SFO ops, in case you cared

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by violist, Feb 6, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. violist
    Original Member

violist Gold Member

Status Points:
    An e-mail that was recently sent to SFO-based UA employees.

Many of you have been asking about the Continental operation at SFO and when we can expect to be operating out of the same terminal.

Although we will not fully combine our operation until we obtain the Single Operating Certificate from the FAA,
    we plan to move the CO operations from Terminal 1 to our terminal, Terminal 3, by June of this year. CO will have dedicated gates 88, 89 and 90.

We are also working on consolidating our Cargo operations. That will happen before June as well. In order to make this all work, do expect to see some additional North America flights operate out of the International terminal.

United will be taking over the ground handling, above the wing, for United Express at SFO effective April 1st.

As such, we are in the process of hiring CSRs and Supervisors for that operation.

This is just an FYI as you may have noticed the postings on SkyNet and/or external job search sites.

2. Minnesota Bruin
    Original Member

Minnesota Bruin Silver Member

Status Points:
    What the definition of "ground handling, above the wing"?

3. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    AA vacates their space in T3 when they move into the new T2 in April. I wonder if UA is getting their space to open those three gates for CO.

4. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

FriendlySkies Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'm going to guess that "ground handling, above the wing" means the gate counters, jet bridge ops, while below the wing will be the UX employees marshaling the aircraft, unloading bags, etc..

5. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    That's exactly it. The customer-agent interaction now will now have a United employee involved, rather than the current SkyWest employees.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  6. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm still curious as to why UA decided to run above the wing ops.. IIRC, outsourced staff are a bit cheaper than mainline.. Personally, I'm glad that these flights will be run for mainline staff. I've run into a few UX staff that get very confused when you try to do something simple.

Freddie Listo likes this.
  7. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My guess is it's exactly because of the service level. At a station such as O'Hare or SFO, where IROPS tend to be more frequent than say, DEN/IAD/LAX, having an agent that is likely to be better trained with the systems makes for a more efficient process.

8. Art234
    Original Member

Art234 Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I think that slowly but surely the airlines are finding it was more expensive to outsource customer service at the airports, and that experienced, well trained professionals actually save money in time of IRROPS and otherwise.

jupper and Daringdoo like this.
  9. HeathrowGuy
    Original Member

HeathrowGuy Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's a practice imported from the CO side of the operation. At CO's hubs, acutal CO employees, at minimum, handle all above-the-wing ops for all CO/COEX/COCO flights. This is why we CO FFers don't notice a difference in the quality of gate agents handling a EWR-MCI ERJ vs. a EWR-HKG 777. It's a smart move for UNITED to make given the need for union representation elections in the near future for the combined carrier's airport staff -- CO's ticket counter/gate agents are nonunion, and DELTA has proven that the company can prevail (i.e., keep the merged group nonunion) if the agents believe they're being treated well (DELTA similarly insourced above-the-wing work that was being done by contractors and regionals).

Flyer1976 likes this.
  10. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm very happy about this move! While I have met a few amazing out-sourced staff (PWM), I think this is a change that I will like! ;)

Think this practice will expand to the other hubs? Might make the IAD A gates a better place.

11. mersk862
    Original Member

mersk862 Gold Member

Status Points:
    A big part of why the Delta above-wing staff kept the union off the grounds was because of sheer numbers - Northwest had outsourced much of its above-wing customer service during bankruptcy and only had it at about 30 stations. Delta had kept above-wing at many of its stations.

With United/Continental, United has mainline (unionized) agents at every airport that sees year-round United mainline service. I don't believe Continental has anywhere near that amount of stations with CO people working at it, which might put the union at an advantage (and hence why management might be trying to make this situation look more favorable for keeping the union off property).

12. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    Doesn't US Airways also plan to move into T3, to consolidate all three North American *A carriers (UACO, US, AC) under one roof? http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/SFO_(UA)#Long-Term_Terminal_Re-Alignment seems to confirm that they'll move into at least some of the space vacated by AA's move to T2. Not sure if they'll need it all.

Sean Colahan likes this.
  13. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I didn't know that was the grand plan. Thanks for the link.

14. FlyinHawaiian
    Original Member

FlyinHawaiian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Overall, perhaps a good thing, but there is at least one very good SkyWest gate agent who will be missed.

hulagrrl210 likes this.
  15. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    If UA is hiring to fill those positions, maybe he/she could move over from Skywest?

16. FlyinHawaiian
    Original Member

FlyinHawaiian Silver Member

Status Points:
    Perhaps, and I don't know the specifics, but there may be union/compensation/tenure factors that would preclude this.

karung99 likes this.
  17. RichardInSF
    Original Member

RichardInSF Silver Member

Status Points:
    Kaj who I never met but regularly posted maybe?

18. sfogate
    Original Member

sfogate Gold Member

Status Points:
    Current information......CO Cargo moves April 14 or thereabouts. Ticket counter/gates make the move on May 9.
    The AA current space will be re-done and I do believe UA will expand into it.

19. karung99
    Original Member

karung99 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I like your Mai Tai picture.

20. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    As with all rumors [​IMG] I've heard that UA will take some of the old AA gates along with US and AC moving into the old AA terminal and creating a mini-*A hub terminal

Freddie Listo and FriendlySkies like this.
  21. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    So I guess when CO moves in June the President Club will close... I hope they will move the PC staff into the RCC, since we will need someone who knows how to work things on the CO side...

At the LAX RCC last week they could not change my CO seat assignments for my CO flights, and I had to walk over to the PC to do that, even though the ticket was purchased via UA.

22. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I'm sure they will do that. DEN & MCO have CO agents in the RCC.. In DEN, the blue carpet has even found a home :eek:

Golfingboy likes this.
  23. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is just the beginning of the blue carpet invasion!

;)

24. FriendlySkies
    Original Member

Status Points:
    I know that station manager at my local airport. Maybe I can persuade him to give me a red carpet :D

goalie and Flyer1976 like this.
  25. Golfingboy
    Original Member

Golfingboy Gold Member

Status Points:
    They would be a great replacement for our welcome mats at home ;)

But I am afraid that it will give our visitors a sense of entitlement then before we know it we are surrounded with DYKWIAs.

FriendlySkies likes this.