Seriously? No more pillows in domestic first?!?

Discussion in 'United Airlines | MileagePlus' started by karenkay, May 24, 2011.  |  Print Topic

1. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Read about this on Flyertalk, and am surprised there's no thread on it here. I've been out of the country for five weeks, but will fly home tomorrow and am NOT looking forward to a SFO-ORD leg sans pillows...in first.

Seriously? Am I that out of touch that this is normal for other airlines?

karung99 and LAXNRT like this.
  2. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    Apparently it's normal for CO...

3. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    another change i'm going to like? :rolleyes:

NoFlyY, goalie and mattsteg like this.
  4. mattsteg
    Original Member

mattsteg Gold Member

Status Points:
    It's the price of trying to be the "world's leading airline"!

Full disclosure: I fly DL nearly exclusively - maybe a segment or 2 on UA or CO a year - so I don't have a lot of firsthand knowledge of the situation. It will be interesting to observe another big merger from the outside this time.

As far as I'm concerned, "normal" is pillow/blanket in first, snacks in coach, wifi onboard, and leather seating everywhere. To me that all seems pretty basic, but far from universal elsewhere. As far as a UA elite is concerned, "normal" is more legroom in E+ (and whatever other particular idiosyncrasies the UA/CO product(s) have). Hopefully more of the good will survive for you than the bad - the weaker competitive offerings get the more other airlines can get away with scaling back.

Italy98 likes this.
  5. eponymous_coward
    Original Member

eponymous_coward Gold Member

Status Points:
    Also normal for AS (they don't have blankets, either).

6. goalie
    Original Member

goalie Gold Member

Status Points:
    First we had blankies morphing into shmattes and now we will have no place to rest our tired kepe. Way to go Uncle Jeff :mad:

Travelsavant and NoFlyY like this.
  7. sobore
    Original Member

sobore Gold Member

Status Points:
    Pillows will soon be available as follows:
    • Clean Pillow - $10.00
    • Clean Pillow with Stain - $7.00
    • Dirty Pillow - $5.00
    • Pillow case only - $3.00
    Welcome to the madness of modern day air travel. :(

8. mowogo
    Original Member

mowogo Gold Member

Status Points:
    Personally, the loss of pillows is more a sign of cost cutting than any real loss. They are too thin to really be used as a pillow, and only provide minimal lumbar support. I'd much rather lose them than some of the other things they could still cut.

9. sunseeker
    Original Member

sunseeker Silver Member

Status Points:
    This makes me angry although I rarely use the pillows. I thought taking away pretzel snacks in Y was the most petty reduction ever. This is in the same category.

sobore and Scottrick like this.
  10. colpuck
    Original Member

colpuck Gold Member

Status Points:
    yes throwing stuff out that needs to be re-used is really going to encourage better service

Chic Silber likes this.
  11. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

TimeZoneCST Silver Member

Status Points:
    I hope not to offend but those things are nasty to begin with so getting rid of them is fine by me. A great alternative is a travel pillow my wife bought at Bed Bath & Beyond for $10. It's down and literally compressed down to almost nothing to store in my shoulder bag (ORD - BKK). WAY more comfortable without that nastiness and easy to carry if you want an alternative. Here's the link: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14477195

HiIslands, yaychemistry and NoFlyY like this.
  12. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    CORRECTION: Synthetic Down. But still.....

13. BurBunny
    Original Member

BurBunny Silver Member

Status Points:
    Shhh, don't give them ideas! Step 1 pillows. Step 2...??? Hot meals, maybe?

sobore likes this.
  14. gobluetwo
    Original Member

gobluetwo Silver Member

Status Points:
    Although not an explicit thread, there has been discussion about it in the "Merger Update - May 2011" thread. And I was in F Sunday evening and can confirm - no more pillows. Asked the FA, in fact, who didn't realize the pillows were gone.

15. Italy98
    Original Member

Italy98 Silver Member

Status Points:
    I will collect, after all F is full, an extra pillow or two to stuff inside the one at my seat, and give it to Mrs. Italy. I will use a blanket if an extra pillow is not available.

16. PanAm
    Original Member

PanAm Silver Member

Status Points:
    They aren't spectacular as actual bedding but I do like having the pillow for some lumbar support or to put under my legs. But more importantly, this is just a cheapskate move that is just off-putting. Domestic F doesn't have a whole lot going for it, why take away one of the few little amenities? (Yes I know why - cost cutting but come on, really?) Wiuth these little cuts they're irritating elites and sure as heck making sure no one who actually pays for F ever does so a second time. It's an indication of more devaluation to come I think.

sobore, NoFlyY and sunseeker like this.
  17. Captain Oveur
    Original Member

Captain Oveur Gold Member

Status Points:
    The more I read about how people used the pillows, I'm glad those things are gone.

TimeZoneCST likes this.
  18. TravelerRob
    Original Member

TravelerRob Silver Member

Status Points:
    No pillows in F ORD-SEA yesterday. When I did the walk of shame past F on LGA-ORD yesterday there were no pillows either.​

Other flights with no pillows: SEA/SFO/SEA.​

Basically, they're gone from the flights I've taken.​

-RM​

19. MSPeconomist
    Original Member

MSPeconomist Gold Member

Status Points:
    So far, DL still has pillows and blankets put at seats in domestic FC, including RJs. Frequently but not always the pillow looks nice and fresh. The blankets are thin, but the newer red ones seem better than the navy previous generation. My complaint as that the blankets tend to stretch out of shape so that they're not necessarily rectangular. I appreciate them on an early morning or late night flight when I tend to get cold on board. although I frequently don't use the pillow.

20. NoFlyY

NoFlyY Active Member

Status Points:
    Thank you for posting the link about the travel pillow. Is it too large to fit into a small Jack Spade-brand messenger-style bag?

21. TimeZoneCST
    Original Member

Status Points:
    You're welcome. Not sure what else you are packing but I don't think it would be a problem. I carried mine in my Tumi shoulder bag with my lap top and all my other stuff no problem

22. Scottrick
    Original Member

Scottrick Gold Member

Status Points:
    I agree. I never use pillows. If anything I find them a bit annoying, so I actually approve of the shift to CO's way of storing them in the overhead on international flights. However, they're skimping on the small details that make a difference. Sadly amusing since I was just reading an ad for LH's first class and the theme was all about how small touches make a world of difference. Apparently SMI/J thinks cutting pillows made of dryer lint and the meager ration of 5 pretzels per person is going to ensure profitability.

sunseeker likes this.
  23. karenkay
    Original Member

karenkay Gold Member

Status Points:
    Not at all offended, but I really don't want another thing I have to carry onboard. :td:

24. Frequent Freak
    Original Member

Frequent Freak Silver Member

Status Points:
    I had a pillow-free RNO-DEN on Tuesday. Come to think of it, it was also blanket-free. Be careful what you ask for with those loincloth-quality CO blankies, I guess. :confused:

However, tulips have yet to be eviscerated in either airport. What Customer Day are we on now, anyway?

25. NYBanker
    Original Member

NYBanker Gold Member

Status Points:
    +1

karenkay likes this.