SFO/CDG Suggestions for the Business cabin

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by Bay Pisco Shark, Jun 18, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    Requirements:
    (1) Must be able to earn AS or UA EQMs. This means the entire *A and DL, AA, AF, KL
    Preferences:
    (2) Prefer (but not required) that the first point of entry to the US on the return is SFO (eliminating any domestic carrier).
    (3) A lie flat (180 degree, not the slip and slide "flat") is desired on the overwater segments.
    (4) Decent food and drink wouldn't hurt.
    (5) An airline that isn't going to give issues with the standard "fine in the USA" rollerbag carry-on.

I've never flown AA/DL/AF/KL longhaul (nor AF or KL at all). I also wonder if the front cabin of a 2 cabin plane is going to be better than the mid cabin of a 3 cabin (such as AF, UA, AA, LH). As much as I was recently pleased with the LH inflight soft product in C, the slanted seats were horrible. And I haven't been to CDG for ages, back when UA had a nonstop, and when UA was an airline one actually looked forward to flying. Comments welcome with the + and -.

2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Of the skyteam contingent, only DL has lie flats. I found KL's angled flat to be much more of a slip and slide than AF or DL's. Beware unrefreshed 763s on dl which have cradle seats.

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  3. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    LX SFO-ZRH-CDG. Fully lie-flat in J and you can even get a "throne seat" (seat on the side with storage area on either side, with window and direct aisle access). Bank the miles to UA.

I haven't flown LX in the J cabin, but their food in the F cabin was amazing, so I'd think that J wouldn't be too far off.

My other choice would have been BA SFO-LHR-CDG, but unfortunately, they don't earn EQMs on AS.

DL doesn't have international flights from SFO, that's the problem.

I'd recommend UA, but their 777s/747s out of SFO all have 2-4-2 in the J cabin. Even though they are fully flat, yikes!

Bay Pisco Shark likes this.
  4. Bay Pisco Shark
    Original Member

Bay Pisco Shark Gold Member

Status Points:
    I assume that LX @ ZRH makes for an easy connection, much easier than FRA. Are new config LH C (incl. A380) flat?

5. daemon14

daemon14 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I'd say that ZRH is much easier than FRA to connect. The Senator lounge there isn't bad either.

Only the LH 747-8s have new flat C, and currently they fly to IAD only. A388's have angled.