Shenanigans with UA agent

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by milecollector, Aug 31, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. milecollector

milecollector Active Member

Status Points:
    Interesting story regarding a couple flight changes I made... hoping someone can provide some insight if and how I should further deal with UA on this matter.

Original ticket, ticketed in April:
    EWR-NRT on UA metal (econ)
    NRT-EWR on UA metal (econ)
    Total Cost: 65K miles + $51

Changed to the following, ticketed in early August:
    EWR-NRT (econ)
    BKK-MAD on Thai metal (first)
    MAD-FRA on LH metal (business)
    FRA-EWR on LH metal (business)
    Total Cost: 102.5K miles + $96 + $75 change fee

I recently logged into my UA account and saw there was a change to my itinerary (but I couldn't identify the change anywere in regard to flight numbers, times, etc.) At this point I thought I might be able to get my intial flight changed to business without having to pay the $75 change fee (due to the itinerary change [that I couldn't identify]). I called in, and was told the change was made, and I was never asked for additional miles or money. I just got the ticket confirmation e-mail, and realized that my flight on Thai was changed to business at well:

EWR-NRT (business)
    BKK-MAD on Thai metal (business)
    MAD-FRA on LH metal (business)
    FRA-EWR on LH metal (business)
    Total Cost: 102.5K miles + $96

My first thought was the agent switched that flight to business to be able to swap my first flight to business without an incremental charge, which was not my intention. I called back, and spoke to an agent who stated the Thai flight change was made by Thai - as there is no business seats available any longer.

First question - has this ever happened to anyone - having class of service changed after being ticketed? Is it allowed? Do I have any recourse?

Then, I asked if I was entitled to any refund of mileage since I was originally booked in first, and now it was changed to business. The agent proceeds to tell me she doesn't know how I was ticketed at 102.5K because this award is supposed to cost 120K miles and that I needed to pay the balance. She put me on hold and I hung up.

Second question - are they allowed to ask for additional miles after being ticketed?

Thanks in advance!
    Mark

2. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    To answer your first question, it has happened to me before and they usually do re-accommodate on another flight with First Class available to UA however since you were redeeming two separate awards into a conjunction they manually priced the itinerary and most likely gave you the wrong amount so my answer to your second question is that they cannot ask you for additional miles after being ticketed. The ticket will be honored as is, so if you wanted to make a change to it you will have to pony up the additional miles.

UA does not allow a Round the World award at 102.5k in Business Class, i.e you are not allowed to cross both the Pacific and the Atlantic for North America to Europe awards at all so you got lucky there. Even if you were doing a stopover in Tokyo, you're only permitted to cross one ocean.

The Award Chart shows that...
    North America to Europe O/W in Business Class is 50,000 Miles
    North America to Japan O/W in Business Class is 60,000 Miles
    Bangkok to Europe O/W in Business Class is 62,500 Miles

I don't see where they got the 102,500 Miles from as well so the agent is correct in charging you for the full amount of Miles.

3. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    It looks like this priced out as a o/w in Eco for 32.5K and a o/w in F for 70K.

4. milecollector

milecollector Active Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I suppose I'll stick with what I'm ticketed now since it appears I'm getting a good deal... although I was looking forward to Thai first and (potentially) LH first. ;)

5. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah it looks like that way, they never reissued it correctly so bank error in the OP's favor...