Sheraton Heathrow

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Jan 3, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here with my family in early January 2012. At first I was planning to stay at the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow, as I had read that the Heathrow was being renovated and the price was only 20 pounds more for the Skyline, but when I went to book they had run out of the cheapest rooms and now cost over twice as much.

As we were only staying overnight to catch an early flight tomorrow I decided to get a cheap stay and go with the Heathrow :)

First impressions were not great. The car park is being used as a car hire depot, the hotel entrance is round the back and parking is extremely crowded/limited, and the entire hotel looks like a building site, with temporary facilities set up everywhere and signs out of date/erroneous.

The staff we met were great, professional and courteous, but the hotel is very shabby at the moment.

The good:

-we were upgraded to club rooms before checkin (I saw the upgrade on the SPG iPhone app the morning of our stay)
    -the car park barriers were open so we didn't have to pay for parking (normally 12 pounds a day)

The bad:

-the hotel is in pretty bad shape
    -I checked out the restaurant/bar and it didn't look very promising -we ended up going into Windsor
    -hot water/heating was set very low (although they did turn it up when we asked)
    -the car park is very cramped, full, and often blocked by cars unloading/buses/taxis

Overall, this is a cheap option close to Heathrow airport, they treat platinum members well, and there were no major problems. Having said that, if you can get the Sheraton Skyline Heathrow for a similar price, I would probably recommend staying there instead, at least until the renovations are complete.

2. mwg25
    Original Member

mwg25 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed there last night before a very early morning flight out of LHR. Ditto to everything sendaiben says - location's good and it'll work, but don't get excited.

You take a bus to get to the airport - the Hotel Hoppa (GBP 4). Buy your ticket from the front desk - much easier than getting it on the bus. It takes about half an hour to get to T4 (not sure about the others).

jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  3. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay at both the Heathrow and Skyline semi-regularly. The Sheraton Heathrow could politely be called 'tired' or less politely, 'a dump'. Either way, Platinums will pretty much always get a club room, although only a few are refurbished with the majority just being regular rooms that were re-designated as club rooms on an enlarged club area a couple of years ago.

That said, the Heathrow hotel when cheap is a good option for an overnight stay. Rooms are usually ok, but the bathrooms are on the wrong side of acceptable as they are now rather worn down and dirty.

The Skyline is a much better property, with much nicer rooms, clean bathrooms and a better lounge. However it is normally at least £20 more per night and often £40+. If you just need a place to sleep and then take a flight, then the extra money isn't necessarily worth it.

As for the buses, the Hotel Hoppa services are ok, but represent poor value, with the exception being to T4, which is not as well served on the free public buses. From the Sheraton Heathrow it is a 5 minute walk to the bus stop just past the Chinese Restaurant, with free buses every few minutes to Heathrow bus station, which takes about 7-10 minutes depending upon traffic. For T4, the Hoppa is the better option. The other alternative is that the hotel can sort a private car transfer to the airport. The cost is £10 each way.

From the Sheraton Skyline, the bus stop is across the road from the hotel with a number of free buses going to Heathrow bus station. Similar travel time of 7-10 minutes depending upon traffic. This is quicker than the Hoppa service, as this has to go to a couple more hotels prior to heading to Heathrow terminals.

4. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, no "need" to pay for the Hotel Hoppa when public buses to/from Heathrow are free, and can take less time.

The names of the bus stops closest to the Sheraton Heathrow are "Pingleton Close", or "Duke's Bridge." Usually served by the #U3 bus, and a couple of others.
    The name of the bus stop closest to the Sheraton Skyeline is "Harlington Corner." Serveral buses go by there, including the 24/7 #140.

The Heathrow is a bit closer to T-5, the Skyeline is a bit closer to T 1,2,3/Central Bus Station/Underground Station.

Agree with all previous posts on the conditions of both properties. If prices are similar, I'd just go for the Heathrow.

