Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit- Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by TRAVELSIG, Feb 9, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit opened in March 1996, and is generally considered to be one of the better 5 star hotel options in this area of Sukhumvit Road Bangkok.

One of the best features of this hotel in terms of transport accessibility is its direct covered link to the BTS on the Sukhumvit line which enables both guests on business and leisure to reach a number of areas of the city very quickly.

SPG Platinum members also like this hotel as it gives a number of benefits in addition to the SPG program requirements. Any guest can actually buy these benefits, which are titled Grande Deluxe, and include free Buffet Breakfast, Free Evening Cocktails at 3 Venues, and Free High Speed Internet. The benefits are priced at 1500 BHT +++ usually and are quite a good value considering breakfast is 740 BHT+++ per person and internet is 560 BHT +++.

My most recent stay at this hotel was in January (2 weeks ago), and was for one night for meetings. I really like the location of this hotel as the meetings I need to usually attend to in BKK are also directly on this line of the BTS, so it is very effecient and convenient.

The hotel recognizes repeat guests very well, and provides little gifts after the 10th, 15th, 20th stay etc. The gifts can include specialty upgrades, discounts for dining, free champagne- it is not a huge deal, however a very nice touch. I received a free Sunday Jazz Brunch for two on this most recent stay.

In terms of room quality- the rooms are quite nice, and are a mix between Thai style and Sheraton- don't really know another way to describe them- they have updated the televison/av to flat screen, however there have not been major rennovations in a number of years. The hotel is rumored to start rennovation in the third quarter of this year, however this is just a rumor. All rooms have a separate shower and bath, a walk in closet with large safe, and a nice desk for working. I wouldn't compare the furnishings to the Mandarin Oriental, Pen, or Four Seasons, however they are good quality and very nice.

Nice high points of this hotel are:

1. The Pool- great set up outdoor on the 5th floor with a tropical garden setting
    2. The Jazz Bar- Best in Bangkok I think with headline artists and great service
    3. Sunday Brunch- One of the top 3 in the city
    4. Service- Very fast, very thoughtful, and professional
    5. Basil- The onsite Thai restaurant is excellent for a hotel restaurant- you will see a number of locals dining here

One of the few complaints that is often heard here is that the checkin desk is crowded- apparently you can avoid this by using the hotel car on arrival (in car checkin)- however I don't do this because the hotel car is 2X the price of the AOT cars at BKK- which are just as good.

A lot of people also like to hotel hop here across the street with the Westin (the BKK mattress run for stay credits)- I have never actually done this- however the hotel seems very familiar with this and will even help with your luggage.

I rank this hotel #4 in Bangkok currently, just behind the Four Seasons, Pen, and Mandarin Oriental.

Keep in mind that with a little shopping around this hotel can be usually booked for between 4000 BHT and 7000 BHT (lowest to highest prices based on BKK demand) which makes it fabulous value for Bangkok.

One last tip (again)- do not miss the Sunday Jazz Brunch- it is truly one of the best I have seen anywhere.

sendaiben, uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Guest of the Westin and SGS can cross charge their dining charges to the hotel room. (Stay at Westin but eat at SGS Basil and charge to the room at the Westin).

(I prefer staying at the Westin which by the way has the same owner as the Sheraton Hua Hin)

yosithezet likes this.
  3. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like the Japanese restaurant in the Westin a lot- it has good sushi.

The three problems for me with the Westin are:

1) Poor Water Pressure in the Showers
    2) Pool area is not as nice as the Sheraton
    3) Problems with the Internet intermittently where you have to login multiple times

4. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stay at the Westin as I have a 100% suite upgrade quota. The staff know me there and I have stayed there many many times.

Water pressure could be better, but I can live with it.
    As I am also a member of the Starwood Privilege Thailand I can use the SGS Pool even when not staying there. :)
    I love the SGS Basil restaurant.

uggboy likes this.
  5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    How seamless is this by the way?

6. Rambuster
    Original Member

Rambuster Silver Member

Status Points:
    Never had any issues.
    The only thing is that these cross charges are not eligible for SPG points accrual.

yosithezet likes this.
  7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    So it is better to pay directly and get SPG points in this case (dining).

