SF Raising Fares On Famed Cable Cars

Discussion in 'California' started by tom911, Jun 7, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. tom911
    Original Member

tom911 Gold Member

Status Points:
    http://www.ktvu.com/news/28155921/d...l=fran_9am&tmi=fran_9am_1_11000206072011&ts=H

2. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    There must be some discounts for regular riders, or at least monthly passes that include the cable cars. Lots of SF folks use cable cars for their daily commute; it isn't only the tourists.

3. Exiled in Express
    Original Member

Exiled in Express Gold Member

Status Points:
    I bought a 3 day pass for $20 last year, it included Muni buses and trains as well. I believe there was a 7 day and monthly passes available.

4. dhammer53
    Original Member

dhammer53 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Ouch.

SC Flier likes this.
  5. mikew99
    Original Member

mikew99 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I routinely scoff at TV shows and movies that depict characters riding an SF cable car (almost always a spotless, spacious fake one) while having a nice, polite conversation, a scenario that I always viewed as completely unrealistic. Charming as they are, SF cable cars are loud, uncomfortable, and sometimes hopelessly crowded.

Regrettably, the same could be said for SF's buses. :)

Still, I just can't see any local resident waiting in a long line of tourists to board a cable car to get around SF. I suppose in some limited set of circumstances (first run of the day?, run up the California St. hill?) it might make sense, but I figure that in most cases a bus, streetcar, or BART train would be a much cheaper and faster way to get around the city.

As a tourist, I'd pay any reasonable amount to ride the SF cable car -- at least once. Like visiting the Golden Gate Bridge and walking up Lombard St., it's one of those things that I made sure to do on my first visit to SF as a tourist many years ago (and one of those things that many SF residents have never done).

wiredboy likes this.
  6. Lynda
    Original Member

Lynda Milepoint Staff

Status Points:
    Monthly passes include cable cars. And yes, locals still do use them - you don't have to wait in line with the tourists to board them - you can catch them anywhere along the line at the designated stops. The city of San Francisco has been going out of its way to grab at money any it can and this is just one of the ways they're doing it.