Sheraton Hangzhou Wetlands Resort

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by riceoven, Jul 1, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    I just stayed at this relatively new five-star resort with my family this past weekend for 2 nights. I booked 2 rooms on points+cash (4000+$60) for a bill total of a little under $280 ($60x4 + taxes) and 16,000 points. The property was opened at the end of last year in the newly created Xixi National Wetlands Park in Hangzhou, China. It is in an area within the park that is dedicated to hotels called Westbrook Resorts (Xixi Tian Di), along with other properties such as Bayan Tree. This property is on a newly created wetland park that is about 15-20 min drive from west lake (with no traffic), where most of the Hangzhou tourist spots are. It's great for visiting the wetland park, but that can be done in about a day, so I would say it's more for locals to relax and get out of the hustle and bustle of the city, but still being very close. The property is very nice with traditional chinese architecture outside (including their own gardens and pools) and modern asian fusion style inside. There is a large gym and pool as well as tennis courts and free shuttle service to the nearby wetland park entrances and local areas. When I was there, the place was nearly desserted. The restaurant was almost empty during dinner and the club lounge had only like 2 other couples using it while I was there.

The booking of 2 point+cash rooms within one stay was a tricky process since the starwood website doesn't let you do it, even if you try to book them separately, it shows no availability when you try to book another points stay on the same dates/property. I called the platinum line and the first representative I talked to was having issues booking my 2nd room as well. I was put on hold and then disconnected (probably because of the crappy skype connection). 2nd representative I called seemed to know what he was doing and booked a 2nd room on points+cash for me. When I arrived at the property, they were able to upgrade one of my rooms to a suite and the other room was two double beds, both in the club section of the hotel. I was told both rooms were club rooms at check in, but they didn't tell me that I only had club benefits on 1 room and had to find out the hard way later. In accordance to SPG rules, I should only have platinum benefits on the room I was staying in (suite) so while they did me a favor by putting the 2nd room in the club section, I technically only hadclub privileges for the 2 guests in the suite.

The rooms themselves were beautiful and brand new. Hardwood floors, and wooden features were very "hyatt-like". The bathroom in the suite and club room were both amazing with rain showers and a very prominent bath tub in the middle of the bathrooms. The 2 doubles room had the tub almost in the middle of the room, with sliding doors that could be used to close off a corner of the room to make a "bathroom". Both rooms featured balconies with furniture to sit outside overlooking the wetland park (depending on where your room is). It was way too humid and hot outside to enjoy this during my stay. The club lounge is nice but had a poor selection of food and beverages compared to other asian hotel clubs. Since barely anyone was utilizing it, the food was almost untouched.

Overall I would recommend this hotel/resort for a place to relax if you are in the area, but not as a sightseeing hotel. However, it's not that bad if you prefer to stay in a quiet place while still being a tourist in Hangzhou. A taxi ride to west lake should be 15-30 minutes and cost under $5 USD. I took a taxi upon checkout to the Hangzhou XiaoShan International Airport for under 160 CNY or $25 USD. Hangzhou is also easily accessible from Shanghai with a 1 hour highspeed train ride.

IMG_2715.JPG IMG_2730.JPG DSC_0196.JPG DSC_0190.JPG DSC_0175.JPG DSC_0174.JPG DSC_0150.JPG DSC_0157.JPG DSC_0166.JPG

Flying Bat, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's odd, I've done exactly that when switching an award stay to c&p after availability opened up with no issue.

Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  3. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    The photos look nice.

uggboy likes this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, looks like a nice place to be/relax.

uggboy likes this.
  5. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    hmm...maybe i took the last point+cash slot with my first room? Not sure anymore.

uggboy likes this.