Server responded with an error....

Discussion in 'Feedback/Support/Suggestions' started by MSPeconomist, Apr 19, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    Within the last ten minutes, I've started getting a message and being apparently unable to post when it happens. This has occurred on several different threads and fora. Pictures and/or video were not involved, just text. When I click on the post reply button, the black and red box pops up and says "Server responded with an error. The error message is in the Java Script card." This has happened about a half dozen times and I have never seen it before.

2. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Are you using a different device and or browser than you normally do? Does there seem to be any pattern to when the error comes up? This is the first I have heard of this error, thanks.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  3. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    No, same laptop and AFAIK same wireless network that I've been using a lot. I haven't seen it recently but for a while this afternoon, I was starting to wonder if it would prevent me from posting anything at all. It might just have been a hiccup somewhere, but I'll report back if I see it happen again.

4. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    It was all with Windows XP Professional and Google Chrome. I wasn't using Java for anything else and haven't for at least a few days and several shutdowns.

5. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    Thanks for the info, I'll be watching this thread. Thanks.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  6. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    I think I may have solved the mystery. I saw the same error message twice today and both times I had temporarily lost my WiFi connection and had to relaunch my browser and click to start it up again. Then there was no problem, but I don't know why I'm suddenly experiencing internet hiccups.

However, it's strange that MP sends an error message that to me sounds like it's either a problem with the MP server or with my version of Java. A message saying that I'm not connected to the internet--either from MP or Chrome--would be much more helpful.

7. milchap
    Original Member

milchap Gold Member

Status Points:
    I have the same thing on the occasion. No changes in browser.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  8. ACMM
    Original Member

ACMM Gold Member

Status Points:
    If you are not getting the service from your server - change tables I think ;)

MSPeconomist and milchap like this.
  9. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    That makes some sense I think, the reason that the error is coming up in a different way than many other errors (in the way it is displayed) is due to the way a new post is made in our forum software. That said, there could no doubt be a better error message than that I would agree.

MSPeconomist likes this.
  10. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    This is not the "misunderstand and respond" thread. We're having entirely too much fun here.

ACMM likes this.
  11. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    A few more data points, unfortunately. If my internet connection drops me when I'm clicking on a page or refreshing, etc., I get the Chrome OOPs retry page, but if it happens when I click to post something, I get the error message from MP.

BTW, MP was slow and nonresponsive for about an hour earlier today but it seems OK now.

12. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Just this week I have had this problem again- it went away since the BETA sessions and now has returned.

13. Tim
    Original Member

Tim Admin

Status Points:
    You might want to check out your internet connection, from what I have heard in this thread so far I suspect that getting this error at least in some cases has to do with your connection dropping momentarily when you go to post. Restarting your modem/router could help with this or you might be running into this when reaching the edge of your wireless network/if your wireless network connection is broken.

14. TRAVELSIG
    Original Member

TRAVELSIG Gold Member

Status Points:
    Hi Tim- thanks for the response. It is definitely not this side of the connection- if it helps at all, I have noticed it takes place (all times in GMT): 07:00-09:00 AND 15:00-17:00, AND only on weekdays.