Serve $0 at CVS

Discussion in 'General Discussion | Miles/Points' started by TUMD, Feb 23, 2014.  |  Print Topic

1. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    I have a Bluebird so I don't use the Serve card or know a ton about it but for those looking buy and load a card it appears they are $0 until the end of March at the CVS I just went to on my VR run.

2. John Deere

John Deere Silver Member

Status Points:
    I think you can't have both serve AND bluebird at the same time...

viguera likes this.
  3. TUMD

TUMD Silver Member

Status Points:
    Yeah, that's why I don't use Serve.

4. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I picked up one the other day for my wife, showed her how to load it today,
    She say's it is not worth it, to me it is if you need to get to a certain spend level, but I would not want to push it.

I have a BB but never have loaded it other than the first time...

FTU. still kind of new to some of this. always something changing...

5. vickers

vickers Gold Member

Status Points:
    Correct. I had Serve first. Had to wait 30 days between cancellation and activation of BlueBird.

6. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    So if your partner had a Bluebird in their name, you could go to a Walmart ATM and load it up yourself using say VGCs. You could also load it via Vanilla Reloads from home. Doing it at a Walmart ATM *might* be doable since I don't think they ever ask for ID since you're just putting money on the card, though I've never tried it. Since with Serve I assume you can't use the Walmart ATM (correct?) and you can do swipe reloads at CVS... the obvious question is can you do this for your significant other or not?

7. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    With Serve I could have my wife mail me a check with their Bill Pay to the business address, and forget WM, KISS.

I load her card, at CVS they ask me for her DL, and life goes on, even have an IPad app to see the money,

We just write a check, and pay our bills...

Hate WM, waste of time.

8. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    You can present her DL? How odd. I would think if they didn't care who's card they were loading, they would just let you swipe. But to ask you for the Serve card, note that the card is not in your name, and accept your presentation of her DL? That's very odd.

boondr likes this.
  9. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    Our CVS wants to see my wife DL when I load her card,

I load it with one if mine for 500 and then give them her CC so far they failed to pay attention to the name on the 2nd load

I am having trouble loading the card from an Amex Card.

10. LarryInNYC

LarryInNYC Gold Member

Status Points:
    Sorry, I don't have any experience with Serve.

Are you saying that you can simply walk in to a CVS and load the Serve card directly from your credit card without having to purchase an intermediate product? Is there a charge for doing this beyond the amount you're loading? Is there a monthly limit? Is this allowed as a matter of policy by CVS, or do you have to find an exceptional cashier?

11. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Anybody know what AU refers to on FT? What's a "name matching AU card". Something other than a credit/debit card apparently.

12. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    NM, its "Authorized User". Of course.

13. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    You can walk in CVS give them your CC and the SERVE CARD,

They load it and you walk out the door, or give them another CC, or the same on and load another 500$ no charge,

No walking over to the rack...

5000 a month, limit @ CVS

SERVE is a product of AMEX...

BP the check to a friend, and deposit the rent check., no MO @ WM CRAP.

Sounds like a deal to me....

14. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Ditto. Sounds like there are a few things to watch out for though. Using an Amex card to load Serve will work but won't count towards minimum spend or earn you points. I think. Citi and Chase cards are fine. You can work around the Amex by buying Amex Gift Cards online and using those instead. Also you have to use a credit/debit card in the same name as the Serve card to reload. Not even an Authorized User is acceptable. Again, just reading up now.

15. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    I load with my wife cc and my cc, to the Serve.

OM promo will give me some VISA Cards also to load, next week. For my Amex AA, SPG, and the Gold one

Never used a BB CARD, will order a serve card for myself next month,

Checking it out, and so far so good....

Still new to this, MS,

16. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    Thinking about it. I've got a BB myself, and can't handle a 31-day wait to convert at this moment, though I might do it in the future. May get the wife to apply for a Serve though. For use with VRs there wouldn't be a problem, but for CVS swipe reloads I'm not certain she'd feel comfortable doing this and/or wouldn't remember to even if I supply her the info etc. So if I have to do it with her there it'll be a limited opportunity. And not clear why they'd let me load her card. Rules require you to use a credit card in her name (not even an Auth card in your name on her card is good enough apparently?) according to FY anyway so seems like a problem since I'd have to load with her card with her not present. Seems doubtful. Obviously if I'm loading from gift cards I'd have a better shot, but that adds back the hassle factor that Serve fixes. With BB I could load up her card at a WM ATM (like there are ever any working, ha!) or via VRs without any human beings involved.

17. gconnery

gconnery Silver Member

Status Points:
    BTW if you're doing your rent via BB/Serve you might want to look at Evolve Money which currently allows you to pay your mortgage, though it doesn't have most credit card providers in it yet. Could divert your mortage off your BB/Serve and increase your MS. The trick appears to be to pay all of it the same day, at least with Wells Fargo. Otherwise it probably ends up as a principal payment rather than being your monthly payment.

18. satman40

satman40 Gold Member

Status Points:
    CVS ask for the DL only of the CC holder, they do not have to be present., done this a more than one in the area, and you slide the cad, just tell them the last 4 numbers.

There is no 31 day hold on funds,, I pay no rent and have no mortgages, I am a LL. Glad to be out of debt.

So the Serve is great for paying Property Taxes, only 30 days into this venture.

Old man said many years ago, let them own the property, as long as we can tax it, regulate it...We don't care....

It is a good feeling to protect and serve....