SFO-JFK transcon on 757?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kw335, Oct 14, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Doubtful related to the recent announcement of SFO pilot base closure, or the decision to ground some 757s, but this flightaware tracker indicates that for the past few days, AA16 SFO-JFK was operated using a 757. Could just be an aircraft sub- but for 4 days in a row?

I'll be on this flight next Friday - wonder what would happen if the flight was indeed subbed to a 757. I'm on a full fare J.

TheBeerHunter, rwoman and jbcarioca like this.
  2. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Although AA20/24 do normally have 767 there are a good many 757 on the route too. UA, DL,AS come to mind. Not that I like them but...

rwoman likes this.
  3. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    AS don't operate 757s, and they don't fly between SFO and JFK (AS don't operate to JFK at all anymore).

jbcarioca and rwoman like this.
  4. sukn
    Original Member

sukn Silver Member

Status Points:
    If you are on full fare J and your plans are flexible, obviously you have the option to change to another flight without penalty. Personally, that's what I would do assuming the aircraft-sub was done with suitable notice.

As for those who are upgraded prior to the sub-change, they get a phone call (if it happened in advance) or told at the gate they are going to be downgraded.

I got one of those phone calls a couple of weeks ago and chose not to fly LAX-MIA when the 757 was subbed for one with an international configuration and F seats went from 22 to 16.

5. kw335
    Original Member

kw335 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I doubt they would give advance notice of the sub. I've checked inventory and seat maps for the next week- still showing 762. Even on the flightaware log there has been a sub from 762 to 763, but none was loaded as 757/763 at the moment.

I was just curious if indeed they subbed it to, say 75L (or even the regular ghetto 757), where would they be putting the excess J customers after all F pax are accommodated.

6. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow. This is a material downguage if it is correct.

I hope it would at least be a 75L...but somehow doubt it.

7. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    Obviously I made a mistake on that one. It was unforgivable, I know, especially here. AS would not make such a cheesy move anyway. Sorry..

rwoman likes this.
  8. Microwave
    Original Member

Microwave Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wasn't being a jerk, just pointing out the facts. Hope I didn't offend.

9. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth, FlightAware is showing that it's been a 762 again since Friday the 14th.

I've actually experienced two last-minute UP grades from 757s in the last months, one HNL-LAX to a 763, and one DFW-LAX to a 762. Both times it was after the boarding pass had been issued, leading to a "<Kansaskeith> if you're in the boarding area, please approach the podium," which always makes me nervous. And on the DFW-LAX one, the crew was all out of sorts once we got on board, saying that they too found out only at the last minute as well, and it made a mockery of their F meal planning, having to call for last-minute extra trays and drink glasses, etc.

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see a lot more of this among the 75's-76's-77's as AA fights through the budget cutbacks, the pilot retirements, and the older 75s and 76s having to be yanked out of service for maintenance at the last minute, leaving whatever is left to substitute in. Just my opinion, of course.