8. CJN

CJN

I love this hotel; been there twice. Very friendly check-in service on the 2nd floor. The man who checked us in went out of his way to make sure we were signed up for every possible SPG promotion that could earn us points on our stay. The pool area and breakfast is one of this hotel's best features- haven't experienced the jazz brunch, which sounds awesome. In May (the last time I was there) there was significant construction underway outside, near the pool, that only slightly stole from the ambiance. Does anyone know whether construction has stopped?

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    All construction completed in the pool area.

10. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed ... we had three stays in Nov-Dec for a total of 13 nights and can report that there was no construction anywhere in or around this hotel:
    [​IMG]

The front desk staff is awesome:
    [​IMG]

uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  11. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct! I did just this the past weekend. 2 FTers and some others were at brunch this past Sunday. I've never been to one of these Sunday brunches and it was amazing. One picture is worth a thousand words?

IMG00130-20110213-1307.jpg

I'll be around this coming weekend as well. We're considering brunch at the SGS or another Starwood property.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  12. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    Foie gras my favorite ... I love having it on a bed of squid ink linguinis ... very delicious!

uggboy likes this.
  13. jswong
    Original Member

jswong Gold Member

Status Points:
    I shall be there this weekend also!

Jeff

Kalboz likes this.
  14. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I won't be at the SGS, but I'll be in town.

Kalboz likes this.
  15. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also prefer the Westin. 92 stays and counting. I should start a master thread.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  16. sagefemme52
    Original Member

sagefemme52 Silver Member

Status Points:
    We had a one night stay last month (our first). This was our first visit to Bangkok. We were thrilled w/an upgrade to one of the upper level floors with butler service (nice upgrade, since I am only Gold with Starwood). The breakfast buffet is one of the biggest and most varied I have experienced anywhere in my travels. If you couldn't find something here to start your day off right, I'm not sure you'd be happy anywhere. The staff we interacted with were uniformly excellent. I also appreciated being able to store several bags while we toured around Cambodia and Thailand, even though on our return to Bangkok, we were booked into the Sheraton Royal Orchid.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  17. Schoflyer
    Original Member

Schoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm at the SGS now.
    Sitting poolside at Sala with a screaming fast wifi connection.
    I always seem to get more done here than any other office of mine.
    Sorry Yosithezet, I disagree with you on which side of Sukhumvit road to stay on[​IMG]
    -Scho

Kalboz, uggboy and TRAVELSIG like this.
  18. yosithezet
    Original Member

yosithezet Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lucky for me! Makes my suite upgrades easier to come by. :p

Kalboz, uggboy and Schoflyer like this.
  19. Schoflyer
    Original Member

Schoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes it does!!!

Kalboz, uggboy and yosithezet like this.
  20. Schoflyer
    Original Member

Schoflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    FYI created an SGS-MIlepoint Check-in Place for Facebook. Go for it!

Kalboz likes this.
  21. latrobe
    Original Member

latrobe Silver Member

Status Points:
    Well the SGS is definitely my number one hotel for BKK.I do prefer the Peninsuls rooms but seeing I can stay at less than half the rate at the SGS plus the plat benefits it wins for me.We are 100% for suite upgrades so no need to consider wandering to the other side(except to shop in Robinsons).

uggboy likes this.
  22. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also the location of the SGS is much better than PEN except for tourism.

theskyflyer and Kalboz like this.
  23. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    My favorite SPG in BKK is actually Le Meridien.

However, the Sukhumvit location is amazing for die-hard SPG fans. One can alternate between SGS, Westin, 4P (and soon aloft) within few minutes walk. And that's not to mention LM, Plaza Athenee, ROP and (soon) St Regis, by cabs. I suppose I can stay for a week in 7 different SPG hotels in BKK [​IMG]

24. Kalboz
    Original Member

Kalboz Gold Member

Status Points:
    And don't forget about the upcoming W Bangkok at Sathorn Square which will be will be the first city-center W Hotel in Southeast Asia.

[​IMG]
    Sathorn Square: from left to right: the W Bangkok, the renovated Russian Embassy, and Sathorn Center. Note Chong Nonsi BTS station in the center right of the photo. The Sathorn building is almost complete, see the above photo.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
    uggboy likes this.
  25. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Le Meridien is a very nice hotel- what a shame about the location.

Kalboz likes this.