Set Your Sights -- aka "Into the Nights 2"

Discussion in 'IHG | Rewards Club/Ambassador' started by viguera, Dec 14, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Getting shafted again as a Platinum, but that's nothing new.

Post your offers here so we can see how much better they are than mine... :)

https://setyoursights.ihg.com/

2. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is my offer...

* 10k points for staying 9 nights
    * 4,800 points for 2 wekeends -- Saturday + 1
    * 5k points for booking a package via HI Club Vacations
    * 2k points for the credit card
    * 2k points for booking a bonus package

26,200 points for completing 4 out of 5 offers. 50k total bonus points.

It's "not that bad" since I can combine a lot there, but I'm sure someone will be offered a whole lot more points for doing less. :)

I'd need to do 2 full weekends, plus 5 more nights elsewhere, and one of these bookings would have to be using a bonus package (which is generally not that bad). I have no idea if the vacations booking nights would count or if it would be counted separately, so I'd have to look at the terms.

Kalboz likes this.
  3. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A bit more info, now that I've been perusing their site...

The vacation business needs to be booked at one of the participating properties, and they're offering a special $199 rate for 4 days / 3 nights, plus you get a free 1 night cert OR 20k IHG points. Lucrative in a way, but it's certainly a pitch to get you to buy a timeshare.

And considering the timeframe, it might not be possible for everyone to adjust their plans to make it into one of these properties for 3 nights before the timer expires. Plus the legalese is vague, but you might be required to attend a 2 hour timeshare presentation.

The participating properties (at least when I looked) are:

* Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort
    * Holiday Inn Club Vacations Las Vegas - Desert Club Resort
    * Holiday Inn Club Vacations Myrtle Beach - South Beach
    * Holiday Inn Club Vacations Gatlinburg - Smoky Mountain Resort
    * Holiday Inn Club Vacations Cape Canaveral - Beach Resort
    * Holiday Inn Club Vacations Williamsburg Resort

With all that said, if you don't have plans, and you can make the dates work, and you don't mind the timeshare pitch, and you're ok with the properties, and the 3 nights count towards your offer, and you don't mind paying $200, then it might not be a bad deal.

Kalboz and uggboy like this.
  4. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    ihg_offer.png

The Globetrotter part is likely going to kill this for me. Not sure that I will actually have any international travel in the next few months that would involve a hotel. Likely even just a single trip abroad in that period.

My wife's offer is unlikely to work as well since it would require her to sign up for the IHG credit card. Don't think she'd be interested.

Flyer1976, Kalboz and viguera like this.
  5. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow yours is actually worse than mine... :)

Kalboz likes this.
  6. HaveMilesWillTravel
    Original Member

HaveMilesWillTravel Gold Member

Status Points:
    I need to work out now whether it's better to book our upcoming trips with my account or hers. I hold the overwhelming bulk of our IHG points, so that might be the deciding factor.

Kalboz and viguera like this.
  7. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually looking at it your rewards are higher, but the offer is much more difficult with that whole "out of the country" business. Although I suppose you can find some dirt cheap phantom stays that someone might be willing to help out with.

My wife is just a member, and her offer total is the same as mine but easier to achieve. 25,500 offer, plus 25k achievement for a total of 50,500.

* 500 points for downloading the app
    * 5k for 3 nights
    * 5k for booking two stays through the site or mobile app
    * 5k for booking one weekend stay
    * 10k for "2 Holiday Inn hotel" stays -- this is the tricky one since it mentions Holiday Inn Resort or Club Vacation properties.

The T&C seems to indicate that we could do just two HI stays, and they would count. The stays can include Resort / Vacation / Sunspree / Select properties or not, or at least that's the way I'm reading it.

If that's the case it's much easier than mine, as I can book a single weekend at a Holiday Inn, plus one more night as a separate stay at another Holiday Inn, and as long as I book through the site that would cover 100% of the requirements -- 3 nights, 2 stays, 2 properties. 50k points with no hassle.

