Sheraton Diana Majestic, Milan

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Travel2Food, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Travel2Food
    Original Member

Travel2Food Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here for a mileage run/photo run at the end of January. Arrived via JFK with a 9:30 AM arrival and caught the Malpensa Express into Centrale Station (note: Malpensa Express now operates to two stations in Milan: Centrale is closest to the Diana). Walked from Centrale to Diana, about 10 blocks - basically walk straight out of the train station for about 5 blocks, turn left at the Westin, and follow the street around to the Diana.

I had a prepaid rate booked 24 hours before. 140 Euro for a king room, street view. The hotel was sold out the night before for the reserved room, and they asked me to wait. About 5 minutes later the front desk folks found me and indicated that they had a larger room available for immediate check-in (upgrade, no rate change). Bag was brought up to me within about 5 minutes.

Room was comfortable with "classic" furniture (though there was an odd, Ikea-looking chest in the closet). Wired and wireless internet was available. Bathroom was pretty modern - it was a step up from the rest of the room.

The online reviews talk about "street noise" from the city view rooms. While I could hear a bit of traffic, it was not annoying, and is certainly no worse than I have tonight at the Renaissance LAX. A quick nap, and out to take some pictures.

The hotel is about 6-8 blocks from the Duomo, which is the main shopping district of Milan. It's a pretty quick walk, or you can take a streetcar that stops outside the hotel - or take a short walk to the subway. A few more blocks over to the castle, which is a museum (worth a visit, but lots of rooms).

I was back at the hotel just before dinner time and asked for dining recommendation. At my request, I was directed to a restaurant that is patronized by locals as well as tourists. Not fancy, but good regional cuisine. The restaurant was about a block from the hotel. Excellent recommendation, and perfect for what I needed.

Front desk was again helpful with departure arrangements. I needed to be out by about 7 AM to ensure that I made my return flight. It was recommended that I call down 30-45 minutes ahead for a cab on Sunday AM as a number of city streets close on Sunday. So I called just before jumping in the shower. As it turned out, there was no need for such an early call this Sunday AM, but better to be prepared than not - cab was quickly available, and I was back at the Malpensa Express within about 15 minutes (I returned out of Cadorna Station as the MXP Express had a better schedule).

I didn't eat at the hotel nor use the bar. I did wander through the bar and restaurant area & they looked to be places that I might enjoy. From the crowds arriving Saturday night for the lounge, it is apparently a "hot" spot in Milan.

My ratings:
    Service: 9
    Room condition & decor: 9
    Cleanliness: 9
    Food/Bar: N/R

I'd easily stay there again. Convenient, but not in the middle of the crowded shopping area. Excellent service, comfortable rooms.

carsonheim and Hmac like this.
  2. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    The bar/lounge is certainly a hotspot- more during the week than on the weekend (Milanese tend to get out of Milan on the weekend if at all possible- to the beach in the summer, to the mountains in the winter)- they have a great happy hour, and usually good music as well as a number of locals who work nearby. The area by the hotel is full of bank, lawyer, accountant offices, fashion companies etc- so the crowd is usually quite interesting in a good way.

3. Hmac
    Original Member

Hmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the informative review Travel2Food. I have a week in Milan in March and have been debating which SPG property to stay in Milan and have been leaning towards the Diana Majestic in terms of location and convenience. The train directions and info is very informative.

4. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Given the timing of your trip, you might want to have a look quickly at this for a cheap rate; the Diana is listed there right now:
    http://www.beatthetimer.com/

5. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Good call- the Diana Majestic has an excellent location.

6. Hmac
    Original Member

Hmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the reminder. I just recently found out about this option. I think I'll probably go cash and points as expenses are a bit tight. Then again, $200 USD is a great deal.

7. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome. Hope you'll post a review when you get back.

8. Hmac
    Original Member

Hmac Silver Member

Status Points:
    Rats, just checked their site and it seems they only have "Twins that join into a King." I'm unsure if there is space in the rooms to account for two beds to be spread out as I'm traveling with a friend and we need two separate beds. I guess the Westin Milan will be the choice this time around. Thanks again for the review. I'll write up a Westin review when I get back in a couple of weeks.

