Sheraton Bloomington, Minneapolis South (Minnesota) - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This older modern Sheraton property is located in suburban Minneapolis, about twelve miles from downtown and a bit less than ten miles from MSP airport, perhaps eight miles from the Mall of America. The location is a bit tricky to find, even after you see the Sheraton sign on the building from the expressway, It offers free outdoor self parking. I have seen valet parkers but I don't know whether this option is always available. In addition, there is free shuttle service to/from MSP, MOA, and locations within five miles of the hotel. There is nothing much within walking distance of the hotel. The closest light rail station is probably at the Mall of America.

This is a large suburban convention hotel that frequently caters to fairly large groups. However, SPG does not consider it to be an official convention center, while means that elites are entitled to guaranteed 4 pm check out privileges here.

The building consists of two towers containing rooms, although Club rooms are located in the lower building, about eight floors versus about twenty. The lounge has never been open (completely locked, as opposed to unstaffed and unserviced but permitting club guests 24/7 access) when I've been at this hotel. There is a large and IMO soulless entry and lobby. The main floor also contains an older small indoor pool in the atrium, which amplifies the noise. Rooms are reasonable and in good condition but lack the freshness of some other Sheratons; the colors and dark furniture make the rooms seem dark, despite unobstructed views from higher floors.

Plats tend to get upgrades to the Club floors but there are few (select standard) suites. The rooms I've seen have had sitting areas, but were not L-shaped or set up to make the sitting area separate or distinct from the room. These may have been categorized as deluxe rooms. When the lounge is closed, no alternative amenity is offered.

Overall, this is not one of my favorite properties due to its location and physical structure. However, the staff seem competent and courteous.

NOTE: I have seen rumors that this property will be reflagged and leave Starwood but it is still bookable (category 3) during random dates throughout the next several months. I could find no announcement of its potential departure from SPG.

SC Flier likes this.
  2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This property is leaving Starwood on July 12, 2011. In the meantime, they've apparently been closing the lounge on weekends and at certain other times.