SFO: New AA terminal to open April 14

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by tom911, Feb 10, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/peninsula&id=7952055

The video on the evening news that accompanied this article indicates there will be an Open House on Saturday, April 9. Will link the news video if it shows up.

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
  3. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I dont think so American is opening an expanded AC in the new terminal. Not sure why they would do that if the move is only tempoary.

4. miamigrad
    Original Member

miamigrad Silver Member

Status Points:
    Correct. AA's "permanent" home will eventually be in T1 (see bullet #8):
    http://www.flysfo.com/web/export/si...out/commission/agenda/pdf/minutes/m021810.pdf

Eventually, when the longer term renovation of Terminal 1 is done, American will move to its permanent home in Terminal 1 adjacent to its One World Alliance partners who are all in the I.T. Boarding Area A.

5. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    I thought so, I just couldn't track down the info. Thanks for the link. I'm guessing AA was probably subsidized by SFO to consider the temporary move to have agreed to it.

I don't fly through SFO often, but I might just to check out the new digs.

6. roadwarrior365
    Original Member

roadwarrior365 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I stand correct. Wonder how long they will stay in the new terminal?

7. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The local ABC affiliate has added the video to their web site now (same link as in post #1).

8. Scott
    Original Member

Scott Silver Member

Status Points:
    From the article, this sentence stood out to me:

Slow food? Is this new? Older terminals already provide this. For example, Chili's at MSP and On the Border at LAX perfected it many years ago. ;) This is especially the case when I'm trying to make a tight connection. [​IMG]

9. TheBeerHunter
    Original Member

TheBeerHunter Silver Member

Status Points:
    I absolutely cannot wait for the new and expanded Admiral's Club! The current one is always so overcrowded, it can be rather uncomfortable. I always feel like everyone is a bit too close for comfort.

10. Totally! Was there in Jan, and every bar stool was taken around me. It felt a little claustrophobic.

11. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess I'll have to plan a trip to SFO on April 9 to tour the new terminal. Don't expect to find myself flying AA or VX this year. Is the terminal connected to T3 behind security?

12. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I recall reading an article that long-term they do intend to connect it to other terminals, but right now there's physically no way to connect it to T3 without building something like they did from T3 to international there. I think that connection has only been open about 2 years now. About the only point you could access it would be behind the T3 existing TSA AA checkpoint where there is an electronics store. I guess they could knock out that electronics store and have a doorway come in there. Once you're past that area it's all gates.

I hope they do have a larger bar, and maybe a nice area to sit across from the bar. Would be nice if they have some PCs along the wall like they have in the JFK AC (not that I need one, but many travelers do).

13. weinskkb
    Original Member

weinskkb Silver Member

Status Points:
    I asked about the move at the AC this weekend and was told the temporary move to T2 in April would be for a long time. She said it was going to be for such a long time she couldn't even guess when the permanent move to T1 would take place. Didn't think to ask about the size or the ability to connect to other terminals. It does get crowded at times in the current AC.

14. JY1024
    Original Member

JY1024 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Saw the sketches in the SFO AC this weekend. The new AC looks nice! I'm looking forward to it! As mentioned by others, the current AC does get a bit crowded. Plus, the Hobart glasswasher/sanitizer at the bar makes the entire lounge smell like stale dishwater to me. :(