Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Chad, Feb 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers

Normally I stay at the W or a non-SPG hotel in Hong Kong. However a recent change in travel plans meant I had arrived a day before my planned stay at the W, so I thought I’d try a night at the Sheraton before heading to the W.

Room booked: Towers Harbour View.
    Room given: Towers Deluxe Harbour Room View.

As I had booked the Tower, which is supposedly a hotel within a hotel, that is what my review will focus on.

Arrival:

As always getting from the airport was a breeze. Took the airport express to Kowloon Station and then a cab (approx. HKG$25) to the Sheraton. Upon arrival a porter took my bags and was directed to the second floor to check in. I ignored this and found an elevator and went up to the towers reception on the 16th floor.

Due to the extremely early time of my arrival my initial plan was to complete the paperwork and leave my luggage. When I got to the towers reception it appeared that they were just opening.

I was very surprised to find that despite it being barely past 7.00 am, they had my room ready. I again re-iterated that I was quite happy to come back later in the day, but the receptionist was insistent that I should check in. In a further act of generosity I was also informed that I could also have complimentary breakfast at the oyster bar that morning as well.

I was also offered a late check out – something I certainly couldn’t take in good conscience.

Room:

I had been upgraded to a Deluxe Harbour View. The room was certainly in good condition & well maintained but overall somewhat bland. It was also fairly average size wise. Based on the difference in size – I’d imagine the standard harbor view would be bordering on being uncomfortably small.

[​IMG]

The bathroom had dual basins, a window into the room and a separate bath and shower – which I find important. Amenities were Crabtree & Evelyn and like most Asian hotels contained all the various things you could possibly need.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Of course the main feature of the room was the view – which did not disappoint.

[​IMG]

Towers level:

Tower guests can have breakfast at the oyster bar, and afternoon tea and cocktails in the lounge.

Breakfast consisted of a buffet with a collection of fruits, cereals, cold meats & pastries. Hot items could be ordered of the menu. Overall it was a very enjoyable breakfast – the service was very attentive and professional.

Afternoon tea was served in the lounge and consisted of a limited selection of cakes & pastries as well as sandwiches and other minor items – it was comparable to what some lounges offer in the evening.

Cocktail Hour consisted of a good selection of warm canapés, dips, sandwiches, nuts etc. It certainly isn’t designed to be a meal replacement but is exactly what I’d expect for pre dinner snacks with a few drinks. I only drank spirits so can’t comment on the wine selections, but a wide choice of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks were on selection. It seamed to be a hybrid of self-service and waiter service. I never made my own drink – and I was offered a fresh one every time my glass was near empty – but I did see some people making their own drinks.

All the staff in the towers lounge were extraordinary good.
    Towers level benefits:
    [​IMG]

Conclusion

I would not stay in this hotel on the standard floors as I really don’t find anything noteworthy about the rooms themselves, furthermore every time I passed through the lobby it seemed like a zoo. However I could be tempted to stay again at the towers level as the staff is truly exceptional. Plus of course the view.

For Starwood in Hong Kong I view this as the elderly Aunt – her home is functional rather than inspirational and her glory days may have been in the past – but she is going to smother you with warmth and affection and you can’t help but feel welcome.

2. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    I love the Towers level with a Harbour view here.

To add to your post, at least when I was last there Towers guests could take their breakfast as room service as well. I usually ordered something light, coffee and a croissant or whatnot, when I'd get up super early and then take breakfast elsewhere.

The hotel doesn't upgrade from the regular hotel to the Towers section, it's viewed as a separate property. But on an award you can spend a modest amount of points to get a Towers room instead of a regular room. Platinum upgrade is generally either to a non-view suite or to a harbour view. Definitely worth it for the view, which is one of the better ones around.

I like the W very much, actually I love the W, but the view here is phenomenal. Hong Kong is a city with lots of great hotels, the Sheraton itself isn't special but the views are great and the Towers lounge and service are certainly good. I'd definitely be happy retiurning.

3. Leumas
    Original Member

Leumas Silver Member

Status Points:
    I haven't been back for a while now, but the impression I get is that this hotel (not the Tower) gets a lot of tour groups from mainland China... Its location can't really be beat, especially now you can pretty much walk to the TST MTR station all underground and escape the humidity and heat.

BTW, you do know there's a free shuttle from Kowloon station to the hotel (and back), right? Sometimes the traffic can be horrid, and the taxi meter can tick over quite quickly...

4. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great hotel and the staff when I was there last were top notch.

5. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have been quite disappointed by the Sheraton HKG.
    I prefer to stay at one of the MO's, the Peninsula or the IC across the street (former Regent).

6. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I‘ve stayed at both levels of this hotel, and the non-Tower Harbour View rooms, as best I remember, are exactly the same size. I once split a stay between the two levels and was surprised to find the Towers Room no larger. The difference is in floor level. The Towers rooms are at the top of the hotel, so there is a clearer view of HK Island; on lower floors, the view might be slightly blocked by some of the museums across the street.

I’ve enjoyed my stays here, and the fabulous views from my stand Harbour View room. The breakfast buffet in the restaurant is 1st-class, and the hotel’s Chinese cuisine restaurant was very good as well.

