Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa (Hawaii) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by JasonH, Mar 1, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. JasonH
    Original Member

JasonH Silver Member

Status Points:
    A sprawling complex on the opposite side of Kona from the airport right on the bay, this resort is classic open air Hawaiian architecture from the 70's and 80's (read, poured concrete). Despite being in town for the Ironman World Championship the place never felt full. The front desk and lobby is beautiful and has a nice view of the mountainous interior of the island.

There is a shuttle bus that runs most days into downtown Kona letting you escape the resort and explore town a bit. It also takes you to one of the few beaches on the big island.

Our room was a garden view on the second floor. The room itself wasn't anything special, but it was large and the A/C worked well on the humid days leading up to the race.

The pool was very nice and the water slide and connecting water path let kids and the kid-at-heart play in both sun and shade. Service at poolside was quick and attentive. You had to be quick though to get the good seats at the pool overlooking the bay.

The gift shop was well stocked, which given the location away from shops was a necessity. The prices were no worse than in town at the ABC Store. The spa was excellent, but definitely requires reservations. We had a couples massage on the patio overlooking the bay. It was well worth every penny.

The dinning is varied and in most cases was quite good. The portions are very American and having just arrived from Paris this was a bit of a shock. In the evening the Manta Rays come and play in the light of the hotel, so you don't have to pay to see them, just go to the bar at night.

1 person likes this.
  2. jason8612
    Original Member

jason8612 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed there. The property is a bit worn, but still good. They had some decent dinner night promos, and also the pools are nice. It's a shame though there is no beach there.
    There was free internet, free business center and a few other things included in the "resort fee"

Skyvillager likes this.
  3. intueri
    Original Member

intueri Silver Member

Status Points:
    I agree that the place felt a bit dated, but was still nice overall. Resort fee also included free self-parking and two drink certs. The manta ray viewing area was very cool.

4. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have stayed at this property several times in the past year. So, my perspective is from several different rooms / floors / views and my remarks evaluate the property on an overall basis.

I agree that the property is a bit dated, but I believe that within the confines of the reduced rate environment they have had in the last few years, they have done a fair job of keeping it up to date. The rooms recently received new carpet and were generally freshened. My latest room had a 37" LG flat screen TV. I always have to call for extra bath towels as they only stock each room with two. The industrial tankless wall mount toilet is a little odd. The furniture is old and starting to not function very well (drawers sticking etc.).

The staff is generally very happy and exhibit the Aloha spirit. However, there is poor communication from management to staff regarding some issues. Prior to arrival, I was assured that the resort fee would be waived for me since I was a Plat and already had free WIFI as a benefit. The front desk staff knew nothing about that and I had to go to management a second time for clarification on this issue. (More on WIFI later). I also find the staff is poorly cross trained / unaware of issues outside their particular bailiwick. Ex.: We asked a bellman if the business center was open 24/7. He had no idea and referred us to the front desk.

If you are going to HI on business and need WIFI, do not stay here. First, their routers are all ancient "B" routers (11mbps). Second, the band-with pops in and out like a spy-hopping whale. Again, I have stayed in several different rooms in this property and have had the same experience in all of them. As I type this review, they are installing their Sheraton Link media / computer center, Hopefully this will have some impact as to the quality of the internet service in the rooms, but somehow, I doubt it.

The pool as described above is very nice and very large for this resort. On the weekends this area is overrun by locals and their children. I think the hotel gives good Kamaaina rates on the weekend.

The fitness center is extremely well equipped, and very clean. A+ in this area.

The food is typical Hawaiian overpriced hotel fare. Nothing unusual here. Much better options in town.

I like this place, but with just a little effort it could really become a top notch Sheraton resort. I really would like to see that as options on this side of the island are rather limited.

Kaanapali likes this.
  5. DebraI
    Original Member

DebraI Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here as well. Love the open air lobby and the rocky coast. Staff were very gracious and helpful. In addition to being a bit dated, the one thing that really bugged me was the texture used on all the walkways and balconies. It may been a good idea when the hotel was built, but with the popularity of rolling suitcases it made for a lot of early morning wakeups. Also really loud with the maid carts. When I go to such a gorgeous location, I want peace and quiet, and unfortunately it was anything but. May consider going back, but probably wouldnt' be my first choice.

6. SensFan
    Original Member

SensFan Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here is what is included with the resort charge (from the little card they give at check-in).

$15.00 + tax, per room, per day charge will include the following:
    - High speed internet access in guest room
    - High speed wireless internet access on the ocean view deck (lobby level)
    - Self-parking for one vehicle
    - Unlimited local and 1-800 calls
    - Up to 30 minutes of long distance calls per day (inter-island, continental U.S. domestic calls)
    - Children 12 & under eat free from children's menu in designated dining outlets with paying adult
    - Use of Kona trolley
    - Two manta punch drinks per stay

Platinum extra for having to pay the resort fee (not on card)
    - Valet parking

avflyer likes this.
  7. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Actually Plats have two options. The first (as you mention above) is free valet parking. The second is you can completely waive the resort fee. Please see this post. http://milepoint.com/forums/threads/spg-resort-fee-or-platinum-free-internet.2393/#post-50650. If the front desk staff are not aware of the waiver option, ask to talk to Leona.

8. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    After over a year of foreclosure efforts, a buyer for this property was announced earlier this month. Renovations are expected, and it is expected to remain a Sheraton.

