SGS vs Le Merid Bangkok for lowly Gold

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by jmail1, Jul 11, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. jmail1

jmail1 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I used to travel to BKK quite frequently as a PLT SPG but have since curtailed my travel and reduced to Gold. (On a side note, my wife is also Gold. Wish you could combine your status when traveling together on leisure to become the equiv of PLT for just that trip!) This was also before the LM existed, so our choice was always the SGS due to the massive breakfast, ease of jumping on the BTS and the wonderful staff.

We'll be back in August and I'm trying to decide where to stay. The LM comes out to about $100US a night vs. $150 for the SGS. We'll be there for three nights and the purpose is to pickup a few suits and relax. The SGS pool has always treated us well with its enclosed feel. We won't spend a tremendous amount of time at the pool but it is a bonus.

I understand the the LM is very close to the Sala Daeng stop? I know it is close the Patpong but that is not a negative in our eyes. We have a massage parlor nearby we like (a legit one!) and will eat at Le Bouchon in Patpong at least one night.

Given that a suite upgrade is not likely, what's the overall general opinion of the LM vs SGS? I understand the LM breakfast is actually better than the SGS? How about the pool, overall rooms, experience, etc?

Thanks!

Kalboz likes this.
  2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    IMHO The SGS has superb customer service, a beautiful pool and magnificent public areas.
    The pool at the Westin is awful - I usually forget and then go see it, say yuck and leave, it is institutional and service is perfunctory.
    I've never had breakfast at the Westin (except the comp. one in the lounge), the SGS breakfast is really nice and I've had it b/c it's complimentary for Plats.
    If it was me I would pay the extra $50 ;)

Kalboz likes this.
  3. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    I love the LM Bangkok. I'd suggest you try it since you've never been and have been to the SGS. The spa at the LM is great (even though you note you have your own place too) and the pool area is nice too. I love the breakfast at the LM especially because of the Jean George breakfast items. The buffet is huge at the LM. I found the service to be exceptional while I was there. The hotel is quite modern and trendy and offers something different from SGS. Also, love it cause it's close to Jim Thompson outlet store! Can't go wrong with either, but the LM is great in my opinion.

Kalboz likes this.
  4. Mark.Dragon
    Original Member

Mark.Dragon Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kalboz likes this.
  5. NEVERhome

NEVERhome Silver Member

Status Points:
    Second the spa, and I love the rooms yet the main reason would be the clientele they are well dressed polite and considerate, at the other place hotel guest are allowed to bring in outsiders, supper time with the dim lighting maybe ok, but breakfast time it is confronting to face the realities of life,

Kalboz likes this.