SFO-CAN route, PLEASE START SOON!!!

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by spkg, Mar 8, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Now that Delta has announced that they are re-starting the NRT-CAN route, do you guys think that might push United to start as well, or are what little chances there were before just gone now?

I would appreciate any piece of now or information regarding the status of the route.

2. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess that would be really nice for folks out west. I prefer to decompress in Shanghai for a day before moving to the zoo that CAN is, but I def see a value in this route.

I wonder if demand is there yet, since so many people just go via HKG and cross into China by land. I could see a ton of silicon valley traffic to CAN. Apple alone could probably fill up a front cab a week.

3. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    I wish that was the case, but that's the part of the plane they'll probably be having trouble filling, I flew NW's NRT-CAN route quite a bit before they canned it and the front was always empty.

HKG is the main reason there's so little services to CAN from the US, there are many people who I meet on the SFO-HKG route that's actually bound for CAN(i guess myself included). The ferry is always a pain if you don't have someone picking you up in the Mainland, and if the flight is ever delayed, you're stuck going through HK customs, taking a bus, crossing Chinese customs, taking another bus to get the CAN. Flying into CAN is just so much easier especially now the subway line to the airport is up and running.

My guess is that UA is still a little worried that it might cannibalize traffic from the HKG routes, that's why I think AA is actually the perfect airline to fly a CAN route.

4. Ygor
    Original Member

Ygor Gold Member

Status Points:
    I know getting to CAN from HKG can be a hassle. That why I would rather just fly into PEK or PVG and connect.
    I think you are right about a CAN direct service taking lots of HKG traffic. Maybe you just answered your own question?

5. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    Or connect in LAX and take china Southern

6. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    no miles on most fares, no thanks.

7. spkg
    Original Member

spkg Silver Member

Status Points:
    Hell no for PVG, because most flights from Shanghai to Guangzhou flys out of SHA, and connections are simply nightmarish in PVG. PEK is a little better but it still means flying on CA or something, which doesn't yield full miles on low fares or status bonus.

HKG flights are getting packed these days, the who reason UA delayed the launch of SFO-CAN was because of the economic down turn, now that its pretty much gone, its time to fly!