Sheraton Iguazu

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by marcwint55, Mar 2, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    We spent three nights at the Sheraton in Iguazu last month and I was not impresssed. The first night we were upgraded to a suite as a platinum upgrade and the last two nights were in a forest view room that was not spacious, not as clean as it should be and had black mold in the bathroom.

The night manager told me we would be compensated with 8000 SPG points, (which I am still waiting for) and was a very pleasant person, but giving someone a room in that condition (especially a platinum member) is quite inexcusable.

The location was excellent for entry to the Argentinian side of the falls and that was probably the only redeeming factor for the hotel.

The hotel is quite dated and really needs some sprucing up. The food was okay, nothing great. The pool area is acceptable, but again nothing fantastic. Considering what a prime location they have, they should really invest a few dollars and bring the hotel up to par.

The hotel in the park on the Brazilian side (not an SPG hotel) is much nicer and I would stay there if I ever go back.

jbcarioca, Kalboz and sendaiben like this.
  2. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you take photos of the blemishes?
    [​IMG]

jbcarioca, marcwint55 and uggboy like this.
  3. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    This place has basically been like this for years. Same complaints/problems when I stayed there in 2006 and same complaints from a friend who stayed there two years ago.
    They essentially have a captive audience so no need for them worry.too much.:rolleyes:

4. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I was there 2 weeks ago, and found my room to be acceptable and clean. I thought the food was very, very average, and for the size of the morning buffet, most of the offerings were inedible. However, the location cannot be beat. The massage that I had there was good and acceptably priced. In fact, although I have no status with Starwood, I received a 30 percent discount on spa services, as well as free internet. I do hold the SPG card though.

jbcarioca and marcwint55 like this.
  5. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't, but I did bring the night manager into the room to point out all of the issues. Unfortunately I suck at taking pictures.

jbcarioca likes this.
  6. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I completely agree with you regarding the food and the location. The one great thing while we were there was standing about two feet from a Toucan while it ate for about ten minutes and having Capucin monkeys go from the trees around the pool to the hotel balconies and eventually up to the roof. It was quite enjoyable watching them jump from balcony to balcony.

suenam and jbcarioca like this.
  7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Hotel das Cataratas on the Brazilian side is a very nice hotel, run by Orient Express. So, no points, but s truly spectacular location, physical facilities and total experience. Having tried both this is my choice every time. OK, I admit it, I might be biased!:D

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  8. suenam

suenam Silver Member

Status Points:
    I did get a few shots of them. I tried for some closer views, but they were too fast for me.

Attached Files:

Kalboz and marcwint55 like this.
  9. marcwint55

marcwint55 Gold Member

Status Points:
    great picture

edekba and jbcarioca like this.
  10. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    Fair enough but the access to the falls themselves and the ability to get real close to the power of the torrents, the boat rides etc is much better from the Argentinian side.

Kalboz and jbcarioca like this.
  11. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is actually not quite true. From Hotel das Cataratas it is a walk of about 50 meters to be above the falls, there are steps taht allow people to walk down to be at river level just in front of the falls. YMMV, to be sure, but I know of nobody whose actually stayed in both hotels who does not think the views and access are better on the Brazilian side. On the Argentine side one can walk above the falls along the long catwalk, which is very special. Frankly, when people spend a long time and lots of money to visit the falls I think they should visit both sides.

A downside of staying anywhere on the Brazil side is prices. The Argentine side is much cheaper, especially when you buy pesos on the informal market at a ~30% discount or more. Despite a much better hotel, better access and good food and service the prices at Hotel das Cataratas will be probably twice those of the Sheraton, assuming you don't use a credit card on the Argentine side, nor buy your pesos in a bank.

There are threads here on both sides. Americans do tend to prefer the Argentine side because of the US-branded hotel and absence of visa requirement. Anybody planning on going should check out all the options and plan on a minimum of two days, preferably three, so a visit to Itaipu dam can be included (you actually enter the dam and visit the power generating equipment), as well as both Argentine and Brazilian sides, both of which are spectacular when the falls are high.

12. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was actually quite impressed with the Sheraton Iguazu :)

Before our trip I checked out reviews on Tripadvisor and here. They were pretty mixed, so our expectations were not very high.

I'm an SPG platinum member and this was a special anniversary trip for my wife and I (although I suspect most of the guests are there for similar occasions) so we were delighted to receive an upgrade to a falls-view Terrace Suite. These rooms are beautiful, and my review is going to be based on staying in this room.

