Service Quality post-Nov. 29

Discussion in 'American Airlines | AAdvantage' started by kansaskeith, Dec 27, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    I looked both here and under "Trip Reports" to see if I saw anything on this general subject. Hope I didn't miss something, but I really didn't find much, so will start a thread.

It's obviously very early in the bankruptcy game, but. . . have you flown AA since the Chap. 11 filing, and could you notice any impact on the product thus far?

I'll start by saying "nothing obvious." Just completed a no-to-low hassle, 5-leg trip. Narrow- and wide-bodied planes (all old, but we know that!), with flight lengths varying from 48 minutes to 7:08. Included 4 Admirals Club visits.

There were several dark-humored remarks from flight attendants. Some on-board crews were very attentive and hard-working, others seemed more lazy and indifferent, but that's not really new with AA. Four of the five legs arrived early, and the fifth was "on-time," at least per D.O.T. definition. That was far better luck than my other AA trips this year, but I admit it's small sample size. On-board F menus in the longer flights were identical to a previous trip this year, but this time I really was impressed by the tenderness of the steak and tastiness of the salmon, so no cutbacks evident there.

I suppose the next "moments of truth" will be (a) when any route cuts take effect, and (b) when/if the bankruptcy court imposes working-conditions/pension changes on the employees. But thus far, if I hadn't have been looking for it so carefully on this trip, I don't think I would have noticed anything at all.

Any others have observations?

2. DestinationDavid
    Original Member

DestinationDavid Milepoint Guide

Status Points:
    It's too late now, but this type of thread is probably a good candidate for the "create a poll" feature that you can use when creating a new thread. Something like "Since declaring Chp. 11, have you found AA service to be: better, the same, worse". Etc.

I've only had 2 flights with AA since landing in ORD from NRT on Nov 29th. One was mediocre, the other was very attentive and nice. I suspect that during this entire period we will continue to see people who love their jobs and people who are less than interested in providing good service, i.e. same as always. :)

3. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    My experience with AA is somewhat limited. For TATL's, I have not noticed a drastic difference before/after declaring Ch. 11. All crews on TATL flights have been good (in Y) thus far. The crews on my limited domestic flights have been decent - nothing over/under-whelming.

I'm glad to see people still doing a good job despite recent and forthcoming challenges!

zpaul likes this.
  4. rwoman
    Original Member

rwoman Gold Member

Status Points:
    On my way to the hotel after arriving in ORD last week, it was interesting to hear a conversation between AA and UA pilots....
    - Concerns for cutbacks at ORD
    - Felt there is too much influence/focus on DFW
    - Discussion on why AA did not make more of a move at ORD when UA was in Ch.11 that could have better positioned themselves now with the combined UA/CO, especially since (I guess) AA had more cash at the time.

I do not have enough of a history flying with AA to judge...only passing on what I heard from these two individuals...

zpaul likes this.
  5. kansaskeith

kansaskeith Gold Member

Status Points:
    Actually have used the poll option before, considered it this time, but at first opted against it. Not sure it is too late, though. I still would like to keep the narratives going here, but started a more statistical poll over on the "Trip Reports" forum, and added a link there to this page. Thanks.

zpaul likes this.
  6. zpaul

zpaul Gold Member

Status Points:
    I just came off of eight flights in ten days (six domestic, two int'l), and overall I was very pleased. Out of them all there was one (DFW-MIA on 31 Dec) that had me practically boiling with anger when we landed, but other than that I found them to be good. I found the J cabin crew on my SCL-MIA flight on 21 Dec to be typical of a latinamerican-based crew: non-smiling, unfriendly but efficient. The F cabin crews on my MIA-ORD, ORD-DEN, DEN-ORD, ORD-DEN and DEN-DFW flights were exactly what I would expect for the cabin. The J cabin crew on AA225 MIA-SCL on New Year's Eve was truly spectacular, and warranted a note to AA on my behalf, I felt.

So, in my experience, this is par for the course. No change.