Sheraton Krabi or LM Koh Samui?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by edekba, Aug 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked around but couldn't find a review with pic of the LMKS. I did find one of Sheraton Krabi from dealswelike; but I was wondering If someone could sway me one way or another.

Me/Fiance are planing on going this winter ... I haven't been to Krabi or KS but have been to phuket (saw gary's post of the Westin Siray and passed) about 10 yrs ago. She's never been to .th in general ... so this ought to be a good trip for us.

I also should be Plat by trip time; if not gold for sure. I am fluent in Thai, but illiterate so :(

thanks

Kalboz likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or maybe the LM Khao Lak?

Kalboz likes this.
  3. KENNECTED
    Original Member

KENNECTED Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz and edekba like this.
  4. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yup read them all already.

Kalboz likes this.
  5. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a review of both
    Here's LM Koh Samui http://boardingarea.com/blogs/verygoodpoints/2012/05/30/lmkohsamui/
    Here's LM Khao Lak http://boardingarea.com/blogs/verygoodpoints/2012/05/07/lmkl/

I haven't been to Sheraton Krabi yet, but will be there in December. I can tell you that the LM Koh Samui is a much smaller property than the LM Khao Lak. Another difference is that the LM Koh Samui only has one onsite restaurant where the Khao Lak has three, so you get some variety if you're staying on property.

I just sent a colleague and her fiance to Koh Samui on their honeymoon and they had a wonderful experience.

If money or points isn't an issue, then the W Koh Samui would be my first choice.

If you tell me what you like to do or what you're trying to get out of the stay I might be able to make a better recommendation.

Kalboz, edekba and KENNECTED like this.
  6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks!

Well I like to just relax honestly. I remember when I was a child (before the tsunami) i was at PP from Phuket and I was shoulder deep in the water and could still see my toes. I havent been back to the region in a while, but from what I read Phuket just aint what It used to be.

However seeing as its my Fiance's first time to thailand, I would like to also have some city life to walk around with at night and not be couped up in the hotel for 3 - 4 nights. Just from reading and asking a few relatives; LMKL seems out because there is not much to do at KL.

Kalboz likes this.
  7. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    LMKL is much more remote and tougher to get anywhere. The town is very small and pretty touristy IMO. I would go to KL if you want a resort only vacation. One benefit of KL is that it's a large property and upgrades are much more common.

LMKS is more romantic and much closer to town and the airport. You will spend way less time getting to and from. The pool is small, but lovely. The beach is not so clean at LMKS - not that they can control that really. It's very easy to take day trips to the islands from LMKS and you're only about 10 minutes from town. The LMKS is very new and still in great shape. And if you go, you have to participate in the evening ceremony. It's amazing. The one thing about the LMKS that I didn't care for (as you can tell from my review) is that the bathrooms are all outdoors (toilet, shower, tub, etc...) and while you have complete privacy, it does take some getting used to.

Personally, I really liked the Westin Siray Bay. I loved the fact that it was so easy to get to and from Phuket Town. The beach is about equal to what you'll find at LMKS but there are many more pools and restaurants. The property is huge so you're also likely to get upgraded and it's very new.

The other options you can consider are the W as I mentioned, the brand new Vana Belle which is brand new and opening in Oct 2012. I think the Vana Belle will have a better beach location as it's not on a cove.

Phi Phi Islands are still amazing, even after the Tsunami. It's worth a day trip there. I had a great time there and on some of the other smaller islands.

8. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    yeah from what you say I think my choices are down to LMKS or Krabi Sheraton. I saw on SPG about Vana Belle; but do not know $$$$ or availability yet. We're planing on going to BKK after xmas and staying through the New Year with a trip to either USM/KBV/HKT the last week before heading back home.

note: I just heard from my relatives that Krabi is awesome, less tourist and still beautiful and calm yet has a city area that isnt too small nor too big. An added plus is that you can get to PP from there as well. I think I might head there...

Kalboz likes this.
  9. VeryGoodPoints

Status Points:
    I'll be at Krabi for NYE.
    I did NYE in BKK two years ago and it was very cool. If you can get a hotel w/a view of the Grand Palace they do an amazing show w/thousands of Chinese Lanterns being floated into the air. Royal Orchid Sheraton is great for fireworks. But my personal favorite is the St Regis BKK. I'll be there for XMas.

10. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Oh sweet!
    I plan on staying @ the ROS until we goto wherever we'll be going.

Kalboz likes this.