Me, I have to do 2 full weekends, plus 5 nights and fit in the limited selection of vacation properties into that as well.

TravelMusing and Kalboz like this.
  8. canucklehead
    Original Member

canucklehead Gold Member

Status Points:

Good luck with that downloading the app credit. To date, mine is still showing incomplete despite the many calls, emails, twitters (I did get my RN after much push back). While my offer is very doable, considering how horridly implemented the ItN was, I think I will pass on mine.

IHG offer.jpg

9. londoncalling

londoncalling Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think they are finally getting the message I will not go out of my way to follow their contests. This by far the smallest challenge I have had. The 25 nights are easily attainable

My offers

of
    offers
    complete
    Earn 50,000 total bonus points

Complete Your offers and Your Achievement Bonus for 50,000 total bonus points

Point Value

Offer name

Progress

Set Your Sights with a Custom Hotel Search
      [​IMG]
      Find out where your interests and our hospitality can take you. Click here and earn 500 bonus points. Terms

LEARN MORE

Stay More, Earn More
      [​IMG]
      Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 25 nights and earn 18,000 bonus points. Terms

BOOK NOW

Earn More, Faster
      [​IMG]
      Earn 2,000 bonus points when you book 1 Bonus Points Package stays and get to your next reward faster. Terms

BOOK NOW

Your Achievement Bonus
      Complete 3 of 3 offers to earn an additional 29,500 bonus points. Terms

Rosalia likes this.
  10. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    25 nights though... sure it's achievable depending on your travel plans, but damn.

Rosalia and londoncalling like this.
  11. DJP_707
    Original Member

DJP_707 Silver Member

Status Points:
    Not sure what previous promo they are referring to? I did not make the 15 nights for into the nights promo, so now I got 17 nights.

ihgpromo.JPG

Rosalia likes this.
  12. Woof

Woof Silver Member

Status Points:
    Mine is fairly similar. The big problem for me is I don't want to apply for a CC, and I also want to avoid any timeshare presentation nonsense. I use the app fairly often to book already, so at least I don't have to download it and deal with that snafu.

ihg_q105_offers.PNG

I may wait to see more feedback about that "mini-vacation" package issue (as in someone else who's booked it and went to one) to see how that may go.

Woof

13. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Wow I got the shaft as well. A couple are easy wins but to get any real points is nearly impossible with my schedule and now interest level with IHG. It used to be my main hotel. Sadly no longer.

IHG set your sights promo requirements.png

Just as a bonus here is my Ironically named Into the Nights requirements required 19 stays for 14,000 points. You can see how it made me want to stay there this last quarter. Keep in mind I'm like 50 night into IHG YTD.

IHG why do you hate me? Is it because I've been loyal to you for so many years :(.....

icurhere2 likes this.
  14. daninstl

daninstl Gold Member

Status Points:
    Your in my club. I didn't make the 19 nights in the Into the Night promo so they gave me 20 now. What's next 50?

icurhere2 likes this.
  15. Flyer1976
    Original Member

Flyer1976 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Interesting...

Capture.PNG

16. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Almost the same as mine... 10 nights and that vacation thing is going to be the deciding factor.

The problem is both the timeline and the location of these properties. They have a small list and none of them are local, and I had no real plans to make my way to them before the end of April.

I also noticed that buried under several clicks you can get to the details (after reviewing the terms, after checking out the offers, after logging into the promo site :) ) and they say that "you must meet certain qualifications" and attend the two hour sales presentation. But the funky part is that if you don't attend "or are disqualified at the time of the tour" your credit card will be charged the difference between the price of the package and the retail rate for the property at the time (up to a maximum of $300), "plus any premium cost if included, and taxes."

Seems like a lot of potential issues just to chase after the points. The qualification business is standard, but I don't know if it's worth it. They mention household income, credit worthiness, etc. Now it's one thing to exchange two hours of your time for a cheap rate at the property and a few perks (such as the points), but I'm not sure how they can "disqualify" you from the tour based on your credit worthiness without running your credit, or based on your household income without you having to provide proof. Could be that they expect you to buy, and if you don't qualify then you're penalized for it?

