Sheraton Centre Toronto - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by From NYC, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at this hotel many, many times over the last 15 years and, despite it's size, have always enjoyed it. My go-to place in Toronto, and I've stayed at the King Eddie, the Westin Harbour Castle, the Park Hyatt (co-2nd choice with King Eddie), the Four Seasons, the HIlton. Some of this is based on price, but mostly because I like the location with lots of attractions and and restaurants and venues nearby, its easy access to public transport options around town, the friendliness of the staff, the Club Lounge, the views from the top floors, and a simply terrific pool and gym. The downside here is that I've almost never been given a suite of any kind here, though I know they have junior suites, as well as some big ones. However, I haven't really minded because the junior suites I have been given all faced into the the financial district with all the other tall buildings, whereas the regular rooms I normally get look north out past the new City Hall and park and I have a vast vista in front of me, which, coming from NYC, I prefer.

The hotel's 2 block from the Eaton Centre, is part of the PATH underground walkway system downtown that covers about 16 miles and is a lifesaver is cold weather.

The airport bus drops you right at the hotel, and picks you up from there. Big lobby, with check-in to the left. There is a separate dedicated SPG check-in area. Once you have your room key, you have to check which bank of elevators will go to your floor.

The hotel's been renovated during the last few years, including the Club Lounge, which is on the top floor. Access to it comes from your room key into the door to the lounge. It is very large with a very high ceiling and enormous windows. Looks south and north, so you have good views to the lake or north across the city. I've found breakfast and evening snacks really good.

The rooms themselves are typical for a renovated Sheraton, so won't comment further on that. Just beware getting a room that has a common wall with the elevators; given the height of the building, a lot of noise gets through.

I've enjoyed meals and drinks at Traders on the ground floor. Not fancy, but a good selection of beers, drinks and the food is just fine.

Also keep in mind that this is a conference hotel with lots of meeting space. It can get crowded. The Lounge has it's very busy moments during mealtimes. Still, it remains my go-to place in Toronto.

2. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am staying there next week and looking forward to it, in particular the lounge! Got a sweet $100/night deal!

A couple more notes on transportation.

The Airport Express is run by Pacific Western and while tickets can be purchased from a booth at the airport, they can also be bought on their website for 10% off. I was pleasantly surprised that their wifi worked.

The Airport Express, is usually a few minutes faster than the TTC, but that is also an easy option, by taking the 192 Airport Rocket bus which takes you to the Kipling Station, take the train to St. George and transfer to downtown (Union Station) to the Osgoode stop. From there, you are a block away from the hotel. Total travel time is about 60 minutes.

3. toronto needs a W

RCyyz, AC_MM and mtacchi like this.
  4. Flews
    Original Member

Flews Silver Member

Status Points:
    Great lounge, nice pool, excellent location. On the downside I find this property to be too crowded, and I've had so many "service" issues I no longer stay here unless the King Eddy is not available or over-priced because of demand.

It is what it is, a mid-level Sheraton in a City with many other more attractive alternatives for my needs & tastes.

Cheers,

5. illico
    Original Member

illico Silver Member

Status Points:
    I also have stayed at the Sheraton a few times and I find it to be very good though better value and quality of room can be had nearby (The Cambridge Suites for example). I've also found it to be somewhat crowded especially if you need to use the Link lounge in the lobby. But that said, the location is primo and just a 10 minute walk to the Porter Airlines shuttle bus if you are are flying out of YTZ.

6. AC_MM
    Original Member

AC_MM Silver Member

Status Points:
    Totally 100% agree!

7. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
    Had a stay here this past weekend and it reminded me of the 2 things I do not like about this Sheraton (an otherwise fine hotel).
    1) the ventilation in the bathroom is like sitting beside a hairdryer! I had a stay a year ago where I had to get a person to come check the noise level. As both of us were screaming to communicate, he agreed it was very load. at that time, he muffled the noise with a piece of cloth until he could get a better screen. On my past visit, the noise was minimized enough when I closed the door, so it was not so bad.

2) If you are not a GOld or Platinum, be prepared for a wait. I felt very guilty using this line, as the regular check-in line was about 20 deep both times I used it. A nice counter touch to the long queue was a staff member coming around with mini-bottles of water.

I got a Club room, was too tired and could noto be bothered to ask about suite availability.

8. From NYC
    Original Member

From NYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed that wait times to check-in & -out at the non-elite area can be extremely long sometimes.

9. RCyyz
    Original Member

RCyyz Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had my first glimpse of the Club Lounge today and I was impressed. It's up in the penthouse and the views are really quite nice. You get to look out both sides of the floor (north towards City Hall where the skating rink is and south towards Lake Ontario). We were there around 18h00 and the snacks looked quite nice. The espresso machine was self-serve but it seemed everything else was on demand from the bar.

I live just down the street so I don't think I'll ever stay here, but the Club Lounge would make a nice perk if I ever do a mattress run here!

10. I have not been in a King Eddie room in years but the lobby ect are beginning to look tired... We had a SE meeting there with Calin last year and I was surprised how its getting run down.