Sheraton Anchorage Hotel & Spa

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by KLA, Sep 27, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Stayed at this hotel for one night in May on C&P. Upgraded to club room for 1,000 points. I love that they have a 6PM day of cancellation policy on award stays.

I had a room on the same floor as the club, facing the downtown and harbor in the distance.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What stood out the most was the bathroom which seemed a little ornate compared to the rest of the room.
    [​IMG]

I checked in around 5 and headed to the lounge as soon as hors d'oeuvres started (I think around 6PM). I was excited about the view from the lounge which faces north, but had read reviews complaining the food was gone after an hour and never replaced and no alcohol was offered.

[​IMG]

When I arrived shortly after it started, there were only about 5 slices of cheese left on a plate that had clearly held 50+. There were three serving dishes of appetizers as well, including mini-spring rolls, that were almost gone. And just leaving the lounge were the culprits, a group of 6 or so twenty-somethings who had clearly just had dinner.

However, 10 min later a lounge attendant came in to replenish the cheese & crackers and all the appetizers. And apparently kept coming in throughout the evening because when I popped back in later at 7:45, the cheese plate was nearly full even though there’d been a steady stream of traffic.

I had an early morning the next day, so turned in early without checking out any of the other hotel amenities and had to check out before breakfast in the lounge started. Really liked the hotel from what I saw though.

sendaiben, SC Flier and uggboy like this.
  2. uggboy
    Original Member

uggboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review.:)

3. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Did you see dead people?

KLA likes this.
  4. KLA
    Original Member

KLA Silver Member

Status Points:
    Finally catching up on all my hotel reviews! I stayed at the hotel again in August, arriving at 1AM and checking out the next night at 11:30 PM (I wish I had plat status to take advantage of the 24hrs rather than spending points for two nights). Because it was two nights but only one real day, I decided not to spend the extra 2,000 points to upgrade to a club room.

I had a mixed experience this time around, but the one thing that stood out and makes want to return on any subsequent visits, is the unfailing friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. Particularly Chris the guy at the front desk. When I arrived at 1:15AM, he told me they were waiting for housekeeping to finish with the rooms and I would need to wait at least 10-15 min. After thinking it through though, it made sense. Lots of people like me would be checking out late in the evening to catch midnight flights back to the continental US, and the turnover would be happening then rather than noon.
    Although I didn’t get the usual Gold Preferred Guest welcome, he did offer me snacks and a drink from their convenience store on the house while I waited. The restaurant and bar were closed by then so I took him up on it, grabbing a sprite and some cheez-its and catching up on my email in the lobby via Link @ Sheraton.
    15 minutes later I headed to the 8th floor. My previous room had looked out onto the city and harbor behind. This room was on the opposite side and looked out to the mountains (and the parking lot). It was smaller and not quite as nice as the one I’d had before (on the club floor). It also had double beds which I’d agreed to in order to get a room sooner. I also missed the extra little toiletries that come with a club room – the loofa-thing, mouthwash, sewing kit, etc.
    [​IMG]
    But it was a solid, basic room. More importantly, very clean!
    [​IMG]
    The next morning, I realized I hadn’t mentioned at check-in that I had two separate reservations for that night and the next, that I needed to combine. I called down to the front desk and they told me to just stop by on my way out and they’d make sure it all got taken care of. Since it was a two-night stay, I also realized that I’d forgotten to put out the little card Points, Miles, & Martinis highlights declining housekeeping in exchange for $5 credit or 500 points. (Always take the points!)
    The card said to display by 2AM though, at which point I’d barely been in my room, so I decided to risk it and stick it outside my door at 8AM. On the way out to my flightseeing, I stopped by the desk and they quickly handled all the paperwork to combine my two reservations.
    I didn’t get back to the hotel until 5PM and had fully intended checking out the top floor fitness center and possibly sampling the services of the ice spa, but instead got sucked into the sweet sleeper bed and didn’t wake up until 11PM when it was time to leave for my flight. Upon my return I saw a $5 voucher had been slipped under my door, so when I checked out I asked if it could be converted to the 500 points which they handled with no problem.
    If you're spending anytime at the hotel on an award stay, it's definitely worth the extra 1,000 points to upgrade to a club room.