Shanghai

Discussion in 'Luxury Hotels' started by Flying Bat, May 20, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am considering either the Grand Hyatt or the Shanghai Expo InterContinental.
    Views appreciated.

uggboy and Kalboz like this.
  2. NYCAdventurer

NYCAdventurer Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would consider the Park Hyatt, as it is one of the tallest hotels in the world and I believe it has the tallest swimming pool in the world. If not staying there be sure to check out there bar, the view is spectacular and comparable to the views of the paid lookout on top of world financial.

uggboy, Kalboz and Flying Bat like this.
  3. riceoven

riceoven Silver Member

Status Points:
    Grand Hyatt might be more accessible to the main parts of the city. Although slightly older, the 50+ floor central atrium still is amazing to see and the grand club is very nice. I haven't stayed at the IC but when I was at the Grand Hyatt, I noticed their hotel internet let me access facebook and other sites the great firewall of china usually blocks...I found that curious.

uggboy, Kalboz, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  4. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Atrium is definitely awesome! Plus the Grand Hyatt is in the super-cool-looking Jin Mao building. Of course, the bldg itself is quite Gothic and not everyone is into that, but it's fascinating architecture nonetheless.

uggboy, Kalboz, sobore and 1 other person like this.
  5. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thank you all for your valuable insight. 21 days and counting.

uggboy, Kalboz and jetsetboy like this.
  6. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hope you have a great time!

7. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you want to be in Pudong- I would also suggest the Shangri-La Pudong on the Horizon Club levels. There are two towers- one modern and one more classic. The service is exceptionally good.

I like the F&B at the Grand Hyatt a lot- however I find the buidling is frequently crowded with tourists taking photos etc- if you are OK with that go for it.

IF you want to be in Shanghai and not in Pudong- a new choice which is quite good is the Andaz- hardly the top of luxury however it is a much better hotel than both the Four Seasons and the RC and has a wonderful location for tourism right in the thick of Xiantindi.

8. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have made a final decision which I think is a good use of points - but I still need to choose:

Daily rates

Hilton Waldorf 25k points + CNY 636 / King Deluxe Room
    Westin spg 4800 + $45 USD

I think that the Waldorf might score on position and grandeur but what do fellow MP members think?

9. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Waldorf. No contest.

10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think the RC Hong Kong is the highest pool, but it's indoors if that matters. The outdoor pool at the W Hing Kong is also up there, although it is dwarfed by the RC, something like 125 floors to 86

uggboy, 737823 and Kalboz like this.
  11. jetsetboy

jetsetboy Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Puxi section (where you'll be staying) is a good base from which to explore. Right in the middle of the action, but also close to the attractions just on the other side of the river in Pudong.

12. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yes I am sure that you are right. I am now looking forward to being holed up there for 3 nights.

uggboy, Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  13. dc3
    Original Member

dc3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The Hyatt is great. Nothing beats being able to wake up on the 88th floor and look down on the clouds below!

jetsetboy and Kalboz like this.
  14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Agreed- however as a first time visitor to Shanghai I would not stay in Pudong unless I needed to for business.

uggboy, jetsetboy and Kalboz like this.
  15. Flying Bat

Flying Bat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Will there be any benefit for Hilton Gold - room upgrade, or otherwise?

uggboy likes this.
  16. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Flying Bat,

I would email the hotel directly and ask them- particuarly if you are on a redemption+cash stay to understand what they will give you in this case and/or what upsells are available.

Flying Bat and uggboy like this.
  17. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The RC HK is definitely the highest infinity edge pool currently. The W Pool is on the 73rd floor, IIRC and is overshadowed by the RC HK. If you are sitting in the RC HK club lounge looking east and look down, you can see the pool deck from above.

18. 737823

737823 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ive stayed at both the RC Shanghai Pudong and Park Hyatt Shanghai. Facilities wise, the Park Hyatt is more to my liking with smooth minimalist Tony Chi designed interiors. The RC Pudong is an excellent choice, but the design can be a little over the top. Service at the PH Shanghai was not where it should be but again the RC and PH are in different categories especially if one is comparing a Club Level experience. If the novelty of staying at one of the highest hotels in the world moves you and you like the minimalist design, go for the PH. If you're looking for good service and luxury go for the RC.