluxe Ocean View room (Bldg. 6). It included a mini-fridge and microwave in a recessed shelf area, perfect for saving and reheating leftovers and chilling drinks and aloe gel for sunburns.

Suite Night Awards/Upgrades: I booked more than six months in advance with a standard "fifth night free" all points award + 1 extra night (total of six nights) starting on a Wednesday running through the next Tuesday. I applied Suite Night Awards at the time of booking. They did not clear and no suite upgrades were available for this Platinum/100 guest for the six nights of our stay. To be fair, the hotel was completely booked, had a large convention in, and provided an excellent upgrade to the Deluxe Ocean View room noted above. Experience may vary, but I would not count on peak season upgrades to suites clearing here as many families will purchase suites for their use. [Editorial comment: In a separate thread (link pending) one Hawaii resident noted that this was the busiest tourist season ever on record in Hawaii. Also, the Westin Maui and WKORV were both also completely sold out.]

Starwood Vacations: This property pushes Starwood Vacations ownership/tours to all guests and has incentives for participating in the "90-minute tour." You will receive voicemail on your room phone several times during your stay. Typical offers were for $100 resort credit, etc. We were not interested in the tour so I can't say what specific offers were. Note that your Resort Fee includes a Tote Bag that is only obtainable from the SVO desk. We had no problem obtaining the bag and politely declining the tour.

Restaurants: Black Rock Terrace (casual), Black Rock Steak & Seafood, Teppan-yaki Dan, Cliff Dive Bar, Mai Tai Bar, Link@Sheraton Lounge, Maui Nui Luau

SPG Kids Program (verify with hotel website): SPG members enjoy a flat daily fee of $20 per child that features all-inclusive access to Keka'a breakfast buffet at Black Rock Terrace, special keiki menu offerings and beverages all day at Cliff Dive Bar and Mai Tai Bar, and dinner offerings at Black Rock Steak and Seafood when dining with an adult.

SPG Platinum Amenity: Standard 500 points or the Platinum Breakfast Amenity (I did not ask about the local amenity choice but will when we check out). The breakfast amenity is far and away the best deal as it includes a substantial continental breakfast buffet (for two) in the main restaurant that includes coffee/juice, fruit, cereals, breads, cheeses and smoked salmon. For an additional $8 (USD) per day you can upgrade to the full breakfast buffet with a variety of breakfast meats, pre-prepared egg dishes (during our stay it was eggs benedict, sometimes over ham and sometimes over turkey, with the eggs actually poached hard), french toast, steel cut oatmeal, miso soup, small belgian waffles and a cook-to-order omelette/egg station, etc. [Editorial comment: In any case please remember to tip on the original cost of the breakfast, even the "free" continental breakfast if that's your breakfast of choice. The servers don't work for free and sadly seemed surprised when I asked for a $0 check so I could write a tip to the room. Gratuity in the US is not included on small parties.]

Location: Ka'anapali, just north of Lahina, HI. The hotel is located along a strand of resorts on Ka'anapali beach and includes the famous Black Rock beach.

Activities: To be posted

Shuttle: To be posted

Nearby restaurants: Best deals: Subway @ Whaler's Village has a $3 breakfast combo that includes a 6" breakfast flatbread and drink. Mr. Sub in the same shopping center has very, very large subs that can easily be two meals or feed two with one sandwich. More casual and upscale dining options include Leilani's. Round Table Pizza is nearby and will deliver but is easily as expensive as in-hotel dining, depending on your order.