Shanghai Westin Bund Center - Master Thread

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Jslo, Nov 2, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Jslo
    Original Member

Jslo Gold Member

Status Points:
    I really enjoyed my recent two night stay at this hotel- why? The platinum upgraded room, the good english spoken by the friendly staff, the ultra helpful concierge desk, the delicious breakfast buffet spread, the classy plat lounge, the always present/responsive doormen.

The room was very clean and a platinum upgrade was given at check in without asking. I stayed in a Jr. Suite on the 11th floor of the "new" tower. I had two colleagues in rooms in the "old" tower who are not SPG members- and they said their rooms were great although I did not see them myself. One thing I liked was the singular isolated suite entrance, which is accessed if you turn to the right when coming off the elevator, it is the only room there which is kind of a cool effect. Not much of a view from this room, and really in general the hotel itself is in a bland area. That would be my only negative, the location is fine but nothing special. Having said that, it is < 5 min walk to the actual walk/bund on the river. It is also a short walk to Nanjing St. E or W which is a casual/fun walking street with alot of activity etc.

If you come out of the hotel and turn right, down maybe 2 blocks on the other side of the street is a sandwich joint called Wagas which had excellent food and sandwiches in particular. The hotels breakfast buffet was extensive and tasty. While out and about I enjoyed a meal at Din Tai Fung for some dumplings. Even though it is a chain it is widely appreciated. I recommend the Din Tai Fung at this location as it is in a hip bar/walking area which has some great shops and cafe's. All things considered a very good place to stay. There are several good SPG property options in Shanghai, so maybe next time I will try another- but the Westin certainly did nothing to discourage my return stay!
    Lobby
    [​IMG]
    Plat/Exec Lounge Entry 5th Floor New Tower
    [​IMG]
    Jr Suite
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

uggboy, garyst16, theskyflyer and 2 others like this.
  2. Good review, thanks. I'd love to goto Shangahi sometime.

uggboy likes this.
  3. garyst16
    Original Member

garyst16 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the review. This was one of the hotels I was considering for my upcoming trip to Shanghai; however, I selected the Le Royal Meridien instead. I arrive on the 20th of this month and will also be posting some comments regarding my experiences. Always good to hear some first hand knowledge. Your review is appreciated.

uggboy likes this.
  4. sendaiben
    Original Member

sendaiben Gold Member

Status Points:
    I stayed here for one night in early March 2012 by myself on business. The hotel is grand, and the enormous classical lobby space drives that home to you immediately. There is a five story atrium above the restaurant, and the glass stairs on the sides are enough to induce mild vertigo!.

The good:

-was upgraded to a small but very well designed suite on the 16th floor. The well-positioned mirrors made it look much bigger than it actually was.
    -the lobby space is spectacular
    -the evening spread in the lounge was incredible: at least half a dozen stand out items, possibly the best I have had
    -staff interactions all very good

The bad:

-there was some noise from the street, even up on the 16th floor
    -the lifts are a bit erratic with keycards needed to operate them
    -the location is not quite as convenient as Le Royal Meridien

Overall:

This is a wonderful hotel that treats elites very well. I enjoyed my stay very much, and was especially impressed with the lounge.

Breakfast is available downstairs in the lobby and in the lounge: the lobby has a bit more variety, the lounge is quieter/more private, neither stood out as better.

It's a toss-up between this and Le Royal Meridien: this is better in a lot of ways, but LRM has the better location and hard product :confused:

theskyflyer and uggboy like this.
  5. theskyflyer
    Original Member

theskyflyer Silver Member

Status Points:
    This is a pretty solid hotel, but I avoid it these days because it has a very slow, unreliable in-room internet connection.