Sheraton Grande Taipei

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, May 5, 2015.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just finished a three-night stay on business with my wife (she tagged along and visited family) in Taipei at the Sheraton Grande. It was recommended by Sammich in another thread (thanks!) and as promised, treated us very well.

The good

-The hotel is fairly close to Songshan Airport (15m by taxi or subway), the main train station (a ten minute walk), and an MRT station (Shandao Temple, about 150m).
    -The staff were excellent, from check in through club lounge and even housekeeping, through to check out.
    -The club lounge has good evening food and drinks, and breakfast. Wasn't too crowded when we were there, and a sensible layout with several spaces so it feels even less crowded than it is.
    -We asked about a suite upgrade when we checked in, and were told that they would contact us if one became available. Assumed this was a normal brush off, but received a phone call later that day that they would move us into a suite for the third night. Very impressed.
    -Rooms were stylish and comfortable, good beds, liked the bathroom amenities.

The bad

-Lifts were slow at peak times
    -Could occasionally hear voices from other rooms, not all the time, but soundproofing not perfect

Overall

Very happy with our stay, would definitely stay here again in the future. The convenient location and transport links are probably the best thing about this hotel, with a solid hard product and excellent staff :)

2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for your review. Good to read that you had a wonderful stay, regarding the suite, how was the upgrade? One bedroom suite?
    Again, thanks for your review. :)

Sammich and Kalboz like this.
  3. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yes, one bedroom suite. It was fine, had a nice bathroom.

We also peeked into a couple of the big suites that were being cleaned. Very nice ;)

Sammich and uggboy like this.
  4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Why are so many hotels in Asia Grand or Grande? I understand Grand Hyatts as a brand, but not Sheraton Grandes or Grand Hiltons (Seoul).

Sammich and uggboy like this.
  5. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They might want to imply these hotels are large, grand and offer "lots of services incl. many restaurants" for example.

Sammich likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Understood. In fact, I suspect they're attempting to exploit the difference that grand means large in French and probably other languages, but in English/American in suggests that the thing is somehow elaborate, fancy, special, luxurious, etc. I wouldn't especially want to stay in a large hotel, but one that's elaborate can be very nice if you like that style.

WilliamQ, Sammich and uggboy like this.
  7. Sammich

Sammich Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ah you guys landed in Songshan. Brilliant! Glad you enjoyed the stay!

Probably because of the month/season you visited. When I was staying there it was very crowded, but survivable. The lifts are definitely slow during peak times. I don't remember about the soundproofing part -- it's been a while.

Like I mentioned before they seem to treat SPG elites pretty well. I remember getting a phone call from the desk shortly after entering the room on whether or not everything was satisfactory.

and hey! it's cheaper than the W and Le Meridien in town.

WilliamQ, uggboy and sendaiben like this.