Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa, Edinburgh (Review)

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by sendaiben, Sep 1, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I had a one-night stay with my wife here in late August 2014. It was our first visit to Scotland. We rented a car at the airport and drove to the hotel.

I'm an SPG Plat so we got an upgrade to the club floor (the hotel was pretty full so I was satisfied with this), access to the pool and fitness centre, and welcome amenity (chocolate strawberries).

The good

-the staff were great, from check-in to concierge to lounge attendants
    -the hotel is clean, modern, and stylish
    -the lounge food was excellent, both evening and breakfast
    -the pool and fitness centre are large and well-equipped
    -close to the Castle and local attractions (10 minute walk)

The bad

-our hair dryer didn't work, but it wasn't a huge deal as we used the one in the spa
    -the fitness centre doesn't have barbells or a squat rack/bench
    -the parking at 12 GBP is a bit expensive

Overall

We had a great stay. The staff were welcoming, friendly, and helpful, the hotel was very comfortable, and the facilities were impressive. Will definitely be returning to spend a few days in Edinburgh.

2. newbluesea
    Original Member

newbluesea Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am glad to see good reports about the obviously very much improved lounge.
    Last time I stayed here it was borderline awful. It was so crowded that half the guests were standing, the offerings were meager and the one attendant couldn't even keep up for the requests for coffee.

sendaiben likes this.
  3. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review, always very appreciated. Regarding your hair dryer, in-room I guess, didn't they exchange the hair dryer?
    Was the hair dryer in the spa the only possibility to try your hair? Any insights?

Usually when we've a problem with the hair dryer, they exchanged it within a few minutes with a new one, but this was a different hotel.

sendaiben likes this.
  4. Terry Yap

Terry Yap Gold Member

Status Points:
    thanks for the detailed report !

uggboy and sendaiben like this.
  5. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's wired into the desk :D

We were in a hurry and didn't really have time to deal with it -just mentioned it at check out.

uggboy likes this.
  6. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was crowded in the evening (much less so in the morning), but I felt the food was good for a lounge, and excellent for a lounge in Europe ;)