Of use to some is that the Heathrow's club lounge is open 24/7, (the Skyeline's is not) if one wants to work on the pc's, or grab a non-alcaholic drink or nominal snack (usually cookies, pretzels, and/or fruit).

Gazilliions of posts on flytertalk comparing the two properties, with the consensus seeming to be what's briefly posted here.

5. Jenny & Curt
    Original Member

Jenny & Curt Gold Member

Status Points:
    jbcarioca, uggboy and Skye1 like this.
  6. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    wow....at about £39, $61.. not a bad price at all for the property.

rwoman, jbcarioca and uggboy like this.
  7. Skypath

Skypath Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks Skye1! Will keep this in mind when I find myself in the area!

rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  8. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    No worries. Depending on where in London one is going, there are any number of buses from either the Skyeline or the Heathrow that go not only to heathrow, but up towards west London, or to other nearby train stations for connections toward London or westward toward Southampton, etc. Transport for London's website has a handy journey-planning tool, and you can type in the name of either hotel as your origin or destination, clicking the "place of interest" option:
    http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/user/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

rwoman and uggboy like this.
  9. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agree with the above, except that if it’s a freezing rain, the Sheraton Heathrow free bus option is more of a walk than the Skyline and therefore....

10. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    A new (and IMHO, overdue, but most welcome) look for the S. Heathrow, and a free Fizz.... Got this e-mail today.

Link to refurbishment page: http://www.sheratonheathrowhotel.com/en/refurbishment-2012

Dear Skye1,

We have just completed the final touches to a multi-million pound refurbishment of the public areas of Sheraton Heathrow Hotel.

Reconnect with us in one of our many brand new spaces. After checking-in at the new, sleek reception desks, gather your thoughts in the lobby lounge. Then enjoy our dining areas, including The Orchard Restaurant, The Discovery bar, The Orange cocktail lounge and the Link@Sheraton Café with self-service technology. Relax in comfortable spaces, designed to offer you exactly what you need, when you need it most.

To celebrate this with you, we would like to welcome you back to the hotel with a glass of complimentary Fizz* in our Discovery bar.
    Simply print out a copy of this email, and present it to an associate when you come to the bar.

Read more about our transformation and how it could benefit you.
    We look forward to welcoming you back!
    The Team at the Sheraton Heathrow Hotel
    Come and celebrate with a complimentary glass of Sparkling Wine

11. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    What about the rooms?? They need also urgently a full renovation to keep up with the modern times!

tommy777 and rwoman like this.
  12. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    Same old tired rooms. Stayed there on Thursday evening on a Beat the Timer rate. Room was like a furnace when we arrived in the evening. Air conditioning only blew out warm air on any setting, so had to resort to opening the window for an hour to let some cooler air in and get the temperature back to something approaching room temperature.

Had a problem with the bathroom, with only hot or very hot water coming out of the sink and shower. Engineer came and fixed it. By the morning, the shower would only make it to cool at best, but we didn't have time to call an engineer out as we were heading to the airport, so it was a cool shower or nothing.

The other issue here is that no matter when you seem to arrive or depart, there will be a queue at check-in. Not because people arrive by the coach load, but because they never seem to have more than 2 people on the desks. When we arrived, it was the same situation with only 2 open desks and at least 10 rooms to check-in before us. I ended up going to the conierge desk and asking for a manager, who they got from the back office. When he arrived, I asked him if we could perhaps get some extra staff on the desks as there were now over 16 groups waiting. He then got 2 more staff to open up desks. Quite why it takes a guest to request this is beyond me as decent management, or other staff on check-in duty must be able to see this?

Overall, if it wasn't for a price of £39 + tax, I'd feel a bit ripped off. However it is by far and away cheaper than most hotels in the area, even if the increased points price of 7,000 per night doesn't reflect it.