From the StarAdvertiser.com:

An investment firm affiliated with a New York hedge fund paid $26.2 million for the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort and Spa, which is on land leased from Kamehameha Schools, according to public records and broker Jones Lang LaSalle Hotels.​

The deal is expected to lead to a significant renovation of the hotel on 22 acres just south of Kailua-Kona, and retention of its roughly 200 employees under a Sheraton franchise.​

Keith Vieira, senior vice president of operations in Hawaii for Starwood Hotels and Resorts, which owns the Sheraton brand, said Starwood and the hotel's new owner are negotiating an operating agreement anticipated to produce a seamless transition. "We are working on an agreement with them right now," he said.​

avflyer and Kaanapali like this.
  9. Kaanapali
    Original Member

Kaanapali Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks SC! It would be good if Starwood could once again have a viable option on the Big Island ...everytime I show my wife or family this property....they say its a shame considering its locale and what could be done with it...

avflyer likes this.
  10. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks SC. I completely agree with Kaanapali. We need a good SPG option on this island.

SC Flier likes this.
  11. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    Via Twitter:
    @KeauhouSheraton What's the plan with the new owners? Will the resort remain a Sheraton?​
    @scflier Yes - absolutely. Plans for updates/refresh in the works and we'll share soon.

12. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    Just stayed here last week. Agree with the "tired but still nice" assessment.

While there isn't a beach per say I did enjoy walking along the coast and finding a nice spot under a tree to read a book and watch the ocean.

Maybe I just had a bad room but I found it annoying that there isn't a directory of services/food/shops etc. When I checked in I was given a map of the facility that had no information marked on it. I figured something would be in the room. Nope. I had to turn on the TV to the hotel's channel to see what restaurants were available. The only other hotel I've stayed at that didn't have this sitting on the desk somewhere was in Hong Kong, and I paid $33/night for that room.

13. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would be surprised if brand standards did not require that they provide such a directory.

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I searched high and low, nothing. :(

15. Jubileesmom
    Original Member

Jubileesmom Gold Member

Status Points:
    I usually stay here during my visits to the Big Island. Hmm, will be intersting to see after the renovations too. But, all in all, I've always liked it there. Ya, no beach, but I also have a little "walk" I take up and over to a few places where I can escape too. Was almost ready to go back once more this year in Nov., but plans led back to a few of the other islands. Maybe next year sometime;)

16. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Staying here right now. Interesting addition. They have a HAMPER (yes, I said HAMPER) at the front desk for used towels. Yesterday, it was actually overflowing. Is this really the first impression they want to leave? Filthy pool towels at the front desk overflowing onto the floor?

WI FI still bad.

They must have given away Kamaaina rooms as this joint was overrun with locals and their families over the Fourth. Not that on the face of it that this was a bad thing, but the trash, the noise the beer cans. I don't understand why this type of behaviour is allowed.

They call this a resort? Please new owners...do something. My wife will not allow me to make another reservation here unless substantial improvements are made.

17. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Got Mrs. Flyer to stay here one more time. The locals again took over on the weekend but not as bad as the Fourth Of July. They still had the hamper by the front desk, but otherwise the lobby seemed to be cleaner and more open.

No changes to the rooms. No suite offered at check-in, we were upgraded to an ocean front room. The rooms seemed cleaner. The televisions are upgraded to 32" flat screens, but the holes used to mount the old CRT to the credenza are still visible. Two bath towels per night are provided. Four bottles of water are on the table at check in along with some chips and two sodas. The water is not refreshed by room service, but you are given a certificate for a free bottle of water from somewhere (weird).

The WIFI still SUCKS!!! I actually bought the Verizon Wi-Fi hotspot service for my Android phone and it worked very well.

Overall, getting better, but very slooowwwwly.

18. Junca
    Original Member

Junca Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just made a cash and points reservation here for my folks; 4 nights in May.

I have been offered an upgrade to Ocean View room for $50/night. Opinions on whether it's worth it? Mom/Dad don't care about anything too fancy, but I'd do it for them if the room had a much better view or layout.

19. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am surprised about all the "dated" comments. My parents stayed at the property maybe 8 years ago. We were staying at a condo nearby and visited the hotel a few times for dinner and to see the manta rays at night. Definitely felt dated back then.

20. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    The new owners have promised re-furbs. We will see.......

21. SC Flier
    Original Member

SC Flier Gold Member

Status Points:
    As a conclusion to an 8-month, $16 million renewal...
    http://gohawaii.about.com/b/2012/08/13/sheraton-keauhou.htm
    On September 1, 2012, the Sheraton Keauhou Bay Resort & Spa will be renamed the Sheraton Kona Resort & Spa at Keauhou Bay. The new name more accurately reflects the resort's location on Hawaii Island's Kona Coast and within the Keauhou Resort area.
    To reintroduce the resort to visitors, they are offering a renewal special of just $129 (Mountain View) room per night for bookings made now through September 30, 2012 for stays through March 31, 2013. This savings of at least 25% per stay means that families, honeymooners, friends and adventurers can enjoy all that Hawaii, the Big Island has to offer.

22. dingalpha

dingalpha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Booked a stay Dec 27-Dec 30 here with C+P. Does it matter to be without beach on this island?

23. avflyer
    Original Member

avflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Most of the beaches are north of the Airport, so if you want to stay in the Kona area, this is a good choice because you will be traveling to get to the beach anyway.

dingalpha likes this.
  24. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Depends on what you like to do. I like snorkeling, exploring the active volcano (Kilauea), driving up the other volcanoes, and going to the beach a few times (during a typical one week stay). So beach is just one of the many things I want to do. I have often stayed in condos in the Keauhou area and always liked it. My parents stayed at the Sheraton maybe ten years ago (don't even recall what it was called then).

dingalpha likes this.
  25. dingalpha

dingalpha Silver Member

Status Points:
    Still choosing b/w this one and Hilton Village. Thanks for your suggestions