SFO Weather

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by Captain Oveur, Jan 25, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Using SFO more and more as a connection airport. I try to avoid ORD in the winter, trying to figure out if there are months to avoid SFO. Are there months when SFO is more susceptible to weather issues, such as fog?

2. Infinite1K
    Original Member

Infinite1K Silver Member

Status Points:
    The weather these days is so unpredictable.

But generally SFO gets bogged down if there is fog and/or rain since they fall back to using only one runway for landings.

rwoman and Flyer1976 like this.
  3. Rob
    Original Member

Rob Gold Member

Status Points:
    This month. Coming over the bridge this morning, it looked completely socked in.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It can be foggy in the summer too--and cold.

Captain Oveur and flyer_o like this.
  5. harvson3

harvson3 Silver Member

Status Points:
    From November to April it can rain. For the rest of the months, and often November to April, it can be foggy. That's true from about Santa Barbara and on, going north.

I assume you're connecting from Asia if the connection choice is between ORD and SFO, correct? I was overwise :confused:.

Captain Oveur likes this.
  6. adambadam
    Original Member

adambadam Silver Member

Status Points:
    Summers can be just as bad as winters. It is also more a time of day thing. Landings in the morning can be very susceptible to ground delays because of fog. It gets worse on the shorter hops where you haven't left at about 8am and they keep you on the ground because they know they have too many planes that are already in the air from the east coast. Take offs are usually not delayed in a case like this unless the inbound plane is not there yet which can make a connection sometimes tricky (unlike when you have weather in ORD where a t-storm will delay everything because ramp workers have to take shelter. Once the fog burns off everything returns to normal though until the evenings if the fog starts rolling in again, though that would be a pretty late connection to worry about.

7. Morsel
    Original Member

Morsel Active Member

Status Points:
    Seconding the notion that the key is time of day more than season.

SFO put out a pretty clear, and slightly geeky, guide about this a couple years ago:

[pdf] http://www.flysfo.com/web/export/sites/default/download/about/news/pressres/ref/pdf/weatherops.pdf

September-October are probably the clearest, but still hit or miss. Winter can be worse because the clouds are more likely to linger all day. I live across the bay along the bad weather approach, and I could tell that our winter rain had finally arrived last week when I started hearing planes overhead.

8. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually, no (never been to Asia).

I moved to SoCal last year and I sometimes go to Canada, and sometimes better options are through SFO.

Thank you to everyone who have replied.

harvson3 likes this.
  9. SFOtoORD

SFOtoORD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I've typically found that Jan-Mar and July - early Sept are the worst months for fog and rain at SFO. Those aren't the only times you'll face delays, but most typical.

Also, early morning departures are fairly reliable since many of those plans RON or come in from Hawaii. Mid-morning thru mid-afternoon are busy hours with higher potential of delay. Finally, when you're inbound to SFO (just like ORD) the flights inbound from the nearest airports seem to get the most delay. So, LAX and SEA can be tougher inbound airports. The only good news on LAX is that there are so many departures to SFO that sometimes you can standby to an earlier departure that is delayed (if they have seats).