Server took too long to respond

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by SeeYa, Mar 3, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. SeeYa
    Original Member

SeeYa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I know this was discussed in Beta, and the reply I was given was that "it's beta, the server will be slow", but now we are Live. I am still regularly getting the red box with the text "server took too long to respond". At least now I see the text. Previously, I didn't see anything but the box. :rolleyes:
    Anyway, I use my company browser, and apparently the firewall is keeping out a lot of ads.
    There are a couple of sites that I normally have response time issues with, TripIt being one of them. Unfortunately, Milepoint is now in this group.
    I regularly have the site stop responding, or it gives me the red box. So to post anything usually requires me to shut down the browser window, and start again. I already know, that if I try to reply to a message, and the quote does not immediately appear, then once I try to post, it will fail.
    Also, when a thread has more than one page, returning back to a page previously viewed usually results in a clck up.
    What can be done to fix this?
    I really am not being as active as I could be, because it is a PITA to try to post.

jbcarioca and mcruiser like this.
  2. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    I also still have problems getting the red box ... even when using Google Chrome now ...and sometimes I had to reload a photo more than once to try to get it to show in the post.

jbcarioca likes this.
  3. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    SeeYa and Travelman, I actually had this same problem myself yesterday afternoon for a while. It seemed to be something to do with either Chrome or within Mac OS as I rebooted the machine and after that it seemed to be working well. That might be a coincidence, but I haven't had a problem since that reboot.

Is this a problem that seems to build up for you or does happen more often under certain circumstances? Also what OS/browser combo are you both using? Thanks.

jbcarioca likes this.
  4. SeeYa
    Original Member

SeeYa Silver Member

Status Points:
    I am on an older version of windows IE, which gets booted up each morning. This is a company owned laptop, with company mandated software, and what seems to me to be a high level of firewall protection.
    Certain sites, like TripIt (when tripIt Pro is turned on), and the new version of itasoftware are so slow for me, as to make them virtually unusable.
    On MP, I regularly get locked up, by which I mean clicking on links no longer gets a response. This often happens if I click on a link I had previously accessed without first using the back button, such as on multiple page threads.
    Also, when trying to post a reply, unless I get the previous text in quotes immediately, I know a red box message is forthcoming.
    So normal posting fashion (for me), is to get stuck (either no-response, or red box), shut down browser, open up, and start again. This gets old really quickly, because I always have to make note of where I was, so I can find the pertinent thread again.

5. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the same problem using IE8.

6. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am using FF3.something.

My MP pages do not fully load... the little wheel keeps spinning and spinning, and the comment at the bottom, constantly says "Waiting for milepoint.com..." This has been going on since yesterday.

Other pages on websites other than MP load fully and correctly.
    What is causing this, (in addition to slow loading pages in general)?

Chimpy likes this.
  7. secretsea18
    Original Member

secretsea18 Gold Member

Status Points:
    My loading problem seems to be fixed...
    Don't know why?

Chimpy likes this.
  8. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Sounds like all of the above problems are not likely related from what I'm seeing. One thing that can certainly help is using a more modern browser. I have had the best experience with the latest Chrome and have also had good performance with both FF 3.6/Safari. This advice doesn't help everyone of course as I know some of you have to use certain browser software because of work.

9. misman
    Original Member

misman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Receive the error for the first time this morning. IE8 with XP. Hasn't appeared but the one time since.

10. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    It's still slow for me. I'm on IE8 and XP.
    Changing to another browser other than IE is not an option unfortunately.

Might point out it was not slow like this yesterday morning.
    The slowing down was noticeable last night when I came in and then again now. Thank you

When I win the new Ipad 2 that Randy is kindly giving out, I can then use a different browser. [​IMG]

kiwi likes this.
  11. Travelman
    Original Member

Travelman Gold Member

Status Points:
    Tim, I am using three different configurations.