I’ve also taken the free shuttle bus to and from the Airport Express; the wait times have varied, but I was never in such a rush that I’d take a taxi and get stuck in that traffic.

The OP doesn’t mention that the hotel is a short walk to the waterfront and to the ferries to HK Island and to the other islands in HK Harbor. There are lots of restaurants and bars to choose from very nearby.

I’ve stayed at several hotels in HK - Conrad, Grand Hyatt, Marriott, LM - and I think the price point for value is terrific at the Sheraton. If I want to splurge, I go to the Grand Hyatt and it’s amazing Club Lounge. Otherwise, the Sheraton is the place, whether Towers level or not.

7. gleff
    Original Member

gleff Co-founder

Status Points:
    All of those are indeed better hotels, but the Sheraton is still good for what it is -- nice Harbour views from their high floors, and decent service on the Towers levels.

8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    And they’re at a different price point as well from the Sheraton.

9. Chad
    Original Member

Chad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agree about the shuttle - I once took a cab from the W (above Kowloon Station) to the Peninsula early evening and ended up just getting out and walking - however at 6.30am on a Sunday morning the cab was an easier option.

Also agree that it is unfair to compare this hotel to somewhere like the MO - completely different class of hotels and priced accordingly.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've never stayed here but I have walked through the lobby and I found the place offputting. It's an old-fashioned modern building and not at all attractive. Moreover, except for the carriage entrance, it seems to require walking up or down some stairs to enter the lobby. The shopping mall is similarly depressing, again old fashioned modern without interesting shops. Tour groups seem to dominate and I saw crowds and lines everywhere, plus relatively high prices for coffee, etc. The road construction outside didn't help. Maybe the rooms are reasonably nice, but my first impression didn't make me want to investigate further, However, it's a phenomenal location so I can imagine that a hotel of this category located here is hard to beat.

11. Chriscross
    Original Member

Chriscross Silver Member

Status Points:
    Had a stay at this property during Easter last year. I upgraded with points (think it was 1500 points/nights), and it is worth it even though the rooms are pretty much the same. The breakfast at the Oyster bar is really nice compared to the zoo down at the main restaurant.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I believe the upgrade is 2500 points/night- however it is an excellent value- one of the best uses of SPG points there is.

13. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I stayed here for 3 nights in a tower suite. I decided to forego the view tower upgrade and go for the bigger room which was well worth it. The bathroom looked exactly the same as the tower deluxe room with same amenities. I have no idea why they gave me a smoking room when I didn't book a smoking nor told that was the only option. Nevertheless, I didn't bother complaining as the room was great and surprisingly didn't smell much of smoke.

The outlook from the room was of nearby buildings as to be expected. Breakfast was amazing whether it be in room dining or on the top level. As pointed out the hotel is very centrally located.

I hope to go back to this hotel sometime soon.

TRAVELSIG likes this.
  14. abk
    Original Member

abk Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Towers does not have no smoking rooms but they are very good at making sure that the rooms have no trace of smoke.

15. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    That's incredible in the current world climate. I wish they would change this.

16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am an ex-smoker and as such incredibly sensitive to smoke and despise the smell- in the Sheraton HKG Towers I have never had a problem- so however they manage it seems to be very well done.

17. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed here before, it's exactly as described. Good price for HKG, great location. Feels dated in some regards but overall really great mix of amenities. The Towers lounge offerings with an awesome view are great, especially the view.

Typically I think they upgrade Plats to Towers, right? I was trying to remember as I believe every time
    I have stayed it was Towers and I don't recall specifically booking Towers?

18. Simon
    Original Member

Simon Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I read that they never upgrade to the Towers but rather you need to book the Towers in order to get there even as a Platinum but things might have changed......

Jslo likes this.
  19. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe so...I can't recall how I always end up in Towers. Maybe they are taking points somehow. Even if you don't get Towers, as a Plat you can still enjoy the lounge/breakfast amenity correct?

20. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's been about 2 years since I was there, but the hotel never upgraded to Towers level just for being a Plat in the several times I stayed there. They'd give you a choice of Harbor view room or a city-facing suite, along with certificates for free continental breakfast. The Plat lounge was a window-less room with some mediocre snacks in the evening. Don't know if that changed. Did stay in the Towers once, having made that choice myself, and that lounge was very nice. There was no difference in the size of the harbor-view room from the non-Tower ones I'd stayed in previously.

21. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct- and no change that I know of. You can use SPG points however to upgrade non-towers>towers: this is a good value.

Jslo likes this.
  22. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ok. Good to know. So you cannot access Towers lounge unless you stay in towers even as a Plat?

23. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    That is correct. No Towers lounge unless you're staying in Towers level room.

Jslo likes this.
  24. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. No Brainer to get into Towers then! I will use points at checkin...or...should I call ahead? I think I will call or email ahead to confirm towers. Great info mile pointers! Thanks tons.

25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Definitely email or call ahead. I have always set it up by email- the Towers is often full so don't wait until checkin.

Jslo likes this.