Share AA Miles

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by manfromkrypton, Feb 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. manfromkrypton
    Original Member

manfromkrypton Silver Member

Status Points:
    My dad has 500K miles sitting in his AA account that he says he never plans to use, as he is now a *A guy. I asked him if I could have it, and I plan to use his miles to book me some award tickets, but I also noticed that you can "share" AA miles. I had a few questions if someone knows the answer?

1. The site says you can transfer/receive 100K miles a year. But it will only let you do it 25K at a time. Is there a wait period between transfers? It works out to be $1,120 for 100K miles.
    2. The fine print says: Until February 28, 2011, members may transfer up to 100,000 miles and receive up to 100,000 miles per account, per calendar year. So what happens after February 28th?
    3. Do these miles count towards lifetime miles (for lifetime elite status)

If this works, I can get 155K miles (100K miles shared + 40K purchased + 15K bonus) for basically $2,240. Is that worth it? Or should I just ask my dad to book me award tickets from his account, or for rev tickets, have him call AA and use his miles to upgrade me?

2. serfty
    Original Member

serfty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I believe that would be your best option.

3. buschoi
    Original Member

buschoi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I always agree you should have your dad just book the awards for you. Why spend $2,240 just to transfer miles. You can do better with MR with that amount of money - get both miles and maybe some status with AA.

TuesdayMass likes this.
  4. arkleseizure
    Original Member

arkleseizure Silver Member

Status Points:
    The transferred miles would count towards lifetime status, but it would be a very expensive way to do it. I'd take the advice of others and just have him book tickets for you.

5. noam
    Original Member

noam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely just have him book tickets from his account.

6. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    Definitely just have your Dad go ahead and book the tickets for you with his miles; it's much too expensive otherwise. My father was in a similar situation; switched to CO for work, but was sitting on half a mil AA miles he'd racked up and had no interest in using. My husband and I found some first class awards we wanted and wiped his account out right quick. [​IMG]

Gotta love Dads with miles!

7. gemac
    Original Member

gemac Silver Member

Status Points:
    No. I believe the limits are cumulative per calendar year.