SFO-BOM biz class soon, will it work?

Discussion in 'Newbies' started by MD0811, Aug 10, 2016.  |  Print Topic

1. MD0811

MD0811 New Member

Status Points:
    Hi there! Shy newb but here goes. I'd like to do SFO-BOM roundtrip premium fare sometime in Dec-Jan. No airline preference, dates flex. The main purpose is getting a lie flat seat for a decent duration. That looks like approx 150k in miles. I am willing to pay up to the equivalent of econ ticket price (1k-ish) in fees, etc to do so. I need to know if there is a realistic targeted strategy to get there from ground zero in miles/points from now? What do you recommend? If this winter is too aggressive, then how long am I looking at to accrue for a premium fare from US to India?

I'd like to visit family again and its a long haul I've done a few times before. I really would like to go for comfort on the overnight this time, and a decent meal wouldn't hurt. So far I am a single traveler. Its possible I may have a companion, and I may add on a connected trip to SE Asia. But for the sake of the question, I'd like to assume the original itinerary from above unless its relevant for more effective hacking.

Long term I would like to take a couple of domestic trips and/or an international annually at very little cost, econ is (mostly) fine. I reviewed the basic ideas of travel hacking some time ago but only seriously started thinking of jumping on it. I have good credit, pay off my Amex Everyday consistently, hold approx 1k in expenses on that card per month. Not much more I can do in terms of transferring more bills. I do not have any other rewards cards and about 25k UA miles. I lose understanding of how to seriously accrue more points after the initial cc rewards offers without some major manufactured spending. That seems intimidating to a newb if you need 100k+ miles a year and you have no reimbursable business expenses.

2. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I would look to Chase and United, but that is me...

Chase offers Sapphire Card, and many United cards...easy to do 150k...,

edekba likes this.
  3. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you wait a few days; Sapphire Reserve will award 100k UR points ... but then again timeframe is tight

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am going for the Sapphire Reserve, when it opens if 100k is there, my wife says no more cards for her...

We have been unable to use the miles, as home is best.but in time women change their minds..:D

edekba likes this.
  5. MD0811

MD0811 New Member

Status Points:
    My time frame is not set in stone. I would really like to go late Dec-Jan for the work scheduling convenience. The sooner the better but I can push it further through Feb. Has there been anymore release information on the Reserve? That sign up fee is ouch, but I guess it could be applied to my econ equivalency.

6. edekba

edekba Gold Member

Status Points:
    Well nothing is yet super defined but in theory $450 AF = $300 in airline credits (We don't know yet how that is defined/used/applied.) + 100k UR points + Lounge & 3x on dining its not tooo bad compared to the Sapphire Preferred

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    The price if anything is not the final cost.

If you can use the perks, and are ahead of the game, I go for it.

A free night in a hotel you never use @ $49.00 AF is not worth it..unless used,,,

Too many miles expire unused...

Go to some seminars, it is a fun game, Chicago has one in October about $100.00, 2 day deal...