Sexist Ads Create Turbulence for Lufthansa

Discussion in 'Miles & More | Lufthansa, SWISS, Austrian/Partners' started by canucklehead, Jun 22, 2012.  |  Print Topic

1. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:
  2. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I guess some wives were not happy....

That said, how much of this is cultural perspectives? I know some of my European friends are amused at different cultures' perspectives on relationships.

3. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I was thought that Europeans were must more laid back than us uptight, conservative westerns about things like this.

4. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    It does seem a bit insulting (the advertisements as depicted).
    Very stupid thought to come out of somewhere.
    Glad they trashed it.
    If only the same could be said (being trashed that is) about Nonstop you.

5. jrp2

jrp2 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't follow LH much but maybe if someone in marketing screws up enough they will be canned and they can get better ads.

rwoman, Lufthansa Flyer and PLUS_1 like this.
  6. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    I don't want anyone to lose their job- just some advertising that makes sense and is not offensive.

7. bonnerbl
    Original Member

bonnerbl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Am the only one who has noticed on the Megados the total absence of women in the Lufthansa management - and the only time women appeared they were FAs dressed in drindls? Might be an insight to the corporate mindset. ;)

8. Lufthansa Flyer
    Original Member

Lufthansa Flyer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Seriously? You use the DO as a point of reference? The 3 or 4 LH reps that are involved? (and I know that at least 1 or 2 are female LH'ers). I can tell you from personal experience from the people with whom I have regular contact at LH most of the contacts who are in leadership are in fact female.

Examples from my experience: head of FC services in FRA, Head of FC services in MUC, PR for the america's, Marketing Director for the America's, First Class Product Development, a long list of social media projects....all headed by females. I would say that I communicate with more females than males who are in supervisory/leadership roles with Lufthansa.

You can also refer to their BALANCE report that reports on their diversity in the workplace. What you find may surprise you. But let me help you. 35.5 percent of female Lufthansa employees are responsible for a staff and the objective is grow that by 30% over the next 8 years. At that rate, 50% of females @ LH will have some sort of supervisory role.

LH has been pushing the envelope a bit to try and break the stigma of a conservative airline. There will be growing pains and boundaries will be crossed as they learn what is and is not acceptable. Though I was not a fan of this campaign, I'm willing to give them a mulligan.....

For example, there are some great and exciting social media products coming soon that will demonstrate that LH is starting to shift to the younger, more technologically adept demographic. To me it feels like a bit of rebranding is underway.

It seems to me that we in the US tend to have this stigma. Things are shocking here are normal fare in Europe (ex. nudity on public television and in print media). I guess thats what makes the rock we live on more interesting.

You don't like Nonstop You? I've gotten used to it....gives the impression of a person always on the go. I think I would switch the words around and call it "You.......Nonstop". That would give me an impression that I was their sole focus....kind of ;)

LETTERBOY, aptraveler and rwoman like this.
  9. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    I think it's safe to say that the LH management (not employees) is very dominated by men (the girls at corp com US has a male leader.) That goes for most of LHs departments.

Just take a peek here: http://reports.lufthansa.com/2011/ar/notes/boards/supervisoryboard.html?cat=m

On all boards and committees there are a total of two women.

That said, they run a very succesful business and from the people I know in LH, the leaders are very competent and professional and if the most qualified application on the table in front of them was from a woman, the person would be hired.

I share Brian's observations on the DOs as well. The two first Mega DOs were hosted at LHs HQ and there were dozens of executives present

LETTERBOY likes this.
  10. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Which brings to mind one of my favorite lines from Nigel Tufnel: "Well, so what, What's wrong with being sexy?"

11. NewbieRunner
    Original Member

NewbieRunner Gold Member

Status Points:
    On July 1st a female CFO will take over from Stephan Gemkow who is stepping down. Interestingly the new CFO, Simone Menne, has been CFO of BMI for the last two years.

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    What metrics are telling you the business is "very successful?".

Lufthansa Flyer likes this.
  13. tommy777
    Original Member

tommy777 Co-founder

Status Points:
    In the airline industry, that they are making decent money on a regular basis ;)

LETTERBOY likes this.
  14. redtailshark

redtailshark Silver Member

Status Points:
    Germany has a conservative corporate and political culture, it is true. LH also.

Yes there are female managers, but not at the top. They are trying to change things, glasnost and perestroika indeed. Just like, well you know.

Germany is contradictory in these respects. It may be ideologically conservative but it is also the venue for female politicians exploting one another's bust size for political campaigning. Don't you remember this:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/11/merkels-cleavage-takes-ce_n_256567.html