The good

-Unbelievable views and location (priceless). We were here for four days and spent every day on the trails enjoying the ever-changing waterfalls
    -Great room. Our room had been renovated recently and was very comfortable and stylish
    -Good food: the buffet breakfast was pretty good and with the exception of one overcooked steak all the meals we ate at this property were good
    -Reasonable prices. This hotel could basically charge whatever it wanted for food and drinks, but we found that prices were not too different from Buenos Aires. Kudos to the hotel for not gouging guests
    -Good service. Almost all the staff we interacted with were pleasant and helpful. We had a minor problem with water leaking in our room, and it was resolved quickly
    -Decent gym. Gym had barbells, which is very rare in hotels, and was pretty well equipped

The bad

-This hotel is pricy. It probably costs at least two-three times as much as it would if it weren't bang in the middle of Iguazu National Park :)
    -Service was inconsistent. Most staff members were great, but a couple were a bit unfriendly
    -The waiters had a fairly irritating habit of explaining that service was not included in the bill every single time they brought one

Overall

The location and views are priceless, but the hotel also does a good job of providing comfortable and stylish accommodation, decent food, and friendly service. My wife and I loved our four nights here, and actually wish we'd been able to stay longer. We'll certainly be back, although we also plan to check out the Hotel Das Cataratas on the Brazilian side next time.

If you can afford it, I would definitely recommend this hotel for a visit to Iguazu.

13. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    The location and views are fantastic. I had no complaints about my suite (the suites are not large). The food was mediocre, and I agree with poor quality of items at breakfast. The pool are is fine. And yet if I were going back to the Falls, and wanted to stay on the Argentina side, I would stay here again -- for the views and location. Great to sit out and have a drink looking out at the falls, great to walk from your rooms to the first waterfall in a matter of minutes. Unquestionably jbcarioca is correct however in a nicer alternative on the Brazilian side..

14. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Two important extras: the hotel has a 10am check out time, and the cheese and wine platinum amenity is probably worth more than the 500 points :D

15. brucewil

brucewil Silver Member

Status Points:
    Even though we aren't going until late in the year, I thought I would ask while the thread is active. We will be flying into GRU arriving very early in the morning. How much time do we need to connect to IGU? We are staying at the Sheraton for two nights. The wife is not the lightest of packers, so how would you guys suggest we arrange the two days so that we aren't lugging suitcases with us?

The thought was to go directly to the hotel, drop bags and head to the park on the Argentine side for the afternoon. Wake up the next day and head back to the Argentine side to finish anything we didn't see, then head to the Brazilian side for the afternoon. I heard there is about 3-4 hours of stuff to see and do there. We were then planning to leave early the next morning and head to Rio to spend the week. Does this seem like a good plan or should we plan on more time at the park and leave later on departure day? That would mean back and forth to pick up the bags at the hotel. We aren't massive hikers BTW.

16. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi brucewil

If you will be arriving at the Brazilian airport, it could take up to an hour to cross the border into Argentina and reach the Sheraton. Both my border crossings were shorter, but we did things like have me walk across the border and meet the car on the other side (this allowed the driver to skip the line).

If you are planning to visit the Brazilian Falls in the afternoon and leave the next morning (from the Brazilian airport) it would seem to make more sense for you to stay in the Hotel Das Cataratas for the second night. You'll save loads of time and won't have to be crossing the border every twenty minutes ;)

In terms of time, on the Argentinian side there are several things you might want to do:

-Devil's Throat (10 minutes on the train from the station near the Sheraton, then a 20-minute walk along the walkway to the falls). This is unmissable but the lines for the trains can get pretty bad. Last train is quite early, so might be best to do in the morning.
    -Upper Walk (30 minutes). Almost as good as the DT above.
    -Lower Walk (30m). More jungle and some nice views of the falls from below. Lots of steps.
    -Boat ride (two versions: with jungle drive and rapids is 90m, just the boat ride is 15m). Both of them end with driving the boat into the spray from the falls. Impressive experience. If you're pressed for time, don't bother with the long version.

You could do all of these in your schedule, but it would probably feel rushed.

On the Brazilian side there is only one trail, so depending on how quickly you walk you could probably do it in about 2 hours. There are also more activities on that side: rappelling, boat rides, etc. Recommend having food or coffee at the restaurant at the top of the falls. Very peaceful.

Post any more questions, I'll be happy to answer if I can.

brucewil likes this.
  17. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    The helicopter ride on the Brazilian side only is pricy (120 USD pp) but impressive. There were long lines the day I went as they didn't fly in the morning.

jbcarioca and brucewil like this.
  18. MrLincoln

MrLincoln Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seconded, we enjoyed our stay at the das Cataratas, and the breakfast was delightful. Never have quite figured out how to make pão do queijo as well as the Brazilians.

jbcarioca, sendaiben and brucewil like this.
  19. CrankyScott
    Original Member

CrankyScott Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also concur on the Hotel das Cataratas. Awesome property and so close to the falls. Rates are high and food options are really only at the hotel. But you have full access to the falls after / before the tour buses arrive. Its well worth the cost.

Suggest hitting a grocery store first as you can stock up on things and avoid the high hotel food costs.

jbcarioca and sendaiben like this.