Sheraton Leblon Rio de Janeiro Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jbcarioca, Mar 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    This hotel is listed as Leblon and gives the address as Leblon, but it is actually on Avenida Niemeyer a few minutes away from Leblon. The location is a mixed blessing.

The views are really outstanding, the beach is usually not crowded, the pool, spa and facilities are nice. Those advantages are partly a result of the location, a bit away from everything else,

It is in easy walking distance to Leblon, but the hotel faces the favela Vidigal on the other side, so most people take taxis to and from Leblon. Safety has improved very much in recent months but taxi travel is essential in the evening. Luckily the taxis are plentiful and cheap.

There are many flight crews at the hotel and lots of conventions and receptions. The facilities are quite good, the prices are modest for Rio.

To/from GIG by yellow taxi is about 45 minutes in light traffic and cost about R$50 ($30 right now). The hotel and/or flight crews are expert in judging time/cost to get anywhere.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=255&language=en_US

doc and excelsior like this.
  2. Sweet Willie
    Original Member

Sweet Willie Gold Member

Status Points:
    EXCEPT on new year's eve. We were in Rio over NYE and I had read about the road sometimes being closed between Leblon & this hotel on NYE, so we stayed at a place right on Copacabana for NYE at the Hotel Atlantico for a very reasonable rate with a good free breakfast included. Room was sparse but who cared as we were right on the beach for NYE, Fantastic.

We did stay at the Sheraton Leblon after NYE. We liked the hotel a lot and the large pool area. View from our room was wonderful. The beach happened to be very crowded with locals the few days after NYE, perhaps because they were still on holiday? For those who like the pool, the pools are elevated by 15-20' above the beach so you won't have to worry about the locals infringing on your space.

We spoke with a number of guests who did have issues with taxis getting back to the hotel on NYE so we felt good about staying on Copacabana for NYE.

While I liked the property itself, but the fact that it's being removed from the beaches of Copacabana or Ipanema, I'll not stay at it again when in Rio unless I really need to stay at an SPG property.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or during Carnival, or during major school holidays. I really should have made some caveats. When major events take place all Rio becomes overwhelmingly short of hotel space. Lots of new construction is happening, but it will be a while.

I rarely recommend this hotel except for people who have cars.

4. tassojunior
    Original Member

tassojunior Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed here a few times. Where most airline crews stay. The IC is just down the road and also popular with crews.

Very far from Rio. You have to take a cab into Leblon or Copacabana. I don't remember the cab ever being very much and the location is certainly safer than most others. Location wise (but not safety wise) some of the Copa hotels (Meridien) are better. But the Sheraton is really beautiful and the buffets are grand.

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Meridien was in Leme rather than Copacabana and it closed some yeasr ago, and is now, after complete renovation the Windsor Atlantica.

The Sheraton is well within Rio de Janeiro, in fact all of Barra da Tijuca is also part of Rio. Some years ago it might have been different but the Sheraton Leblon is now in one of the less safe areas, because it is across the street from a favela, Vidigal.

6. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I never felt particularly unsafe in the area although possibly I should have

The walk down to leblon/Ipanema seemed no more than a short stroll to me

I took a hotel car to the airport. Don't recall the cost but it seemed reasonable and the cost was fixed. Worked out very well for me as the trip took almost 2 1/2 hours

Jeff

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The walk has not taken me more than 15 minutes. I agree that it is safe enough during the day. During the night is another story.

Your trip to GIG probably took place at rush hour. The normal time, outside of rush hour, will typically be about an hour. Still, it is much longer than, say, from Copacabana. I am glad they had fixed prices at reasonable cost from the hotel. I did not know about that. Thanks.

8. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    In an important bit of good news for people staying here, a UPP (a police and pacification program) has just been installed in Vidigal. That should make teh walk from the Sheraton to Leblon far safer and more pleasant. I still would not walk it at night.