SFO Online Check In for International Flight?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by splat, Jun 19, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Sorry for the rookie question. I have 4 Bus Class tickets SFO-NRT (all seperate confirmation #s). Should I check in online 24 hrs before then check in luggage at counter or can I do it at the curb and go straight to security with my printed boarding pass?

Thanks!

2. Mackieman
    Original Member

Mackieman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Unless the folks traveling on those PNRs have flown internationally recently, there is a high probability that you'll be required to scan your passport at a kiosk or have a ticketing agent check you in and verify your passport in order to get boarding passes. Since you're checking bags, you can try to check in via OLCI at the 24 hour mark, but if you can't, plan on seeing an agent to check the bags and get your boarding passes.

desamo likes this.
  3. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! 2 Adults 2 Kids - I was worried about last minute seat changes by United since we all have different confirmations. I'll try OLCI but I'll just plan on getting to SFO ealier.

4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    No curb bag check at the SFO international terminal.

I wouldn't be too worried about last minute seat changes.

5. Wandering Aramean
    Original Member

Wandering Aramean Gold Member

Status Points:
    Even if you get the "This is not a boarding pass" you can do seat selection in the OLCI process.

webdes03 likes this.
  6. webdes03

webdes03 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Like Wandering Aramean said, you can still use the online check-in. If it is required for you to show your travel documents, it'll issue you a form of a seat request card that'll say "This is not a boarding pass". It will store the seat selections you make during online check-in, and once your documents are verified in person, the agent will print your actual boarding passes.

We went through this process recently. I had flown international with UA plenty of times, and mine cleared just fine, but my girlfriend was new to UA and her passport wasn't in the computer. It's a pretty painless process, especially if you're already going to the check-in area to drop off bags.

7. splat

splat Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks for all the replies. I'll try to remember to post a trip report.