Either way, the timeshare thing is definitely the one item in my list that will probably make me shy away from the promo.

Flyer1976 likes this.
  17. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    Mine is doable with a minimum of 3 nights and could probably be done for <$200. For those 3 nights I would amass 50K pts.

My Into the Nights promo, which I didn't make any effort toward, was 2 nights for 25K pts (or free night) twice over. So if I were to value the points this offer is better, if I wanted it for higher end hotels the previous promo was better. Not sure I'll delve into or not.

upload_2014-12-16_10-8-34.png

viguera and uggboy like this.
  18. kwai
    Original Member

kwai Gold Member

Status Points:
    And my better buffalo half has the same offer.

viguera likes this.
  19. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yeah this is the same offer my wife received as a regular member, and about as good as I've seen so far. Minimum effort and 50k rewards.

icurhere2 and kwai like this.
  20. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    You are right...too many required nights (17)
    It is not at all a good deal...

21. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Here's mine, I actually had half the numbers of stays required already booked before this promo was released, so should be doable...
    upload_2014-12-17_9-17-20.png

Rosalia and uggboy like this.
  22. Rosalia

Rosalia Silver Member

Status Points:
    Here is mine, I had stayed 20 nights and got 14000 points in the ITN, they ask me now to stay again 20 nights this time.
    I might not be able to spend $850 and 4 IHG hotels in 4 different countries is not easy to do.

My offers

Earn 137,900 total bonus points
    Complete your offers and earn bonus points towards the rewards that matter most to you.
    0 of 7 offers complete
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Congratulations on achieving the bonus in our previous promotion. Stay once and earn 5,000 bonus points.
    Get closer to the rewards you want when you stay 20 nights and earn 21,600 bonus points.
    Book 2 stays with the IHG App and earn 12,000 bonus points.
    Earn 19,200 bonus points for staying at 4 IHG hotels outside of your country of residence. You’ll earn for one hotel stay per country.
    Spend $850 on food or beverages at IHG hotels and earn 4,100 bonus points.
    Earn 6,000 bonus points when you book a stay of four or more consecutive nights.
    You earned your points, now use them how you want. Redeem your points for anything from a gift card to a Reward Night and you’ll earn 1,000 bonus points. [​IMG]
    69,000 Your Achievement Bonus
    Complete 7 of 7 offers to earn an additional 69,000 bonus points.
    [​IMG]

viguera and Lionell like this.
  23. Lionell

Lionell Gold Member

Status Points:
    Yikes that's crazy! During the ITN I had to stay 9 nights, for the upcoming promo I need to stay 11 nights. According to my number crunching I would only need 3 more Fri-Sat night stays on top of my already booked stays.
    I still gotta book something for Valentine's weekend, so that's one, 2 more to pick, either combine it with a city trip or find a cheap rate in an IHG hotel close to home and just check in and check out. Don't know yet what to do, but got plenty of time to decide...

Rosalia likes this.
  24. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    First time I've seen a straight up cash spend challenge on any of the promos. Interesting

icurhere2 likes this.
  25. viguera
    Original Member

viguera Gold Member

Status Points:
    A couple of more interesting bits while researching this vacation ownership offer.

The legalese is pretty clear that you get 4 nights / 3 days at one of the specified locations for a $199 cost, but there are not-so-hidden extras.

The package includes accomodations only, so sales and resort taxes are extra. There's also a surcharge for travel during peak season of $33 a night, and the dates change by resort:

There's also an interesting mention of "local transportation (including to and from the sales presentation)" being your responsibility, which had me digging around some more. There are a couple of reviews of similar offers on TripAdvisor showing that people signed up for the offer but were put at a different property, and were only taken to the actual resort for the tour / presentation and not the actual stay. That seems all sorts of fishy to me, so I think it warrants caution (and several phone calls) before taking the plunge.