SFO - which terminal does LAN operate from..?

Discussion in 'SFO/OAK/SMF/SJC | San Francisco Area Airports' started by Gaucho, Sep 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    If someone knows... please advise. For all my looking, I cant seem to figure out where this is and LAN's 0800 is just too lousy and Im rather impatient today....

Thanks,
    Alex

jbcarioca likes this.
  2. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    The international terminal, A side. AA's in terminal 2 at the moment, if you need to connect.

jbcarioca and Gaucho like this.
  3. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hmmm.... how long between Terminal 2 and Int Terminal A.... do I have to take the train...??

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also need to check on the lounge situation... wonder to which dumps my Priority Pass cards will let me into...

jbcarioca likes this.
  5. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, you can walk (though outside security) between all the terminals. Depending on how much luggage you have and how fast you walk, it shouldn't be more than 5-10 minutes. I haven't timed it, but I suspect you'll get to your destination terminal faster by walking than taking the train.

The AA/VX terminal 2 has only one lounge, as far as I know. AA's Admiral's Club, behind security. Don't know much about PP and whether that gets you access.

6. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've walked it. It's about 7-10 minutes, depending on the crowds, your carry-ons, and how fast you walk. You're walking around a circle, from approximately 5 o clock to 12 o clock Though the AirTrain is useful for getting to and from BART and the rental car center, it requires a number of escalators and stairs and some waiting. It's not optimal for between-terminal trips.

Priority Pass gives you the RCC in the Intl Terminal and AS lounge in Terminal 1. The Admiral's Club is as new as all of Terminal 2 is, and Terminal 2 is very nice indeed.

EDIT: Oh, and changing terminals is all land-side (as is the train). So you'll have to do the TSA waltz again. Sorry.

jbcarioca likes this.
  7. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    None - the 2 remaining ones are airside in different terminals.

jbcarioca likes this.
  8. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Admirals Club.... darn, I doubt my PP will get me into that.... :(

jbcarioca likes this.
  9. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    OF course, arriving internationally ensures that whether you change terminals or not (i.e., even if you continued from the same side of the international terminal, you'd have to pass TSA after customs/immigrations).

10. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    SFO has 2 international terminals...... now I cant remember which one I left out of.... but do remember when I called LAN that the dumb agent didnt know SFO had 2 international terminals... :oops:

jbcarioca likes this.
  11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Well, the dumb agent actually was right. There is only ONE international terminal at SFO. It just has two concourses -- A and G -- that happen to not be connected behind security.

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/atsfo/non-flash/

jbcarioca likes this.
  12. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    thats not how they are labeled at SFO.....

jbcarioca likes this.
  13. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I am fairly certain SFO thinks of it as one (the) international terminal. Look at the map at that link. Or this one:

http://www.flysfo.com/web/page/orphan/arr-dep/index.html

International Departures

International flights depart from SFO’s International Terminal. Check-in desks are located on the Departures Level of the Main Hall.​

Or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco_International_Airport#International_Terminal

jbcarioca, Gaucho and Bay Pisco Shark like this.
  14. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    There is one international terminal. It has 2 piers.
    The old South Terminal (now 1) used to have 3 piers, all behind separate security. Now, there are 2 piers, each behind separate security.
    The old North Terminal (now 3) has 2 piers (one temporarily closed). They were each behind separate security, plus, the close-in gates each had their own separate security. Now, the entire complex, through to the G side of the Int'l terminal is all airside together.

This is not an uncommon situation, where the same terminal has different piers with different security.

15. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    how are the gates labeled.......... they have different letters, dont they...?

jbcarioca likes this.
  16. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    Gates 1 through 12 have an A attached. 91 through 102 (or so) have a G attached. There never were gates higher than 90 when the terminal was built, but there used to be gate #s starting at 1 in part of the old South Terminal that was demolished.

I think the master plan is/was to have a letter attached to each gate, because the 20s and 30s are in the B pier, the 40s in the C, the 50s in the D, the 60s through 80s in the E and F - although there never has been a letter attached to the gate #.

17. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    There you go.... I rest my case, there are 2 terminals. A and G.... you even have a different skytrain station for each terminal...

jbcarioca likes this.
  18. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    No they don't. In fact sometimes there is a domestic UA flight that leaves from the International terminal and many people (including me) discover that to their chagrin after they have trucked themselves all the way to the end of the domestic gates that in fact their gate is in the international terminal.

And to validate the previous post - there is only one physical international terminal building. It straddles the entry roads. Once inside some flights leave from the left hand end of the building, others from the right hand end. Because it straddles the front of the airport and the Skytrain track oval, there is a Skytrain stop on either end of the terminal.

jbcarioca likes this.
  19. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    No different letters.... wow, then I need my memory and my eyes checked, I could have bet that there are two sets of gates with different letters. I guess I stand corrected... :oops:

jbcarioca likes this.
  20. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just went back to a post above.... and a SFO native says that gates do have different letters to them..... so, bonnerbl.... are you sure they dont have different letters..???

Im not arguing that there is not only one actual " Terminal "... just that to the normal travel person... if you have gates with two different letters assigned to them... and there are two different stops on the monorail system... the automatic thing is to feel like there are actually 2 terminals....

I understand the concept of a large terminal and two train stops... its just that this is counter-intuitive.... (whatever that means)... :p

jbcarioca likes this.
  21. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I understand that someone who's home airport terminal looks like some deformed amoeba in the diagram might be confused.

22. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Status Points:
    And before you get all "pissy" :p tell me after looking at the departure floor of Terminal A that I'm wrong :D ezeiza-map.jpg

23. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    How frustrating this is SFO has a labeling deficit. Once one is accustomed to it, no problem, but strangers to Baghdad by the Bay are confused. It has been thus for years but the source of confusion seems to alter from time to time.

Good luck, Gaucho. You'll be fine.

As for "deformed amoeba' it really is not necessary to denigrate any of our magnificent airports here in Mercosul. None of them are really respectable. SFO is less offensive than any of ours, isn't it?

Gaucho likes this.
  24. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    As much as I love Buenos Aires... EZE is indeed a dump and a friggen' disgrace.... so yes, Dr. Pisco's assessment is on target and our pathetic international airport deserves all the denigration that can be tossed against it.... :oops:

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  25. Gaucho
    Original Member

Gaucho Gold Member

Status Points:
    Please dont insult the poor amoeba's... its not their fault EZE is such a lousy specimen in its species....