SF: Dine About Town

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Dining' started by murakami, Jan 14, 2013.  |  Print Topic

1. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    For those of you living in or visiting the San Francisco - Bay Area (before the end of the month), Dine About Town starts tomorrow.

DAT is a pretty delicious and well coordinated event where a collection of local restaurants offer three course dinner meals at a reasonable price (usually 35-40$). Some also participate in a two course lunch menu.

Notable places that I intend to go to this year include 5A5 Steak Lounge and One Market.

And for what it is worth, from my experience previous years, nowhere has skimped on quality, portion size or service.

Full listing of participating restaurants and menus can be found here: www.dineabouttown.com

Edit - better link for smartphones.
    http://m.sanfrancisco.travel/dine/dine-about-town/

2. estnet
    Original Member

estnet Gold Member

Status Points:
    While it is a great idea, others have found that the DAT menus often are not a great deal and often don't offer dishes off the regular menu (many threads of chowhound.com). Hope your experience is better

3. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    Agreed. Each place does it their own way and not everywhere is a home run. Some let you pick any appetizer/entree/desert from the regular menu, others only a selection from the menu and some have special items only for DAT.

With a little research on the menus, it should be possible to mostly eliminate the surprises of cost and menu selection leaving most of the risk of a bad experience on restaurant execution.

4. youpaiyou

youpaiyou Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thanks! I'll be in SF this weekend and my wife is a total foodie.

5. FlyerTimH

FlyerTimH Active Member

Status Points:
    Yep, just check the menus before deciding to manage your expectations.

6. murakami

murakami Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hit up four places during DAT. Three of the places were great, one was good.

I am looking forward to next round.