SFO and CLEAR at terminal #3 premier lines

Discussion in 'Travel Security' started by bonnerbl, Aug 20, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Note I sent to CLEAR about SFO Terminal #3. The CLEAR station that isn't.
    Please fix the CLEAR situation at SFO terminal #3, premier lanes. The CLEAR attendants are not delivering me to the end of the conveyor belts but simply to the end of the line for -all- passengers. So tho I have just had my id checked, fingerprint scanned, boarding pass checked by CLEAR, I now must stand in line for the TSA id check, boarding pass check, and questions. This makes the CLEAR process totally redundant and useless. Convenant Aviation Security staff at that station told me it is entirely CLEAR's problem. That you have been asked to fix it and deliver people directly to the conveyor belt but you haven't. Please explain this to me. Thanks.

Travelsavant likes this.
  2. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Meanwhile, Pre-Check works great.

Travelsavant and goalie like this.
  3. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Maybe. My boarding pass had precheck on it. Should have taken me to the end of the conveyor belt. They didn't. That is the whole point of CLEAR.

Travelsavant likes this.
  4. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

You should have gone to the TSA Pre-Check line (past door 13) and ignored the Clear line, then.

[​IMG]

Honestly, if you have Pre-Check and are on a Pre-Check airline (e.g., not Southwest) and at a Pre-Check airport, then use that. It's far better than Clear.

jetsetr and Travelsavant like this.
  5. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    With TSA Pre I don't see the point of CLEAR anymore or the added expense.

Captain Oveur and Travelsavant like this.
  6. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    But precheck doesn't work everytime. Especially for overseas trip it often doesn't work. Nevertheless clear has gone off my radar since it is usually closed when I need it or they don't do their job as documented above.

Travelsavant likes this.
  7. mht_flyer
    Original Member

mht_flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    For what it's worth -- I travelled to LJU and DEL in two different trips and pre check worked for me on those intl itineraries.

8. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

Note that "to the front of the conveyor belt" is not a benefit of PreCheck. You get access to a separate line, instead, where you don't have to play "security theater" and remove liquids, laptops, shoes and coats. MUCH faster.

Not sure if CLEAR allows you to skip the conveyor belt line to the front, or if it should just dump you in the back of the conveyor belt line having skipped the longer security line. Once checked by CLEAR you shouldn't require re-check by TSA. In fact, if you have CLEAR and Pre-Check, the CLEAR folks are supposed to be able to direct you to the PreCheck conveyor.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed Gold Member

Status Points:

And if you're not on a PreCheck airline, playing stupid works, too, if you use your GE card as ID at the podium (assuming, of course, you have no status and there aren't elite lines to get around the throng). I've known people to do that flying Southwest out of Austin... even though Southwest doesn't use Precheck: "Oh, I have it with Global Entry and it works on American/United/Delta/whoever, so I thought it worked with Southwest, too!"

10. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Update from CLEAR. They were nice enough to call me. SFO terminal 3 is undergoing major changes to the security setup. That is why CLEAR opened up where the elite lines are. However when CLEAR did that the TSA required them to redefine their processes for that specific location. Because of "congestion" there TSA would not let the CLEAR attendants take people to the end of the conveyor belt. The situation is " temporary" until the construction is complete. The CLEAR guy on the phone admitted that this now made CLEAR redundant at the elite lines and of no value. Offered to renew me at no charge. I declined.

On the other hand, the TSA response was "we've been complaining to CLEAR all along but they won't take people to the conveyor.

The security theatre continues.

11. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    This is actually not true for Pre-Check lanes. For example, Clear integrates with PreCheck in Denver. You pass through Clear line and then scan BP again at PreCheck. About 6 weeks ago they changed the procedure and TSA now requires your ID again with your BP at their desk as well. Should it be that way? Probably not. But, it is.

12. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    If after you are cleared by CLEAR you then are cleared again by TSA that makes CLEAR redundant and a waste of $$$. That is my point :)

13. Pizzaman
    Original Member

Pizzaman Co-founder

Status Points:
    In a vacuum, I agree. But, what happens when/if the PreCheck lines get longer. If TSA's prediction of 30% of passengers being eligible for PreCheck comes true that may increase the wait times. I agree CLEAR has a long way to relevance, but TSA's ability to mis-manage themselves may turn out to be a boon for them.

14. desamo

desamo Gold Member

Status Points:

TSA has no chance of mismanaging themselves at SFO, though. :-:

15. LIH Prem
    Original Member

LIH Prem Gold Member

Status Points:
    Brian, did they move from where the old elite lines were? Before pre-check I used it and they used to deliver me to the conveyer belt, but I haven't used it since pre-check started working for me.

-David

16. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Precheck, Clear, and Elite lines are in the same spot where 1st class checking is at terminal 3. None of them deliver you to end of conveyor belt. Everyone goes thru 2 TSA id checkers including people who have already gone thru Clear. That is my point. Clear is redundant and useless at the Elite lines.

17. CommonSense

CommonSense New Member

Status Points:
    I've been through the First Class/priority checkpoint 3 times in the past 2 months and CLEAR now delivers me to the end of the conveyors/bins. I skip the TSA ID queue and go to the pre-check carry-on x-ray. T3 has had major construction going on, so suspect it will be different next week. They have opened up the old AA concourse at the other end of T3 and maybe the construction near Priority check-in is complete???

I usually fly SWA to PDX and just use the other TSA checkpoint that is not SWA: there is a CLEAR check-in at that end, and the SWA check-in is often a mob scene.