SFO to Greece in Sep/Oct - Help Pah-lease

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by gskow, Jun 3, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. gskow

gskow New Member

Status Points:
    Planning a honeymoon trip to Greece (land in Athens) from SFO and I have ~40K Chase points at present in addition to 40K Capital One and around 40K Jet Blue points. Should have another 10K points by October. Now Wife has 30K Chase points as well.

Would love advice on using points to get the best deal I can. Thanks in advance!!

2. ariosto

ariosto Silver Member

Status Points:
    The minimum miles you would need 120,000 for both of you round trip on united which can be transferred from chase if you have the saphire. JetBlue does not actually help your cause for this trip.

gskow likes this.
  3. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    Each Get a United C.C.,they will get you 50k each --and--- each one of u ad the other as autho user --now u will have 55k EACH PLUS THE 2K SPEND U WILL NEED TO DO --transfer the( 3k) ur points u will need to reach 60k each to UA

One of you get Hilton reserve card it will get u 2 nites in Athens Hilton WITH GOLD for free brkfst

not many Chain hotels on the Islands -- best is Starwood,they have the most Hotels ---- 30k sign up being offered now it will not get u much hotel time

look into using your chase points to "pay" for hotels on chase travel as they have "all price points"-- if need more points chase freedom card is no fee and low spend and now have 20k special offer -- if can cover spend get CHASE sapphire for 40k chase points

gskow likes this.
  4. iolaire
    Original Member

iolaire Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would not depend on credit cards to get you somewhere in September or October, especially if you have the financial ability to make the trip without points. It takes some time to generate the points. Then once you have the points you need to be able to find award space to get you where you need to go.

If you plan to go ahead with it, start looking at the UA site for saver award space and figure out how likely that the space will still be there last minute once you have the points... But then realize that space you see today may not be available once you have the points, there also is a chance that new space will open up.

gskow, edekba, alfagirl and 1 other person like this.
  5. TravelBear

TravelBear Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have to agree with Iolaire. While it is possible to go with points you are cutting it very close to really depend on having the points unless you play this game well. I am also planning on Greece in late September as well but it won't be on points but it will be pushing me toward status I want.

anileze, gskow, edekba and 1 other person like this.
  6. charlesfromage

charlesfromage New Member

Status Points:
    I would tend to agree with the others. I'm also based in SFO and keep a pretty close eye on all of the directs to Europe (we are heading over this summer). If you're OK with a little risk, which is probably a tough sell for a honeymoon, you could wait until just a few days before. You might have enough Ultimate Rewards points at that time and United and Lufthansa will sometimes open up availability. It seems like BA doesn't do that as much.

Of course, if you wait until the last minute, your fiancee might reconsider the whole trip. ;-)

gskow likes this.
  7. gskow

gskow New Member

Status Points:
    You guys are amazing! Thanks so much for the info.

8. stan
    Original Member

stan Silver Member

Status Points:
    did not realize you plan to travel in a few months --- will be hard to collect and book in time --BUT-- I would think about ur one year anniversary and get the cards now so that u can travel whenever

9. Slow_Mustang
    Original Member

Slow_Mustang Silver Member

Status Points:
    To meet the required spends, CC acquisitions should be done over a period of time. Please be aware that a 5K spend for this card and 3K for that one and 2K for yet another one; everything times 2, since both of you would apply for the cards to accumulate the benefits, can come to a sizable spend, and the funds charged to the new CC's have to be paid back at the end of the month. No required spend met translates to no miles/points even with a thick stack of new cards. In your case the spend on wedding/reception might be a way out for an anniversary trip.

Good luck with everything.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014