Sheraton Crystal City (near DC) - Master thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by canucklehead, Nov 20, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Everytime I am in this hotel (not my choice), its packed as it has a lot of meetings and military staff and contractors staying here.

Location: The Sher Crystal City is conveniently located one stop on the Metro from DCA National (Ronald Reagan) Airport. As you exit out of the Metro Stop, head straight (if you turn right you will end up at the Marriott Gateway) and you will be on 18th St. Turn right and head under the bridge. The Sher Crystal City is across the street, but instead of going to the front entrance, cut through the side entrance which leads to the lobby which contains the Eads St Bistro and Lounge.

Check-in: There are 3 or 4 stations and check-in is usually quick and friendly enough. In the summertime, they usually offer small bottles of water, a nice touch.

Rooms: Average Sheraton with average furnishings. Note: there are no suites in this hotel (though there is a picture of the Presidential Suite parlor on their website). I usually get a room on the Club floor. A nice touch is a phone call from the Assistant Manager welcoming me to the hotel.

Link Station: There are 4 computers in the lobby area which allow internet use if you need it -- guests get 45 minutes of time and require a login with your room # and surname. When I was there, the printer was down, but the front desk said that they would print out anything you needed if you could email it to them.

Club Lounge: The lounge serves breakfast (fruit, ham, cheese, hot food), as well as appetizers (cake, mini-egg rolls and pseudo-Mexican wraps) in the afternoon. The non-alcoholic beverages are free, but not the alcoholic drinks. There are also 2 computer terminals and a big printer/copier.... attached to it.

Airport Shuttle: The shuttle runs every 20-30 minutes, but DCA is only a mile away, so taxi is only about $6-7 if you are in a rush.

Would I willingly stay here? Probably not. Its a cookie cutter Sheraton and I have only used it as a base when meetings are held in this hotel. While the staff are friendly, the rates I have had make DC much more attractive, especially if I can get an upgrade, which is not possible here.

2. jean9nine
    Original Member

jean9nine Silver Member

Status Points:
    Two other pluses for this hotel are that they give breakfast vouchers to Plats on the weekend when the lounge is closed, and it's just a few blocks away from the very good 24 hour Kabob Palace.

flyingdawg, uggboy and canucklehead like this.
  3. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't going to post this, but the temptation is too great.

Last week I had a room here; I climbed into bed around
    midnight and was wakened by a funny smell at 3 - some
    genius had made the bed up with sheets that hadn't been
    properly laundered (or, I believe, laundered at all). I showered
    at long length and checked out immediately. On complaint I
    got essentially a bedbug letter from the manager, who signed
    his/her name as Crystal Jones or something.

flyingdawg likes this.
  4. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow, not good at all! Hopefully they will let you post it on the SPG reviews site and the management follows up. If anything, I found my linen had a chemical smell akin to too much bleach!

flyingdawg likes this.
  5. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was tempted but refrained from doing so, having gotten 5000 points for being
    a relatively good sport (or offered a free subsequent night at the place, which I
    was not particularly interested in, though I'd have accepted a rebate of my
    charges for the night in question). The tipoff, by the way, was a strong odor
    of Ben-Gay or Absorbine down toward the foot of the bed.

flyingdawg likes this.
  6. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Could it have been absorbed into the mattress, or was the bedbug reference to pesticide use? :eek:

5K is a fair resolution for the matter.

flyingdawg likes this.
  7. flyingdawg
    Original Member

flyingdawg Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is currently closed for renovations and will reopen as a Westin in the fall.

canucklehead likes this.