Sheraton Four Points Pudong, Shanghai master thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by SST, Apr 15, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SST
    Original Member

SST Silver Member

Status Points:
    A couple weeks ago, I had an evening in the 4P in Pudong prior to moving to the Le Royal Meridien to repeat a stay at a property I had loved in the past on a trip to Shanghai.

Here's my thoughts on this property: you can get to it easily from Pudong airport, where the international flights arrive/depart. I took the MagLev train to Longyang Rd., to save time (about 20 min), transferred to Metro 2 to Century Ave., then took Metro 4 around to Tangqiao. Both the 4P and the Sheraton Pudong are right beside the station. Got an "upgrade" to a junior suite (really two rooms, generally very nice, but with small windows and a view of nothing) on about the 17th floor (halfway up the hotel). Decided to go back down and see if I could get something higher and on the Pudong View side, which should show the tall building skyline. Well, they moved me up 5 floors, nowhere near the top, and gave me essentially the same view, nothing toward the skyline. I decided not to go pursue this further as I had business and had already killed half an hour I shouldn't have to try to improve things. This was only a one-night stay. I was surprised because the hotel was at rock-bottom rate, and there was truly no one at all in the lobby--- occupancy should have been low, and I checked in about 4.

I don't expect much from Four Points properties, and am impressed with what I usually get in non-US locations. Here, the emphasis was on the low bar I set. The hotel is well located for a cheap stay. The amenities are basic. The rooms are nicer than it seems, especially the bathrooms which were outstanding for 4P. I can't fathom why they put in small windows, but when you build to a price point, perhaps this is what has to give. No lounge; breakfast on the 2nd floor was included, and it was good. A very decent spread to send you off on your day--full buffet, with multiple stations.

The bar was inexplicably closed when I returned at 9pm from being out for the evening. The lobby bar, despite several beer taps and my keycard's imploring me to try their great draft beer selection, in fact had no draft beer. Probably best for me on night #1 after a 14 hour flight anyway, but it's kinda strange since they promoted draft beer. No bar scene whatsoever: there were three tables of people, no one at the small bar, and literally no one in the lobby. I decided to go next door and check out the Sheraton as well--- it, too, was dead, and this on a Friday night. Fair warning for party animals: this is not the place. I like it quiet, but not dead. Being able to talk with someone might have been nice.

In the am, I was headed out to the LeRoyalMeridien for my main stay this time, so I got on metro #4 to Century Ave, switched back to #2, and headed for People's Sq. I was ensconced in the LRM in about 20 minutes. I'd stay here at the 4P again on the in or out to/from the Airport, to cut down on the average lodging bill and get an extra stay credit for bonus purposes of some sort. Otherwise, if I were headed for Shanghai for tourist purposes, I'd consider the cost versus someplace more central. You won't dislike the 4P, but if the rates are about the same, or within your budget, you'll find more to walk to at LRM, the Grand Hyatt, or the Hilton.

I have a few more comments and more comparison in a reply in the thread on the Sheraton Hongkou, in the north part of Shanghai.