SFO: St. Regis @ 20K SP or W SF @ 12K SP?

Discussion in 'Starwood | Preferred Guest' started by Mike Reed, Nov 30, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    All -

Will be turning a week in SFO for business into a weekend getaway with the wife. We have a function in the city on Friday night and want to stay in SFO proper. Looking at the SPG site I can get the St. Regis for 20K SP a night or the W SF for 12K SP a night. Given the rates are close to the same and that I've stayed at the W SF before but never the St. Regis, is it "worth" the extra points I'd put out for two nights?

I like the W experience (it's one of my favorite hotels in SFO when at conferences like WWDC, etc.) but would really prefer the more "upscale" experience of the St. Regis if only as a "reward" to my wife for all the travel I do. That along probably makes it "worth" it to me - it's just hard to swallow 16K SP of difference for two nights.

Having the points isn't a problem - I just spent 80K on a Hawaii trip and have 80K left, and earn around 10-15K/month.

What MIGHT change this is that I have suite upgrades available to use, too. IMO, the W properties (because of how their room types are structured) aren't as good for Suite Night upgrades (the W Ft Lauderdale being a glaring positive difference - suites there make a BIG difference). If there's a significant suite difference at the St. Regis, that may do it, too.

Thoughts?

Kalboz likes this.
  2. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Me ... I'd go w/the W since I dont earn as much SPG/month as you. But as you said it, its a reward to the wifey & you make up the difference in about 1 Month I would spring for the St. Regis.

3. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pulled the trigger on St. Regis. Happy wife, happy life. :)

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think you will be happy with this choice.

5. pantanal

pantanal Active Member

Status Points:
    You will be happy. The st Regis has an awesome spa. Your wife can enjoy it. Your wallet not so much

Kalboz likes this.
  6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'll just have to play higher limit poker before this trip... :)

Kalboz and TRAVELSIG like this.
  7. VeryGoodPoints

VeryGoodPoints Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mike, you'll be very happy with that decision. I love the St Regis SF. I like the W too, but for a lux weekend with your wife...St Regis is a great choice. Enjoy!

Kalboz likes this.
  8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Between that and our third anniversary as a stay-cation (family in town, so don't want to be away too long) at the W Austin, Starwood will be helping us have a good winter.

Add to that I should have my ambassador by then (100th night is sometime in mid-December) and who knows? :)

Kalboz likes this.
  9. dbaronowitz

dbaronowitz Member

Status Points:
    I've stayed at both for biz and pleasure, and the W gives more value for your points. If you are Platinum status, nothing beats the suite upgrade at the Westin on Market Street

Kalboz likes this.
  10. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:
    Value how? In what terms?

Sent from my iPhone using milepoint

Kalboz likes this.