Shanghai the World's Largest Airline Hub - 1.1 Million Passengers a Day

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by GoodBoy, Apr 10, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. Shanghai's Hongqiao Airport Terminal 2

Terminal 2 of Hongqiao International Airport in Shanghai is a massive airport terminal built in 32 months as part of a $9 billion world's largest transportation hub, which handles 1.1 million passengers a day, that connects the air terminal with the city’s buses, subway platforms and a new high-speed railway network. While Heathrow Airport Terminal 5 in London took nearly six years to build and cost $6.5 billion, Hongqiao’s Terminal 2, roughly the same size, was built in less than half the time for a third of the cost. China is planning to build 100 more airports by 2015.

Let's hope it hold together better than the trains:oops:

guinnessxyz and uggboy like this.
  2. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    The Shanghai Hongqiao airport (SHA) seems to be overtaking Pu Dong airport (PVG) on overall traffic, but I think that PVG still has the most foreign carrier int'l traffic. Nearly all domestic traffic is through SHA, although I had made that assumption once for a domestic flight, only find out after arriving at SHA that my flight departed from PVG, one hour away! There was a horrific downpour that day that slowed traffic but I did make my flight...barely :)

GoodBoy and guinnessxyz like this.
  3. RestlessLocationSyndrome
    Original Member

RestlessLocationSyndrome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kind of scary to think that if the new bird flu virus (H7N9) does become transferable human to human, that it will be kicking off right in the busiest airline hub in the world.

Just another reason why China has to continue to improve their communications/response to viral outbreaks.

GoodBoy likes this.
  4. You would never know that from yesterday's mid afternoon traffic at Pudong(PVG). We waited over an hour to clear immigration and they had every wicket open as well as sending foreigners to the Chinese Citizens line. it was horrendus.

GoodBoy likes this.
  5. You mean just like other parts of the world did for the SARS outbreak. ;) They have signs everywhere about the current bird flu.

GoodBoy and NYCUA1K like this.
  6. NYCUA1K

NYCUA1K Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not to mention temperature guns that might get you quarantined on arrival if you should have a fever...

GoodBoy likes this.