Home: Google Chrome on Windows Vista and IE 8 on windows Vista
    Office: IE on XP ... will have to get the IE version later for this setup.

when the red box starts it continues a lot until I normally just stop and shut down and come back later ...
    at home that means a shutdown ... in the office that just means the PC has not been rebooted - just re-logged in to the network.

Post #2 above was at home using Google Chrome on Vista ... i have not encountered the red box today yet ... and I've opened it in IE8 instead of Chrome.

12. jbcarioca
    Original Member

jbcarioca Gold Member

Status Points:
    I am not in the both. I am using OS-X 10.6.6 and Chrome, Safari and Firefox (all current releases). i get the red box about every hour. rebooting has had no effect on it. Chrome seems to be a lesser problem but still happens. Twice all images in a thread have failed to load, but other threads were ok, and on return the images appeared.

13. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Slow in IE 7 and latest FF 3 versions. Painfully slow when I try to load next page or click on what's new.

14. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    very slow again for me.

15. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Things are moving quite quickly here so I'm quite sure that there isn't something on the milepoint side of things that is slow.

16. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Think my problem Tim is all the graphics [​IMG]
    Particularly, the ones embedded on the sides and part of posts.

I need a whole heap of points to get me to the NO ADS level [​IMG]
    Either that, or one of those gorgeous new Ipad2s that are circulating the gifts section...

Tim and Chimpy like this.
  17. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sugest that you are wrong. It is slow for me at office and at home. I use different ISP's and different browsers. All are slow.

18. kiwi
    Original Member

kiwi Gold Member

Status Points:
    MP is far slower than FT on many different computers I have accessed both on.

mcruiser likes this.
  19. flying-gal
    Original Member

flying-gal Silver Member

Status Points:
    Tim.... I have done a lot of whining about the slowness.. but think I should also say a great big THANKS to you for listening and trying to help us out with this issue. You have been very patient.

20. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks flying-gal, we most definitely want to help anyone having a slow time accessing milepoint as much as we can.

21. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have not been able to find the forum or link showing who has won the ipads. Where is this?

22. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
  23. PSUhorty
    Original Member

PSUhorty Silver Member

Status Points:
    Lessee here…
    There are multiple threads complaining about the slowness of MP. They all end up the same:
    Others chime in and agree that the site is slow and that it frequently times out. Then you, Randy, others ask what OS/browser they are using. Someone else might chime in and say things are fine. You say it’s not a MP problem but rather an OS/browser problem.
    Listen, there is obviously a problem with the site or we all wouldn’t be complaining. Even if it is an OS/browser issue, that’s still YOUR problem ‘cuz WE all use different combos of systems to access your site. If you don’t wanna fix the issue, then you’ll have to deal with the fact that many will not want to frequent MP any longer.

mcruiser likes this.
  24. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    PSUhorty, there are a few threads concerning users having speed problems with MP this is true, but from what I have seen there are just a handful of people that are having speed problems on the site and we are doing what we can to help these people at this time. We ask for OS and Browser combinations for several reasons, if we know that info we might can test the site using what they are reporting as their setup (as close as possible at least, there are many other software items that could have an effect), knowing this information we can also watch for patterns or common threads of where people are having problems, and additionally in some situations we can give different or better advice to the user knowing that information.

jbcarioca and Mikel like this.
  25. KyRoamer
    Original Member

KyRoamer Gold Member

Status Points:
    MilePoint is slow most of the time to the point of distraction. ISP, OS and software do not make any difference for me. At home I am on Insght cable, Vista and either IE8 + or Firefox 3+. At the office I have a different ISP, use XP, and IE 7+. Only MilePost is painfully slow so it isn't my ISP, OS or computer or software.

The slowness makes it unpleasant and I am spending less and less time here. The pages pop up quickly enough but take a long time to finish loading. Until finished there is nothing I can do.

So MP admin can continue ask its questions, but it needs to address the underlying issues. My guess is that its software or server capacity is the issue.

jbcarioca likes this.