Sheraton Austin Hotel - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by siricepick, Feb 5, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. siricepick

siricepick Active Member

Status Points:
    I have read other Platinum members reviews on Trip Advisor that have stayed here multiple times, and while I agree, I also somewhat disagree. I have not noticed mold or musty air because it's winter, but I do think that service could be a whole lot better. With the W Austin hotel opening next year, they need to think about how to keep SPG business at Sheraton and not let premium business travelers like me from defecting.
    My experience at this hotel this time had many highs and some dis-appointing lows.
    Starting with lows:
    Whenever I arrive at the hotel, a front desk person named Parichart is always ready to greet me and always finds the best room to upgrade me to. This time, I checked in with a new employee who told me that he had no corner or suite upgrades available. I was rather irritated by this. The next morning, the manager on duty did make it right and told me what to do to open up an upgrade the next time I come.
    I rode in a problem elevator when I got to the hotel. I reported the issue to the guest request line. 20 or so minutes later, I had to go downstairs, and was unlucky to get the same elevator again and got stuck in it again.. Apparently nothing was done to fix it or take it out of service until I went directly to the front desk and reported it again.

Highs:
    I was sad that the hotel restaurant had taken Chicken Fried Steak off the menu. I was very fond of their version of it. After tweeting about in on Twitter, A Sheraton Austin rep sent me a message about making it personally for me. I went to the restaurant after that... and presto! They made it for me! It was quite delicious!
    As for my room... I can't complain. Other than a broken heater pump that was fixed, the room was clean and tidy. No hairs left in the bathroom floor by the previous occupant that housekeeping did not pick up.
    In conclusion, I hope they remodel an extra few rooms to increase the amount of suites they have to keep elite members from going to the W. While I'm not ready to give up on this hotel yet, I will be more careful to scrutinize their service commitment the next time I return. sheraton austin1.jpg sheraton2.jpg

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I stayed here as a Plat, I was upgraded to a (deluxe?) larger king room with a nice view on the club floor. It was a small room but otherwise was OK. I understand that this building started its life as a different chain hotel, which supposedly explains the small rooms and baths. My room was decorated in standard Sheraton colors and did not look anything like the suite pictured in the OP.

The lounge was fine, although breakfast ended early, at which time even the coffee was removed. Over the weekend, I could access the lounge, but it contained nothing but a bowl of rotting bananas with fleas; not even bottled water was available.

The most pleasant aspect IMO is the artwork and the somewhat spacious open lobby areas. The breakfast buffet in the downstairs restaurant was good. The pool area was fine but nothing special. The linked@Sheraton area seemed large enough for the hotel, but surprisingly was located downstairs, near the entrance to the restaurant, rather than upstairs in the lobby, near the lobby bar.

My check in was frustrating in that although there was a signed SPG counter, I waited a long time while the clerk helped guests in the regular line. No apology was given, although the hotel should have known that many guests would be arriving that evening.