9. LONDJC
    Original Member

LONDJC Silver Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to be in Milan for a night on the tail-end of a business trip later this month. It's been a while since I was last at this hotel and it's good to hear that standards appear to remain good. I was checking out rates and the hotel came in pretty competitively (it's a Sunday night) although, when I looked at the Ts & Cs of the particular rate, I noted that it said "No plat benefits". This is not something I've seen previously. I'm presuming it means that the hotel will not offer Platinum benefits on that rate and guess that means, in particular, that they don't plan on upgrading you but I wonder if anybody has encountered a similar condition? Does it, for instance, mean that they aren't giving Platinums complimentary internet access? I've always had very patchy recognition of Platinum benefits in Starwood Hotels in Italy (when the Danieli in Venice was completely empty last year they argued that they had upgraded me by giving me a room away from the elevators...) but wonder if this indicates a new trend emerging.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you find this rate on Starwood website? Remember that SPG benefits aren't valid on many third-party bookings, such as through discount travel websites. If it says "no plat benefits" I would assume this means no points, no internet, etc. and no upgrade unless the hotel is overbooked in the room category you have reserved, like an OPUP on a flight.

11. LONDJC
    Original Member

LONDJC Silver Member

Status Points:
    No, this was an SPG.com rate. I'm in no rush so I'm just going to keep an eye on rates over the next few days. I was more intrigued because I just hadn't seen a reference to that kind of rate restriction before.

12. SPG Champion
    Original Member

SPG Champion Official Representative

Status Points:
    If this is a non-group paid rate and is bookable at spg.com, then you should get stay/night credit towards elite membership renewal and any promotions you might be enrolled in. You should also get full in-hotel benefits as well. If you don't, let me know.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
    Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
    Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

guest.forum@starwoodhotels.com

13. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recently completed another stay at the Diana Majestic. Report as follows:

Checkin

As there was a train strike on, I drove to Milano (don't like to do that very often due to the traffic)- on arrival the valet was full (there are only two spots) however after a quick drive around the block the space was open and I was able to park and quickly greeted by an employee who also helped with luggage.

Checkin was quite quick (no lineup), nice greeting, and a great upgrade considering especially I am Gold! I have stayed at this hotel a few times recently and the staff recognized this/welcomed back. By the way I decided to use SPG points for this stay as the lowest rate I could find was 290++ EUR which is a bit much (although unfortunately quite standard for Milano). Parking by the way is 30 EUR per day- which, while expensive, is very reasonable for Milano where many hotels charge 50.

Room

Room was overlooking the cute garden- not many hotels in Milan have a nice garden feature with the exception of the Four Seasons and a couple of others so this is a definite major plus. The noise level street side is not too bad although light sleepers will notice the tram as it passes early in the morning I suspect (it passes in front of the hotel). The room was one of the nicest I have had at this hotel barring suites- it was a junior suite with a bathroom larger than most hotel rooms in Milano and a good sized walk in closet. Room was well maintained.

Internet
    I did not use Internet services of the hotel as I have a 3G/HSDPA wireless system that works fine and is very fast in Milano with TIM (Telecom Italia Mobile).

Conceirge
    Was more than happy to lend us a large umbrella and asked how he could help us with directions (we didn't need but it was a nice touch and he was friendly).

Is excellent- the hotel is located next to C. Buenos Aires which is a main artery of Milan. In addition Pta. Venezia is located in front of the hotel which is on a tram line and in addition is on the Metro red line. You can use public transportation to get almost anywhere from this hotel. There is also a taxi stand out front in the piazza (note it is always better to go to a taxi stand than call a taxi in Milano as if you call a taxi the meter starts from where the taxi is located when you call it- which can be quite expensive- I have seen meters with 14-15 eur on them when a passenger gets in the taxi). If you choose to drive to Milano (not usually a good idea)- note that the hotel is directly outside the Congestion charge area (similar to the london system- 5 EUR a day at the moment)- so you can avoid registering/paying for the congestion charge unless you make a mistake and overshoot the hotel. Walking to Duomo/San Babila is also easy if the weather is nice- less than 15 minutes.

By the Way
    One of the reasons we visited in addition to some work meetings I had was to visit http://www.electrolux.co.uk/Cube/Milan/ which is "The Cube" project sponsored by electrolux and featuring Michelin starred Italian chefs. It was a completely fantastic event and unforgettable- do go (and be sure to book far in advance at the web page above) if you are in Milano prior to the end of April.