SFO to ORD delayed - other options?

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Travel' started by nonstopski, Jan 2, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    My flight from SFO to ORD (AA2356) is delayed by 20 mins (get in at 8:45 PM instead of 8:25), which means i'll likely miss my connection from ORD to DCA (AA2346, leaving at 9:10 PM). This is the delay AA is showing, weirdly it is not showing the ORD To DCA flight being delayed. If it's also delayed i could at least make that second trip. TripIt is actually showing a longer delay for the first flight for some reason.

I booked this with American Airlines miles and am wondering if I have any other options other than American Airlines for finding a different flight? AA will have to get me on the next ORD to DCA flight, but those flight times are generally awful. I'd much rather just get a new flight from SFO to DCA/IAD/BWI and avoid Chicago, but not seeing anything from AA that is flying today through Dallas, etc. that will work with my flight times.

I'm only able to get to SFO by 1 PM due to a connecting flight before my SFO->ORD. So, that limits me a bit as well.

Any ideas folks? Especially interested too why the ORD to DCA flight isn't being shown as delayed yet.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
  3. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    No weather waiver in place for ORD right now so that's not going to help you. http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformation/travelAlerts.jsp#!travelPolicy

And, as you note, there aren't really any other options which work with your flight times. You're already on the last flight in to DCA for the night from ORD and AA doesn't have anything late into BWI and nothing at all into IAD.

Newscience and nonstopski like this.
  4. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info on the weather waiver. So that just means I can't change flights without the fee. But if I get into ORD late, they still have to get me on the next AA flight to DC don't they (even if it is the next morning)?

Any thoughts on if there eventually *will* be a weather waiver?

If my second flight isn't delayed I probably have 0-5 mins before the doors close when I get into ORD. Curious why it also hasn't been delayed.

5. MSYgirl

MSYgirl Gold Member

Status Points:
    When I've missed connections on AA (mostly my plane being late to DFW and missing the last flight out to London) they put me up in a hotel and rebook me for the next day. If your rebooked flight is much later than the hotel check out time, I've seen other travelers request hotel credit for two days so they don't have to spend half a day walking around the airport. YMMV, of course.

6. Newscience

Newscience Gold Member

Status Points:
    FWIW, the AA footprint at IAD (or BWI) is very small. When I caught an AA IAD-MIA flight a month ago, I asked at the information desk as to where the AA lounge was at IAD. The fellow working there pointed to where a full-sized advertisement for AA was pictured on a second floor level, and he said that the AA lounge was right where the sign was located, until they closed it a couple of years ago. Perhaps the "new AA" will pick up a couple more gates at IAD and BWI, but they are definitely giving up many of the few that they now have at DCA.

nonstopski likes this.
  7. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yea, definitely noticed that about AA at IAD. It's unfortunate. Maybe the merger will change that.

How many hours ahead of time do flights usually get delayed due to weather? My 9:10 pm flight out of ORD hasn't been delayed yet... Is that partly because it's still 8 hours away?

8. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Another possibility is for me to get on the 2 pm flight out of SFO through DFW to DC. It gets in at midnight and I avoid Chicago. But that's more miles plus $80 in fees from AA. But it guarantees I get in tonight. My other question is on canceling the initial award travel. Couldn't I just chose not to fly on it, lose the miles, and not get charged the fee? Although that means I'm booking two flights in my name on the same day.

9. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Probably too late now, but I'd ask the agents at the airport to reroute on the DFW connection because of the weather/short connection. If there are seats for sale they'd likely do it gratis.

nonstopski likes this.
  10. nonstopski

nonstopski Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ended up getting on United flight. My flight was canceled and the flight through DFW was also canceled