Oh and the new lobby is nicer. However that isn't necessarily saying too much as it was pretty dated and tired before.

rwoman, uggboy and Skye1 like this.
  13. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Have always had this same problem every time I've stayed there. It's become an automated routine for me--arrive in room, turn on light, open window.

That said, the refurbishments up front can only be good news, as yep, the reception area was a bit of a dump. I'll take any improvement. For the price, often in the £30's, it's hard to be, considering the club lounge does include evening apps, snacks/juices/sodas all night, hot breakfast, and the 24-7 gym (which isn't that bad at all).

rwoman, RAPC and uggboy like this.
  14. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  15. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
  16. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Overall the rooms need a renovation, the Club lounge needs an upgrade too incl. better food and drinks offerings plus an attendant which is always there!

sendaiben and rwoman like this.
  17. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    By the way, those are the 'Executive Rooms' that are not the actual upgraded rooms. There are a small number of genuine Club Rooms that are past the Club Lounge on the 3rd floor after you exit the list. These seldom ever get allocated to Platinums as they tend to allocate them to paying guests first. I certainly haven't been in one of the renovated rooms since not long after they were done.

The Exec Room you posted photos of, is just the standard 3rd floor Classic rooms that they re-designate as Exec Rooms as upgrades. They try to allocate the ones marked 'SPG Room' in front of them as the upgrade rooms, but sometimes you just get the other rooms on the 3rd floor instead. The SPG Room variants always have free bottled water in them, the other 3rd floor rooms sometimes don't, so you have to request them.

Only the refurbished Club Rooms have air conditioning that actually cools a room. The rest share the same warm air blowers system that all the other rooms have.

rwoman, sendaiben and uggboy like this.
  18. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I suppose the rooms could use a re-fresh, but then, if someone really wants "nicer", they can go to the Sheraton Skyeline down the road, yet pay a "nicer" price for it. On those occasions when prices for both are similar, I'd say go for the Skyeline, and for that reason---if it's the same price or similar, it is indeed a nicer property.
    But when often not, I'd say the Heathrow is fine for a decent place to sleep, a bit of food in the evevning/morning, and a stay/night credit or two.

uggboy and rwoman like this.
  19. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I try to avoid the LHR hotels that require use of the Hotel Hoppa (4.50GBP each way) shuttle to get to them...sometimes that can make the difference in justifying a slightly more expensive property. :)

uggboy likes this.
  20. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    IMHO, the Hotel Hoppa is a bit of a rip off. I suppose it's a decent convenience when one has loads of bags & family in tow and doesn't want to fend those with public buses, but for as many times as I've stayed at both properties, I've never seen the public buses that crowded. Fortuantely, both Sheratons are accessible by free public buses to/from Heathrow.

21. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I take the public free buses as well. The only times I think twice about them is when I’ve gone and it’s cold and rainy. It’s a longer walk to the Sheraton from the stop for that hotel, than from the one for the Skyline.

22. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    If there are two or more of you, then the hotel car service is pretty good value at £10 from the hotel to the airport. They can provide up to a mini-van for that price, so worth considering if you don't fancy the walk to the free bus stop.

uggboy likes this.
  23. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would imagine the £10 could depend on which terminal ... T1/3 and T5 are not too far from the Sheraton, but T4 is more of a distance. :)

uggboy likes this.
  24. RAPC
    Original Member

RAPC Silver Member

Status Points:
    All terminals apparently based on the costs quoted on my last stay a few weeks ago. I agree though, T4 is a bit more of a bargain. I think the pick-up costs from the terminals to the hotel are not on a fixed price basis with the same partner car company.

uggboy likes this.
  25. Skye1
    Original Member

Skye1 Silver Member

Status Points:

And when is London NOT cold & rainy? :D Indeed, Pinglestone Close to the Sheraton is a bit of a longer shlep than Harlington Corner to the Skyeline....and feels that much longer on a cold, grey, rainy, London evening.....

uggboy likes this.