SFO-JFK frequency reduction?

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by demkr, Jun 26, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Just noticed a schedule change for a Thanksgiving reservation and checked the booking system.

AA Flight 12 SFO-JFK (9 am or so departure) and AA Flight 17 (7:30 pm or so departure) JFK-SFO Have been pulled-seemingly reducing frequencies between SF and NYC from 5 to 4. If true, capacity has just been reduced on this route by an entire 762.

Can anyone confirm if they have indeed done this? In my view, this is going to dramatically affect upgrades on this flight--30 J seats and 10 F seats would be pulled if/when the major change takes place.

Update: It looks like it's a seasonal reduction as AA12 and AA17 are loaded for April 3, 2012. Still stinks though!

JohnDeere19 and tom911 like this.
  2. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Looks like the last day for both flights is November 16. I don't see either of them on the schedule for random December and January dates I checked, either.

3. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    I do notice that B6 is adding a JFK-SFO and this could be an AA retreat. Sigh. This is my sacred cow route. I can't justify it anymore with this scheduling...

4. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    This stinks.

5. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here in SF bay area we have dealt with so many schedule reductions, downgauges, and destination losses in the past year and a half that we must have lost over 1000 seats all in told.

We've lost direct service to: STL, BOS, SNA,OGG, and HNL after Sept. 7th.
    The OAK station was closed in 2007 (DL, UACO, US et al still fly there).
    The SJC station and former hub has been reduced significantly. Admirals Club closed down last year.
    We've lost widebody aircraft to: MIA, DFW, ORD. DFW and ORD routes are mainly all 737s and lots of 757s were removed.
    We are now starting to notice reduction in service to hubs and scheduling that either allows for inconvenient or long connections.

What I valued (can't speak for everyone else) was the ease of upgrading on widebodies and the decent scheduling to JFK. They've now apparently taken another 100+ seats away from the station...and like I've said I've stayed loyal throughout..but once they start chipping away at the remaining flights to the all-important cornerstone stations, it makes it very hard to continue flying with them, not only because upgrades just became much harder, but because of scheduling and downright convenience. NYBanker said it best. This just stinks. :(

tom911 likes this.
  6. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    AA's cornerstone strategy doesn't fit well with keeping strong service in SFO sadly. Which does suck, but it's the current name of the game. :(

7. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yep. We found that out the hard way last year:mad: -- but to flip that around, what about the NYC folks, the alleged cornerstone market where AA is outnumbered, who need to get to the bay area? From EWR and JFK, UACO dominates frequency-wise and seats by far, and DL offers more frequencies as well. Add that to B6 and VX's offerings, and you wonder where AA's 4 little flights with a huge schedule gap (7 am - 12:45 pm in SF) fit in.

8. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Where do you think Jet Blue fits in here with the overall game plan? Could we see code shares from SFO/OAK to JFK, for instance, at some point down the line? Granted there wouldn't be upgrade opportunities there, but give me the same amount of AA miles and I'd fly from here to the east coast with Jet Blue.

Looking at their schedule from SFO to JFK they have nonstops at 1049 and 2115. That 1049 flight is pretty close to the 0900 AA flight that is being eliminated. BOS flights are at 0700, 1350 and 2227. IAD flights are at 0700 and 1839.

Looking at their schedule for nonstops from OAK to JFK, BOS or IAD, all are overnight flights. I'm surprised they don't have any east coast nonstops during the day. The only daytime option I see is JFK via LGB wth a 0853 departure.

From what I've read of the current Jet Blue relationship on select routes back east, you get base miles which are not EQM and nothing else. A stronger relationship with AA could change all that.

9. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    This gets into a whole new game of looking at revenue, connections, market share, etc which are well above most of our levels of information. I'm guessing AA thinks they can serve SFO-NYC with it's current flights as well as connections through ORD/DFW/LAX. Whether they're right or wrong will be shown in a few years.

I can understand your frustration though. If AA scaled back at ORD suddenly and conceded the market to UA/CO, I'd be far from pleased myself.

10. JohnDeere19
    Original Member

JohnDeere19 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I can see it now.
    AA announces that it will only continue to fly 1x SFO-JFK daily, 1x LAX-JFK daily, and 1x JFK-LHR daily...all other AA flight will be cancelled and you can fly on one of our partner airlines if you want.

demkr likes this.
  11. demkr
    Original Member

demkr Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tom, I definitely think they are trying to butter up B6 for something. They essentially handed BOS to them on a silver platter, and nearly methodically eliminated overlapping routes to places like SJU for instance. As B6 adds a flight in Q4 from JFK-SFO, AA pulls back. Interesting indeed.

Tenmoc and Sean Colahan like this.
  12. Tenmoc
    Original Member

Tenmoc Gold Member

Status Points:
    If I could actually earn eqm on B6, as much as I did not enjoy my first experience with them, I wouldn't mind that. The general lack of a real domestic partner has been a thorn recently for me with AA.

13. Christian Martinez
    Original Member

Christian Martinez Gold Member

Status Points:
    I haven't flown to SFO at all this year as AA has made it much more expensive for me to do my usual JFK-SFO-LAX west coast runs. As a result I've done alot of JFK-LAX nonstops. This doesn't help matters at all.

I wanna see the new T2 which would be worth the extra connection...and the extra miles!

14. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You forgot to add that demkr's head will explode.

All in good fun, demkr. I know how near and dear SFO issues are to your heart. ;)

Tenmoc and JohnDeere19 like this.